Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,368 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently an undergraduate student planning for grad school. I will graduate with a BS in Biology and eventually hope to pursue a career in research or academia. My area of interest is the evolution and genetics of cognition, specifically within the hominid line.

I am wondering if I should go for a Master's first, or proceed directly into a PhD program upon finishing my undergrad. Specifically, is it looked down upon in the field to pursue a master's first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,871,047 times
In my university you were required to get a masters before you would be considered for the PHD program in Anthropology.

Seriously though, there isn't much of a market for Anthropologists and competition for tenure is fierce in academia... so the more degrees you can put on your resume, the better.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,368 times
yeah, I know that's a requirement at some, but there are also many programs where you go straight into a PhD track. I know in some disciplines such as genetics, molec bio, and biochem, it's frowned upon to go into a master's first and you fall behind the curve of learning if you do so.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,640 times
From Washington State University's Evolutionary Anthropology admissions page for their graduate program: "Incoming Ph.D. candidates are expected to have completed a M.A. (or equivalent degree) in anthropology or an appropriate allied field."

This is only one example, but I haven't ever heard of any graduate program "looking down" upon someone applying to a Ph.D program with a Master's degree already under their belt.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,395,269 times
I would get a Masters first. It will give you a chance to do more research/get more publications in the long run before you one day are ready to apply for jobs. It's important if you eventually want a job in academia to make yourself as competitive (read: productive) as possible... and to start that from day 1 of grad school. Also, whatever your masters thesis topic is can wind up as a springboard (background research) for your eventual dissertation topic.(it's all about long term planning) One of the biggest problems I see with students in doc programs is that they get 'stuck' on finding an acceptable (do-able) dissertation topic that their committee will agree on. Having completed a thesis first might give you a leg up.

Edited to add: If you're interested in primate evolution, you might some of this interesting: http://www.yerkes.emory.edu/

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,240,779 times
If you want to study this field, OK, whatever, but compared to a business or engineering science degree, I think your career choices will be relatively limited.

I think you have to do the work for a Master's as part of the path from Batchelor's to PhD.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,151,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torv View Post
yeah, I know that's a requirement at some, but there are also many programs where you go straight into a PhD track. I know in some disciplines such as genetics, molec bio, and biochem, it's frowned upon to go into a master's first and you fall behind the curve of learning if you do so.
Genetics may be a bit different since so many faculty members are MDs. I would assume looking down on master's degree holders is the exception and not the rule in most social sciences and economics. My personal experience in business tells me the overwhelming majority of graduates have useful MA degrees (for business, often economics or mathematics).

The easiest way to find out how it works in anthropology is to look for the CV of assistant and associate professors at top schools.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torv View Post
Hello, I am currently an undergraduate student planning for grad school. I will graduate with a BS in Biology and eventually hope to pursue a career in research or academia. My area of interest is the evolution and genetics of cognition, specifically within the hominid line.

I am wondering if I should go for a Master's first, or proceed directly into a PhD program upon finishing my undergrad. Specifically, is it looked down upon in the field to pursue a master's first?
I'd be surprised if you had a choice. The M.A. precedes the Ph.D. Sounds like a great field, it's one of my faves, myself.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,996,518 times
I would think that someone who is looking to do a PhD in something would be pretty much dead set on doing research in that field and not going back and forth between two studies... I'm not sure which professor is going to want you researching with him if you don't even know what you want to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities