Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,447,169 times

Advertisements

WHAT you know is more important than where you learned it. Get your education in the best way that suits your particular circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 PM

9,416 posts, read 13,091,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Plugging numbers into he financial calculator for my school... Assuming no savings, a family of 4, having $400,000 equity in their home, the income would have to be $225,000 before you stop receiving financial aid. There's very few areas where $225,000 leaves you in a situation where you cannot save for your child's education. School's expect some level of financial responsibility. If you have that income and flat broke, it's a very unusual scenario.

This is getting offtopic. We both agree that a student should not be paying $100k to be going to college (at least given the current state of higher education).
I never said the parents couldn't contribute a dime. But either they or their children would likely have to take out significant (though probably not crippling) loans to afford full freight at such a school. Even beyond that, such a student intent on attending grad school would be wise to select frugally for undergrad so his/her parents could chip in for grad school, where prestige very often does matter.

And with that, I agree we should let the matter drop.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 AM

22 posts, read 34,599 times
I guess what desire to learn at prestige schools/colleges/universities it's a normal desire for people.
But how already wrote up - you must think what you really want in your life and correctly locate your values.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM

130 posts, read 164,322 times
prestige does not really matter unless you're applying for jobs like lawyers and businessmen where you need connections and 'name' brand colleges to form those connection. besides, the world needs to fill other jobs. and they get those from non-brand name colleges. i mean only high school guidance would tell you to go to ivy league because it bolsters their school's ratings. but at the end of the day... it doesn't matter what school you went to..... it matters how well you did, internships, experience gained while in school and your love of learning.
think of it this way, are you willing to be in debt until you're 40 or 50?
but i'd stay away from schools that are unaccredited.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,091,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
prestige does not really matter unless you're applying for jobs like lawyers and businessmen where you need connections and 'name' brand colleges to form those connection. besides, the world needs to fill other jobs. and they get those from non-brand name colleges. i mean only high school guidance would tell you to go to ivy league because it bolsters their school's ratings. but at the end of the day... it doesn't matter what school you went to..... it matters how well you did, internships, experience gained while in school and your love of learning.
think of it this way, are you willing to be in debt until you're 40 or 50?
but i'd stay away from schools that are unaccredited.
Regarding law, where you go to undergrad is pretty much moot. Where you go to law school is very important, however.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,184,019 times
i dont think the names you mention are worth any more debt. if i were in your situation i'd go with the most affordable option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities