Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
.........I enjoyed these classes but too many other engineering students refused to see the value in them, particularly "Music & Art Appreciation". This class was a very easy "A" if you had any appreciation at all for the existence of classical music, and the existence of fine art. We weren't expected to become knowledgeable, just to learn enough to differentiate between the Lobby Posters and works by the Great Masters if we ever accidentally stumbled into an Art Museum by mistake.

Now there's an interesting angle to things. I loved my music and art appreciation course, ONCE I WAS IN IT, because it enabled me to approach the material thinking as an intelligence officer. It was a very relaxed state, something I thrive in. I was in my marine biology degree at the time.

As I recall, the hardest part of the course was learning to tell the difference between various Georgian chants. So as I listened to them in the library, I closed my eyes, and would identify them by what emotions they triggered, what mental imagery they produced.

A few semesters later, I decided to take more art history courses because for the stress I was under, I needed something to relax the mind. So I picked up three more, I think, making it something of an unofficial minor.

One makes of it what they know. In the commercial and graphic art class, my term paper was on government propaganda and strategic industrial camouflage.

Maybe the purpose of these extra courses is more about teaching the student about alternate ways of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 AM

12,856 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
A girl down the street, who graduated High School with our oldest son, went to college to become an Art Teacher. Per her comments, the last math class she ever had was Algebra II as a Junior in High School. No Math classes in College.

I attended a small private Engineering School for my degree. All Engineering students were required to complete humanities classes as part of our degree program. It has been 40 years since I graduated but I 'believe' the requirement was one 3 credit Humanities Course per semester.

I enjoyed these classes but too many other engineering students refused to see the value in them, particularly "Music & Art Appreciation". This class was a very easy "A" if you had any appreciation at all for the existence of classical music, and the existence of fine art. We weren't expected to become knowledgeable, just to learn enough to differentiate between the Lobby Posters and works by the Great Masters if we ever accidentally stumbled into an Art Museum by mistake.
Biggest problem I had with those courses were the professors who had a "right" interpretation of some work and any other interpretation was a fail. Ever read the poem about red wagons and white chickens? It's about a 20 word nonsense poem but apparantly one professor had written a book explaining the poem. That was painful. Almost as painful as trying to find great meaning in an abstract painting of a penis.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:09 PM

19,815 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Biggest problem I had with those courses were the professors who had a "right" interpretation of some work and any other interpretation was a fail. Ever read the poem about red wagons and white chickens? It's about a 20 word nonsense poem but apparantly one professor had written a book explaining the poem. That was painful. Almost as painful as trying to find great meaning in an abstract painting of a penis.
For whatever reason your words remind me of best the best and most infuriating professor I learned from.

It was a tweener logic/philosophy class that could be taken by undergraduates for undergraduate and graduate credit but probably 60% of the students were grad. students. As an undergrad I needed both a letter from my advisor and permission from the prof. granted or denied only after an in person interview. The class was 3 hrs. but every other week an extra hour of "class conversation" was required. Most classes were lectured by one of two TA's. The prof. while lectures were going on would mill about and ask students questions. Long story greatly condensed by the time the semester was nearing an end everyone in the class was 100% certain the prof. was a satanist a la Aleister Crowley/Anton LaVey because he would espouse the dark side of every vexing conversation. Once he walked into class and asked, "ladies and gentlemen - 'what's so wrong with adults having sexual relationships children.'" He turned around and walked out. I thought there was going to be a riot. Half the class couldn't speak the other have were ready to fight. A TA came in, told everyone the prof. had had a really bad day and to let it go and just talk it all over.

Also, the class was graded on a curve - highest grade set the curve. The highest grade on the first test was a zero. Everyone got a zero for.....I'll never forget the words, "a classwide and astonishing lack of effort."

Last day of class before the final the prof., at this point hated by everyone for being a creep, possible pedohpile, supporter of the dark, hedonism etc. and likely satanist, let it be known the was an long time ordained baptist minister and he thought that really getting under students skin by playing the bad guy was a great way to drive students towards new and different intellectual heights. IMO he was right.

Before the final he told everyone, philosophy students excepted, would either get an A if they earned it or a P (as in pass /fail) or a B their choice - he was breaking university rules by doing so.

That summer I received a fairly lengthy letter from the prof. explaining what he liked and didn't like about my logical approach during the class. And he was right on.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:00 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
If you're not comfortable with gray areas, then don't enter medicine. As I mentioned earlier, I'm studying medical science. The professors are mostly forensic pathologists (physicians). There is very little black and white in medicine, especially when you're trying to determine the cause and manner of death. Despite what you might have learned by watching television, most of the methods used to estimate time of death are unreliable. The life sciences, in general, have a lot of gray areas.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,627 times
I haven't finished my degree because I know I won't be able to pass Calculus. I barely made it through Algebra. I have a math block that has created a math phobia and they just reinforce each other. I think I might be able to do it if I had more time to get the concepts down and had the right teacher. I 'm one of those who need to see ALL the steps and professors always assume you know how they got a number. I wouldn't know how you got a number if I watched you pull it out of your pocket. Okay maybe I'm not that bad but it does make me sad because I love science and do well in those courses but unless I can find a way to get around math I will be stuck with a AS. I also can't think if someone is standing over me. I tried to take Trig and the professor stood behind me the entire exam and I drew a big blank the whole time. I just freeze up. God forbid you ask me to do a problem for the class. Pull out the pillows and blankets because its going to be a long night.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 AM

19,815 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae333 View Post
I haven't finished my degree because I know I won't be able to pass Calculus. I barely made it through Algebra. I have a math block that has created a math phobia and they just reinforce each other. I think I might be able to do it if I had more time to get the concepts down and had the right teacher. I 'm one of those who need to see ALL the steps and professors always assume you know how they got a number. I wouldn't know how you got a number if I watched you pull it out of your pocket. Okay maybe I'm not that bad but it does make me sad because I love science and do well in those courses but unless I can find a way to get around math I will be stuck with a AS. I also can't think if someone is standing over me. I tried to take Trig and the professor stood behind me the entire exam and I drew a big blank the whole time. I just freeze up. God forbid you ask me to do a problem for the class. Pull out the pillows and blankets because its going to be a long night.
1). IMO you should stop worrying and hire a tutor. Hit your first meeting with a list of areas you are especially weak in-.

2). Also, unless you are speaking of the most basic science classes, there is no way or you anyone can do well in "all those" science courses without a better grip on mathematics. There is no way to reasonably understand distributions, probabilities, micro-electric properties (insert 100 other things) beyond about a 12th grade level sans a decent foundation in math.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 328 times
Something that isn’t commonly thought of by those for colleges requiring math is their are some people who is unable to learn advanced math namely algebra even high school algebra. This doesn’t mean they aren’t smart it means they are smart in other ways and would do in a none mathematical career with a degree not requiring math. Im one of those people I have autism and adhd. I do not gave cognitive delays but I fall to understand even the most simple algebra despite trying more than once with more than one teacher or tutor. I can do addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and decimals and more just fine although I have a little trouble with fractions and decimals as I have to have the formula in front of me. I even homeschooled my son who is in college himself now on the honor roll, in a honor society and of course making high grades and I was the one who prepared him for college. Despite this I can can not do algebra. Should I not be able to earn a degree? Theirs lots of reasons why people need degrees without math and that shouldn’t be a endurance that shouldn’t be a hindrance to getting a degree.

Btw Clary Sage College in Tulsa, Ok has at least some no math degree options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities