Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:40 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,110,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What do employers think of your transcript, if there is not a single math course?
Sometimes finding a short cut is the worst way to solve a problem.
That's easy. Employers don't look at your transcripts.

If they did, and it didn't include some base level mathematics course, I'm sure they'd find another reason to confirm their biases regarding your fantastic interview. People hire people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 02:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
That's easy. Employers don't look at your transcripts.

If they did, and it didn't include some base level mathematics course, I'm sure they'd find another reason to confirm their biases regarding your fantastic interview. People hire people.

I don't know.........if I was hiring someone with an advanced degree, I would probably want to see some sort of statistics course, some ability to turn research results into numbers.

Employers might indeed look at one's transcripts......when they are going through all those responded and are deciding who to interview and who not.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:04 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't know.........if I was hiring someone with an advanced degree, I would probably want to see some sort of statistics course, some ability to turn research results into numbers.

Employers might indeed look at one's transcripts......when they are going through all those responded and are deciding who to interview and who not.
In all my years of nursing, I had one potential employer ask for a transcript. That may have been because the job required a BSN, and not every nurse has that degree. Most advanced degrees in professional fields require statistics.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,502,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't care if you think it's abnormal. My opening statement was that my son took 30hrs. of humanities in his pursuit of his STEM degree. And he did - taking 36. That's it.

Also I didn't immediately see any humanities requirements on the UF page you linked just a run down of required and optional bio. and science classes.

Your narrow view of the this topic and general proclivity for hairsplitting are your problems not mine.

The overarching point is that the OP, years ago I acknowledge, was crying about taking a single math class. My point and that of many others is that most STEM degrees require at least several hours of humanities courses. I just looked at several STEM course plans across several universities every single one requires at least 18 hours of humanities even using your narrow definition.
The humanities requirements are on the page I linked to. Even Katarina Witt saw them. They're composition, foreign language, and general education humanities.

18 credits is far fewer than 30 credits. I didn't say that STEM majors take no humanities courses; I was just pointing out that the number of humanities courses they take has been exaggerated in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I see 9 credits of "State Core Gen Ed Social and Behavioral Sciences; Gen Ed humanities, 9 credits; Composition 3 credits; Foreign Language 10 credits; upper level electives not in major 9 credits; general electives 9 credits. That is 49 credits, a little over 1/3 of the curriculum. It is also not that different from the University of Colorado's curriculum which I posted.

I'd like to see some documentation for "one of the best undergraduate biology programs in the country" as just about every school says that.
Social and behavioral sciences are not humanities. If they were humanities, they would be included in the humanities category. Why would they have a humanities category and a social and behavioral science category if they're the same thing? It's because they're not. Also, "upper level electives not in the major" and "general electives" are ELECTIVES. That means you can choose from a wide variety of courses, including STEM courses. General education electives normally have to be in the liberal arts: natural science, mathematics, humanities, or social science. Free electives can be anything LA or non-LA i.e. business, education, engineering, etc.

Let me make a correction. Their agricultural and biological engineering department is one of the best in the country according to U.S. News. I know some people don't like U.S. News, but even in the field of my PhD program (criminal justice/criminology), UF is known for its biological criminology research. They're also known for analytical chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, and veterinary medicine. They have amazing forensic science programs in the pharmaceutical, veterinary, and medical schools.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...erall-rankings
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...erall-rankings

Old 02-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Since I mostly apply to government jobs, I've had to supply transcripts dozens of times for verification purposes. Most of the time, they aren't looking for specific courses. They just want to see evidence that you completed a degree or that you completed a degree in a certain major. There have been a few cases, however, when my transcript was used to prove that I had a minimum number of credits in an area of study.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The humanities requirements are on the page I linked to. Even Katarina Witt saw them. They're composition, foreign language, and general education humanities.

18 credits is far fewer than 30 credits. I didn't say that STEM majors take no humanities courses; I was just pointing out that the number of humanities courses they take has been exaggerated in this thread.

Social and behavioral sciences are not humanities. If they were humanities, they would be included in the humanities category. Why would they have a humanities category and a social and behavioral science category if they're the same thing? It's because they're not. Also, "upper level electives not in the major" and "general electives" are ELECTIVES. That means you can choose from a wide variety of courses, including STEM courses. General education electives normally have to be in the liberal arts: natural science, mathematics, humanities, or social science. Free electives can be anything LA or non-LA i.e. business, education, engineering, etc.

Let me make a correction. Their agricultural and biological engineering department is one of the best in the country according to U.S. News. I know some people don't like U.S. News, but even in the field of my PhD program (criminal justice/criminology), UF is known for its biological criminology research. They're also known for analytical chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, and veterinary medicine. They have amazing forensic science programs in the pharmaceutical, veterinary, and medical schools.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...erall-rankings
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...erall-rankings
?? What's that supposed to mean?

Yes, 18 credits is fewer than 30, but a typical math course is 3-4 credits, which is far fewer than either 18 or 30. Even I can see that.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, 18 credits is fewer than 30, but a typical math course is 3-4 credits, which is far fewer than either 18 or 30. Even I can see that.
The humanities encompass a large number of subjects that have little to do with each other. An English composition course is nothing like a music course, and music courses aren't going to prepare you for English Comp. Math is one subject with different levels that build upon each other. Some STEM majors only need to take two or three math courses because it's just one subject. They go up to the level that they need for their field of study. If you've passed equivalent AP or CLEP exams, you can even skip up a level or two.

Asking why a degree program only requires one math course is like asking why a degree program only requires one psychology course.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 PM

19,951 posts, read 18,238,051 times
Quote:

I caught that too. Surely it wasn't meant as it read.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I caught that too. Surely it wasn't meant as it read.
Let's hope!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 AM

4,290 posts, read 5,957,256 times
A girl down the street, who graduated High School with our oldest son, went to college to become an Art Teacher. Per her comments, the last math class she ever had was Algebra II as a Junior in High School. No Math classes in College.

I attended a small private Engineering School for my degree. All Engineering students were required to complete humanities classes as part of our degree program. It has been 40 years since I graduated but I 'believe' the requirement was one 3 credit Humanities Course per semester.

I enjoyed these classes but too many other engineering students refused to see the value in them, particularly "Music & Art Appreciation". This class was a very easy "A" if you had any appreciation at all for the existence of classical music, and the existence of fine art. We weren't expected to become knowledgeable, just to learn enough to differentiate between the Lobby Posters and works by the Great Masters if we ever accidentally stumbled into an Art Museum by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities