Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,041,772 times

Advertisements

I think requiring it for non-mathematical majors is a waste of time and money. Let the person take it as an elective if they really want to; but as a requirement, not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It seems you are using a very reasonable but narrow definition of humanities and I'm, and some of the others too, are using a more broad definition. I was taught that the humanities include all art, all languages, all history, all philosophy, all religion, all politics, all literature, all law and all human geography..............with human geography pouring over into some economics, some anthropology, some sociology etc. Basically any area of study or significant portions within an area of study in which quantitative analysis does not apply well or at all.

In my book written communication is a humanity, although some technical writing probably isn't. Most everyone would consider foreign languages to fall under the humanities umbrella. The Humanists certainly did.
This is close to the definition many universities use. I checked Dartmouth and Stanford, for reference. Here's Stanford's statement:
Quote:
What are the humanities?
The humanities can be described as the study of how people process and document the human experience. Since humans have been able, we have used philosophy, literature, religion, art, music, history and language to understand and record our world. These modes of expression have become some of the subjects that traditionally fall under the humanities umbrella. Knowledge of these records of human experience gives us the opportunity to feel a sense of connection to those who have come before us, as well as to our contemporaries.
The list on their website doesn't include law, but that's not usually an undergrad program, anyway.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,502,310 times
Quote:
It seems you are using a very reasonable but narrow definition of humanities and I'm, and some of the others too, are using a more broad definition. I was taught that the humanities include all art, all languages, all history, all philosophy, all religion, all politics, all literature, all law and all human geography..............with human geography pouring over into some economics, some anthropology, some sociology etc. Basically any area of study or significant portions within an area of study in which quantitative analysis does not apply well or at all.

In my book written communication is a humanity, although some technical writing probably isn't. Most everyone would consider foreign languages to fall under the humanities umbrella. The Humanists certainly did.
I'm not using a narrow definition; I'm using the most widely-accepted definition used by colleges and universities. Sociology (including criminology), economics, political science, and psychology are social sciences. Anthropology can either be humanities, social science, or life science depending on the sub-field. Many colleges and K-12 schools consider history to be a social science, but it's more appropriately labeled humanities. Geography is a social science, but certain sub-fields are basically humanities. If it's a liberal art but not social science, math, or natural science, then it's humanities.

Yes, English Comp and communications are humanities. My definition of humanities, which is what most colleges use, encompasses many subjects. It's not the least bit narrow. The fine arts, alone, have several different disciplines, and the fine arts fall under humanities. My bet is that your son was not required to take 30 credits in humanities.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is close to the definition many universities use. I checked Dartmouth and Stanford, for reference. Here's Stanford's statement:
The list on their website doesn't include law, but that's not usually an undergrad program, anyway.
Actually, their definition is basically the one I stated earlier. EDS wants to include sociology, economics, and all of geography.

The humanities are the study of human culture. The social sciences are the study of human behavior. The social sciences often involve quantitative research. The humanities usually do not involve statistics and experiments.

Also, studying the philosophy of politics is different from studying political science. The course codes will usually give you a hint at whether you're in a philosophy course or a political science course.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:22 AM

19,951 posts, read 18,238,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Actually, their definition is basically the one I stated earlier. EDS wants to include sociology, economics, and all of geography.

The humanities are the study of human culture. The social sciences are the study of human behavior. The social sciences often involve quantitative research. The humanities usually do not involve statistics and experiments.

Also, studying the philosophy of politics is different from studying political science. The course codes will usually give you a hint at whether you're in a philosophy course or a political science course.
Please, if you are going that direction get my words right. I said some sociology, some economics etc. fall under human geography.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not using a narrow definition; I'm using the most widely-accepted definition used by colleges and universities. Sociology (including criminology), economics, political science, and psychology are social sciences. Anthropology can either be humanities, social science, or life science depending on the sub-field. Many colleges and K-12 schools consider history to be a social science, but it's more appropriately labeled humanities. Geography is a social science, but certain sub-fields are basically humanities. If it's a liberal art but not social science, math, or natural science, then it's humanities.

Yes, English Comp and communications are humanities. My definition of humanities, which is what most colleges use, encompasses many subjects. It's not the least bit narrow. The fine arts, alone, have several different disciplines, and the fine arts fall under humanities. My bet is that your son was not required to take 30 credits in humanities.
Oh good grief. Relax with all the genuflecting.

And here you go, my son's course requirements in the humanities.

12 hrs. English
12 hrs. Foreign language
6 hours Religion
6 hours history or a social science he took history..............so that's 36 hours.

https://www.baylor.edu/artsandscienc...php/245423.pdf

Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Oh good grief. Relax with all the genuflecting.

And here you go, my son's course requirements in the humanities.

12 hrs. English
12 hrs. Foreign language
6 hours Religion
6 hours history or a social science he took history..............so that's 36 hours.

https://www.baylor.edu/artsandscienc...php/245423.pdf
The social science courses don't count because he wasn't
required to take history. But, like I said, if he did take 30 hours, it's not the norm. Baylor is a religious school. Secular schools do not require courses in religion. Also, 12 hours of English is abnormal.

This is the biology program at University of Florida. They have one of the best undergraduate biology programs in the country.

https://catalog.ufl.edu/UGRD/college...mesterplantext

Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I think requiring it for non-mathematical majors is a waste of time and money. Let the person take it as an elective if they really want to; but as a requirement, not necessary.
Math is more about the thought process involved. Organized, methodical thinking is needed in most vocations.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
required to take history. But, like I said, if he did take 30 hours, it's not the norm. Baylor is a religious school. Secular schools do not require courses in religion. Also, 12 hours of English is abnormal.

This is the biology program at University of Florida. They have one of the best undergraduate biology programs in the country.

I don't care if you think it's abnormal. My opening statement was that my son took 30hrs. of humanities in his pursuit of his STEM degree. And he did - taking 36. That's it.

Also I didn't immediately see any humanities requirements on the UF page you linked just a run down of required and optional bio. and science classes.

Your narrow view of the this topic and general proclivity for hairsplitting are your problems not mine.

The overarching point is that the OP, years ago I acknowledge, was crying about taking a single math class. My point and that of many others is that most STEM degrees require at least several hours of humanities courses. I just looked at several STEM course plans across several universities every single one requires at least 18 hours of humanities even using your narrow definition.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:33 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:

OK, I see 9 credits of "State Core Gen Ed Social and Behavioral Sciences; Gen Ed humanities, 9 credits; Composition 3 credits; Foreign Language 10 credits; upper level electives not in major 9 credits; general electives 9 credits. That is 49 credits, a little over 1/3 of the curriculum. It is also not that different from the University of Colorado's curriculum which I posted.

I'd like to see some documentation for "one of the best undergraduate biology programs in the country" as just about every school says that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities