Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

Wow, there are a lot of "haters" out there. I went to Yale, never took a college math class, and have enjoyed an extremely successful career. At no point has algebra or calculus played a part in my success. My son, however, is algebra challenged. He has many strong life skills and attributes, and to say he should not attend college because of algebra is absurd. The same applies to the many minorities who give up on high school or junior college because of algebra requirements. Yes you should be able to add, subtract, multiply ,divide, know decimals and percentages, but beyond that math is not critical in life. A liberal arts education in general is pretty useless in the business world, so why make one subject such a core requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Do you mean more then HS math? We're talking Colleges in this thread and there are many, many jobs (including my own) where the only math required is simple stuff I learned even before HS.

Back to the OP - Many colleges may allow you to pass out of basic math if you took a higher level math in HS.
This. I took PreCalc II or III in HS, so I passed out. Which is great because I absolutely never use math besides maybe basic algebra.

What annoys me is that to become a game programmer requires such an absurd level of math. Look, the basic algebra? Used it for Rpg Maker and C++. For everyday jobs, representing 2/3 of the minimum wage gigs out there, it'd probably require even simpler math. Building your own engine, yea maybe. But no, the most difficult math you will even use aside from actual engineering?

Measuring the height of a tree based on its distance from you. That's sine, cosine, tangent stuff.

If someone else makes the game engine, I could program my own games. No math, aside from basic number insertion.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 08-28-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
I don't understand how anyone that graduated High School, and got a high enough SAT score to get into College....cant pass a college math course. Algebra was the easiest of my "hard" courses.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

210 posts, read 156,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are colleges that permit a Science Substitution for those with a diagnoses of Dyscauclia. Many people, including the Spell Check on my computer, have never heard of Dyscaculia.
Essentially it's dyslexia but with numbers.
That's because it's actually "Dyscalculia" (like calculus), not dyscauclia/dyscaculia.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I dropped out of community college nearly 20 years ago because I couldn't pass a college math course multiple times even with tutoring. I have made under $10 an hour ever since.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What do employers think of your transcript, if there is not a single math course?
Sometimes finding a short cut is the worst way to solve a problem.

They think well of my transcripts. All three of them.

Add University of Rochester. A prestigious private school.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressleb View Post
Wow, there are a lot of "haters" out there. I went to Yale, never took a college math class, and have enjoyed an extremely successful career. At no point has algebra or calculus played a part in my success. My son, however, is algebra challenged. He has many strong life skills and attributes, and to say he should not attend college because of algebra is absurd. The same applies to the many minorities who give up on high school or junior college because of algebra requirements. Yes you should be able to add, subtract, multiply ,divide, know decimals and percentages, but beyond that math is not critical in life. A liberal arts education in general is pretty useless in the business world, so why make one subject such a core requirement?
The university I graduated from required a math course and I made a C. It was the only grade lower than an A on my transcript and I was glad to get that C. There is one person in this forum who derides those who have a problem with math. There may be others, but I've encountered the one I'm referring to. I know how to do all the math functions you listed and not being good with the rest has never impeded my life in any way. I think it's hilarious that some actually think they are superior individuals due to math being easy. They are clueless as to what might exemplify superiority. In my opinion, they are pathetic. No, I do not think I am superior. I know I'm not and I also know they aren't.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,897 times
So glad someone linked this to me. Thank you so much! (You know who you are). I figure I may as well add my take on this.

In my experience, I don't think the United States teaches higher level math well. By "Higher level" I mean anything beyond middle school arithmetic. You see, I learn pretty fast. Been in the Talented and Gifted Programs since I could remember. Even got sent to a magnet school since my old school didn't have the program. I only feel I am slightly above average and that is because folks have been telling me I am some kind of genius my whole life.

Anyways, I noticed when I got to HS my math classes went from understanding and learning, to memorizing and "plugging in". I have a crap memory. I am sorry, I just do. When I understand something, it is with me for life and I can teach it as well as apply it in life. When I memorize something, It is gone in minutes. So here I am now. I did have one teacher that taught the mechanics of why these formulas worked. I still remember what I learned. Sadly, that was Pre-Algebra stuff and I don't get credit for that.

I also noticed that man y of these classes are VERY fast paced and spend little time on actually going over stuff. You basically need to know the stuff PRIOR to taking the class. I am assuming all these Math whizzes fall into that category.

Now let me ask. "Is the goal to teach Algebra or to just screen out those who don't know it yet?" I ask because the way I have seen it go, is Algebra (and Calculus) is there just to screen or weed out. No wonder damn near half of U.S. students fail Algebra and our adults loathe math so much.

As for me. I actually like math. I just realized that I will not learn Algebra or higher within the U.S. My mind just doesn't work that way. I need to understand something, see examples, break it apart into its individual parts and see what happens when I try to do it a different way without following "rules". It's basically the difference between telling someone to remember "Don't speed when it's raining out" <<-AKA a formula Vs "When you speed when it's raining out your tires can lose traction and you will slide and crash and maybe die even" <<---AKA Understanding why the formula works.

I suck at Algebra. I am looking for a college that doesn't require it. At my current Uni I regularly end up on the Dean's list so college work isn't exactly hard. Even did well in a Biotech class that required I know Biology 1&2 Chemistry, Micro-Biology and genetics. Did I mention I hadn't taken those courses and taught myself in order to keep up? So yeah, I am not dumb. The way we teach Algebra and above just doesn't work. You shouldn't just need to be an "English person" to understand how to write an essay. So why do we need to be a "Math person" to know how to figure out Functions and Parabolas?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I took a college level math class at the community college in the summer and then transferred the credit to my four year school in the Fall hoping it would be easier. It was. The CC was also closer to my job and I could take it at night. It was the only class I took in the summer and had to go three or four times a week for it due to the short semester. Maybe you could look into that. But, one of my favorite college classes was statistics and when I was applying for job promotions as an analyst, that, and my psych research methodology and research methodolgy lab classes, I always mentioned on job applications in addition to the BA. My job had nothing to do with science or social science but those classes were very useful for research and analysis type work in any field because they taught you some good skills including organizing, planning and report writing for studies and tests.

I also have to tell you, I used algebra a lot in my career to solve problems because I knew how to use formulas and it was really helpful. I even used it to develop a new inventory report when I was still a lowly worker. No one was more surprised than me. Now Geometry , that's another story. No love for that one. Never used it after high school.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,787 times
Hi Sheena12 I read your posts about the colleges which do not require maths for graduation. I am very interested in the subject since I have a daughter who struggles with her dyscalculia. Although she is only in 5th grade now, I want to know what are her real possibilities for college life in the US. It is early, I know, but I do not want to wait until she is in High School to start wondering what to do... And plus, I promised her that once she finished school she would get rid of maths!
I do not think she will be able to pass an SAT or to complete college level maths courses. She has many other capabilities and gifts. One of her interests would be Special Education for little kids. And she would be excellent at that.
Do you, or anybody else, know where could she study for something like that without having to complete maths requirements?
Would she be entitled to waivers because of her disability?
Thanks for any feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities