Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,783,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Have you seen what passes for writing in Freshman comp courses? Many 5th graders could do the same.

Comp. should be easier for Freshman in college. We all speak and read. There is nothing new about that.
Few people do equations in their spare time. The "novelty" of math combined with the fact that like it of not math, and particularly Algebra, are disliked by so many people.

English , in our country, speaking writing and reading are the currency of learning.
Math is not.

They are different fundamentally as to their place in education. One is needed, the other is optional/
I graduated from college only taking "Statistics for Sociology" .

I went on to become the CEO of my own business and a six figure earner.
Many liberal arts and social science majors also do well in life.

My father in law was a history major and was, until his retirement a six figure earner.

In many old American families, History, English lit, Art History and Foreign languages are stressed because they are helpful socially and in business. Business is frequently learned on the job from father to son or daughter. Perhaps an economics course or two, but that's it.

Both my wife and I took Econ in college. No math involved. Theory and papers. Lots of them.
Time has changed.
Now US economy is built on IT. In fact IT is the only thing that gives the US a big edge over other countries. Many other industries either died or moved.

Six figure salary is not that impressive either. It is the starting salary for master's students in Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon... I truly hope young people understand the importance of math and science. At least please do not be discouraged by other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,590,345 times
Quote:
Have you seen what passes for writing in Freshman comp courses? Many 5th graders could do the same.

Comp. should be easier for Freshman in college. We all speak and read. There is nothing new about that.
Few people do equations in their spare time. The "novelty" of math combined with the fact that like it of not math, and particularly Algebra, are disliked by so many people.

English , in our country, speaking writing and reading are the currency of learning.
Math is not.

They are different fundamentally as to their place in education. One is needed, the other is optional/

My father in law was a history major and was, until his retirement a six figure earner.

In many old American families, History, English lit, Art History and Foreign languages are stressed because they are helpful socially and in business. Business is frequently learned on the job from father to son or daughter. Perhaps an economics course or two, but that's it.

Both my wife and I took Econ in college. No math involved. Theory and papers. Lots of them.
I give up. If the OP's husband is going to talk about why, or why not, math should be included in a college curriculum, then I'm not going to further penalize other posters for talking about it instead of focusing on what the OP has said she wanted to do. Obviously, he would know better then I, what is on topic or not.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,756 times
Assuming most colleges are like the college I attend, regardless of major one has to take 2 semsters of lab science and at least college algebra- or now they call it"mathmatics for the liberal arts".

Now there are the "real" science courses the gen chem, foundations of bio that the science majors have to take, but there are also"easier" science courses, World of chem, gen bio, Earth etc... that won't count for the bio major, the chem major, the pre med student... but WILL fulfill the 2 semster of lab science requriment Surely the OPs college must have science courses like that.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,951,373 times
Harvard will allow this course as Quantitative Reasoning course:SPU 26: Primitive Navigation § Science of the Physical Universe 26 (Fall 2012-2013)

I guess you can add Harvard to your list but good luck getting in with a subpar math SAT.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM

You can also add Williams College to your list.

Their website says that student must complete three of the following courses to satisfy their Division III distribution requirements:

"DIVISION III. Science and Mathematics
Astronomy
Astrophysics
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biology
Chemistry
Computer Science
Environmental Studies 102
Geosciences
History of Science 224
INTR 160, 223, 225, 315
Maritime Studies 104, 211, 311
Mathematics
Neuroscience
Physics
Psychology 212, 315, 316, 317T, 318
Statistics"

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Harvard will allow this course as Quantitative Reasoning course:SPU 26: Primitive Navigation § Science of the Physical Universe 26 (Fall 2012-2013)

I guess you can add Harvard to your list but good luck getting in with a subpar math SAT.
This course requires an understanding of trig and I'd bet makes heavy use of it, too. Even though trig is algebra, anyone who struggles with algebra will no doubt lose their mind over trig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can also add Williams College to your list.

Their website says that student must complete three of the following courses to satisfy their Division III distribution requirements:

"DIVISION III. Science and Mathematics
Astronomy
Astrophysics
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Biology
Chemistry
Computer Science
Environmental Studies 102
Geosciences
History of Science 224
INTR 160, 223, 225, 315
Maritime Studies 104, 211, 311
Mathematics
Neuroscience
Physics
Psychology 212, 315, 316, 317T, 318
Statistics"
Astronomy may or may not have math depending on its level (lower division or upper division), whether it is 3 credits or 4 credits, and whether it has a lab component. If it is a four credit course, and/or upper division it most certainly will have math. Same with the lab.

Astrophysics. Math, definitely.

Biochem...depends on the school. Same with molecular biology.

Biology. Basic, 100-200 level biology courses, perhaps. Ecology, electives, and upper division courses may have math depending on the course and school. Actually, anyone who does ecology without math/stats is at a really lame school.

Chemistry. Hmmmm.....depends on the course. Gen chem, math. Organic chem, depends on the school. Inorganic chem, math (calculus, but how much so depends on school). P-chem, math, definitely. Perhaps the school offers something like "the Chemistry of Cooking"?

Not sure about computer science but all of the computer science majors I knew used calculus.

Maritime studies...like the Harvard course, might require a little bit of trig.

Math...

Physics...math, definitely.

Stats...there are tons of discussions on other boards over whether statistics is math or not. Still, those who struggle with math tend to find statistics to be an easier subject.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Time has changed.
Now US economy is built on IT. In fact IT is the only thing that gives the US a big edge over other countries. Many other industries either died or moved.

Six figure salary is not that impressive either. It is the starting salary for master's students in Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon... I truly hope young people understand the importance of math and science. At least please do not be discouraged by other people.
Wow, perhaps 6 figures in China is not that impressive, but in most of the U.S. it most certainly is (with the exceptions being certain parts of NYC, LA, SF).

Not sure about Google, Facebook, or Amazon, but Apple and Microsoft can "IT" personnel all the time. Perhaps with a Masters degree, but I bet that Google, Facebook, and Amazon hire mostly those with just a B.S.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:

It has not been that long since my kids were in college, so yes, I have seen what freshman writing courses require. It's well above the 5th grade level. However, since that's what you want for math, why not have the same for writing for non-majors? By 6th grade, kids get introduced to pre-algebra concepts.

By that reasoning, math should be easier for freshmen in college. We all earn and spend money. Few people write in their spare time, except on message boards. Many people dislike language arts courses, especially writing, as writing can be extremely subjective.

Math is not.

Disagree.

I do not think knowledge of math is "optional".

No one has disputed the above. My father-in-law was a house painter. He earned a decent living too, though not six figures. He could figure out how much paint you needed for a project pretty easily.

Actually, in many old American families, people farmed for a living.

So is that the gold standard? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to get you to see a different POV.
Mine in blue.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times
What may be more interesting to research is what colleges and universities don't require some level of math in HS for admittance or accept students with a below average SAT math score. Whether or not a college requires math to graduate doesn't matter if you can't even get in to begin with.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 02-15-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This course requires an understanding of trig and I'd bet makes heavy use of it, too. Even though trig is algebra, anyone who struggles with algebra will no doubt lose their mind over trig.

Astronomy may or may not have math depending on its level (lower division or upper division), whether it is 3 credits or 4 credits, and whether it has a lab component. If it is a four credit course, and/or upper division it most certainly will have math. Same with the lab.

Astrophysics. Math, definitely.

Biochem...depends on the school. Same with molecular biology.

Biology. Basic, 100-200 level biology courses, perhaps. Ecology, electives, and upper division courses may have math depending on the course and school. Actually, anyone who does ecology without math/stats is at a really lame school.

Chemistry. Hmmmm.....depends on the course. Gen chem, math. Organic chem, depends on the school. Inorganic chem, math (calculus, but how much so depends on school). P-chem, math, definitely. Perhaps the school offers something like "the Chemistry of Cooking"?

Not sure about computer science but all of the computer science majors I knew used calculus.

Maritime studies...like the Harvard course, might require a little bit of trig.

Math...

Physics...math, definitely.

Stats...there are tons of discussions on other boards over whether statistics is math or not. Still, those who struggle with math tend to find statistics to be an easier subject.
The OP wants list of colleges that do not require a MATH course to graduate. She says science is ok. I disagree with her premise and I agree with yours. But she wants a list and I am more than happy to help compile one. Of course, there is no chance that a person with a low SAT score will get into Harvard or Williams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities