Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,602,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I am probably one of the people you referred to in your OP, sheena, because I wrote on here about not finishing college because I am unable to grasp basic algebra. Failed the remedial classes and simply did not have the money to take them again, especially since I had my doubts that yet another math class would somehow magically make me able to understand it.

I CAN do ARITHMETIC. I can add numbers in my head, do percentages, fractions, whatever. That is not the math that's the problem. It is algebra and above that simply makes no sense to me. OR, if I sit in a class or go for extra help to have someone painstakingly explain it, I think for a moment that I got it, but within an hour, it's gone. It's just gone.

I have always been an avid reader. I have had writing published and have been paid for it (but can't quit the day job to write full-time, lol.) I was a trivia whiz before the Trivial Pursuit came out and then kicked myself for not putting what we did for fun into a game form.

My daughter also struggled with math, but she had a great teacher in high school and was not only able to get through it, but she got mostly As in her math classes. She had great difficulty with math in college, but managed to get through the minimum she needed and move past it. She speaks and writes both Mandarin and Spanish nearly fluently, and has some grasp of Russian and Dari, as well. She will graduate shortly with a dual degree in Mandarin and Linguistics.

For some of us, that math ability is simply not wired into our brains. I have a decent job that pays just over six figures. I worked my way into management after starting as a secretary, an option (and a profession) that barely exists anywhere anymore. But as you point out, people need that Bachelor's nowadays just to get their foot in the door.

Yes MQ you were correct! You were the inspiration for my post and crusade, as well as my subsequent research into the subject of Dyscakculia.

I was able to pass a college math course, which I took in about 1978. I took the class voluntarily because at the time I was Pre-Law, and my adviser recommended that I take the class because "it would look good on my transcript." What a wonderful reason for taking a class. I think my final grade, had I not taken the class "Pass/No Record", would have been around a C or C+. I am glad that I took it though, because later when I completed my BA in Social Science, with a minor in Women's Studies at Stony Brook University, I would have been forced to take a math course, at this extremely Math - Science heavy university and God knows what would have happened!

Now I am 12 credits shy of my MA ( had to abandon that when we moved to PA) and when I move yet again, I am committed to completing this MA, and perhaps even taking it further.

And I am still terrible at Math,

I remember absolutely nothing about this class. What a complete waste of time, energy and money!

I am not sure that I actually have dyscaculia, but I can say that my weakness in math has defined many things for me

Please check out the website dysacalcuiia.org. The descriptions provided fit me to a T!

Last edited by sheena12; 02-09-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Well, her first college had a basic requirement that allowed her to choose from various courses from math & computer science, and like I said, she took what is basically a "Liberal Arts Math". My issue was with Momma Bear saying that someone who didn't pass college algebra didn't deserve a BA, because lib arts math is not the same as college algebra. If it was, I would have no problem taking either, but for me, college algebra is pretty much impossible to grasp, Lib Arts math is manageable (somewhat) enough to pass with a C at least.
How do you know this "liberal arts math" course was not equivalent to college algebra? Your friend's second college apparently thought so, since they accepted the course.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:02 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,756,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know this "liberal arts math" course was not equivalent to college algebra? Your friend's second college apparently thought so, since they accepted the course.
Most times the second school accepts whatever you've taken previously as satisfactory for the core, if you earned a degree.

By equivalent I meant containing the same aspects in the course as college algebra, the same sort of mathematical topics, requiring the same sort of math understanding... and that is what I mean when I say that Liberal Arts Math is not the same as college algebra. I am not saying that one is higher or lower, they are just different. I have discussed with my friend what she learned in Lib. Arts Math and it was not the same as what is taught in a college algebra class. I have also taken college level Lib. Arts Math and it is different.

I didn't mean to say that it couldn't be considered satisfactory for a math requirement for some schools, some places will allow one or the other, but they are still a different kind of math when it comes to understanding, especially for people with difficulties in math. The Liberal Arts Math I took briefly touched on some algebra stuff but it was a minor part of the course. The course, overall, was much easier for me than anything else I'd taken (pre-algebra, algebra, etc) that was focused on algebra primarily, vs a focus on other math topics.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Most times the second school accepts whatever you've taken previously as satisfactory for the core, if you earned a degree.

By equivalent I meant containing the same aspects in the course as college algebra, the same sort of mathematical topics, requiring the same sort of math understanding... and that is what I mean when I say that Liberal Arts Math is not the same as college algebra. I am not saying that one is higher or lower, they are just different. I have discussed with my friend what she learned in Lib. Arts Math and it was not the same as what is taught in a college algebra class. I have also taken college level Lib. Arts Math and it is different.

I didn't mean to say that it couldn't be considered satisfactory for a math requirement for some schools, some places will allow one or the other, but they are still a different kind of math when it comes to understanding, especially for people with difficulties in math. The Liberal Arts Math I took briefly touched on some algebra stuff but it was a minor part of the course. The course, overall, was much easier for me than anything else I'd taken (pre-algebra, algebra, etc) that was focused on algebra primarily, vs a focus on other math topics.
True. When I transferred to the college from which I ultimately graduated, they accepted the math course that I had, although it was not the same course as they required, which was College Algebra. In my case, I must have been very fortunate because I did not come in with a degree, but with 104 college credits.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,245,556 times
Quote:
I have never gotten a sense on any of these college threads, that anyone thinks someone doesn't deserve to get a BA if they met all their college's requirements. As I said, my college did not require math for nursing students, although I did take college algebra, and yes, got credit for it. I have never taken a physics course, either. There are a lot of things many of us have never studied.
Actually, this particular odious belief was stated by no less than three posters, perhaps more.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
In most colleges, "liberal arts math" which goes by a variety of names - Math for Non Science Majors, for example. Unfortunately,not all colleges accomodate liberal arts majors the way that STEM students are coddled and fussed over, these days.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
This is stupid, saying that kids with dyslexia and dyscalculia (which HS teachers brought up in discussions about my math ability but I've never been officially 'diagnosed') can't write papers or do math and shouldn't try. Just because those students have more obstacles to overcome that doesn't mean we give up on giving them a decent education. I promise you those students don't swim through high school by avoiding those major subjects, but they're given extra assistance. Every decent college has a Disabilities Office of some sort to accommodate students who need things like extra tutoring or extended testing time. In fact plenty of those students in the status quo get through normal high school AND college curriculums without just bypassing those subjects.
It is not only ignorant, denying a degree to a student on the basis of a documented disability, is illegal.
My wife formerly worked in the office for disabled students and part of her job included reading tests allowed to students with information processing disorders.That is to say they could not prosess lnfomation that is read by themselves, only information that was read to them allowed. That does not mean that they were "stupid", they had a documented dissbility that prevented them from gleaning knowledge from the written word if read by themselves. If they are accommodated, legally, why shouldn't Dtscalcalulliacs?

They should, and they are.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM

I am not sure how this thread fell so far away from the topic. The topic is " "Colleges and Universities that do not require math."

Here are several more:
Grinell College
Texas Wesleyan University
University of Oregon (BA option)
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
no math required what so ever in the School of Literature, Science and the Arts unless it is required for your major
Naropa University
Thomas Edison State University
(automatically with documentation)
Northern Michigan University (may substitute 2 sciences of the students choice for math)

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM

513 posts, read 697,423 times
Is it really unreasonable to expect a college graduate to be able to pass an algebra course? I can think of plenty of courses that colleges offer that offer less in terms of job skills.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Is it really unreasonable to expect a college graduate to be able to pass an algebra course? I can think of plenty of courses that colleges offer that offer less in terms of job skills.
The topic of this thread is "Colleges and Universities that do not require mathematics in order to graduate"

Do you have any colleges and universities to add to the list that that the OP is attempting to compile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities