Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times

Advertisements

I think that Greek organizations can be good for certain students. I did not join a sorority when I was in college but my son has joined a fraternity. It has been good for him. When I was in college fraternities were exactly like Animal House.

I went to a school with a wild Greek culture. My son is at a school with a much tamer Greek culture. I think it has eased his transition to college. He was used to being a part of a relatively small community. His graduating class was around 250. He went to a small university but it is still much larger than his high school. Being part of the fraternity allowed him to be part of a smaller community. He is a friendly person but fairly shy in large groups. Smaller groups are more comfortable for him.

So far, it has been good for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I was in a social sorority (of the Tri-Delta ilk) in college and it was a total waste of time.

If I had a kid about to go to college and they wanted to rush, they'd be on their own $$-wise. I wouldn't pay for it.
I didn't pay for my son's dues but the dues were not that expensive. I am going to pay for him to live in the house instead of university housing because then he can be off the university meal plan with is very expensive. My son says the house's meal plan is less expensive and they serve healthier food.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
I went to Purdue. The frats are pretty much 'Animal House'. Only bigger, and there is a lot more beer. I was at a party once that claimed to have had over 4500 people attend. It was actually higher than that. They closed State St. That was in fall 2008, true story. Delta Chi.
Serious question: if you don't drink and, especially if you hate beer, why would someone join a fraternity? Would they accommodate that, or put you down for it? (Not a religious issue, btw)

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Serious question: if you don't drink and, especially if you hate beer, why would someone join a fraternity? Would they accommodate that, or put you down for it? (Not a religious issue, btw)
I would think that if you don't drink you would pledge somewhere that did not encourage drinking as a core part of the appeal of the organization. That is something you need to figure out before you decide to join. My son joined a "dry" fraternity. There is no drinking at fraternity social events and no alcohol permitted in the house. That is not to say that the brothers don't drink but alcohol is not the focus of the chapter.

The things my son says he likes:

A sense of community, including community service.
Academic support.
Networking opportunities.
Friendship.

I know he drinks sometimes but drinking is not the focus of his life. He likes being part of a like minded organization. Their friendships are build on something other than drinking.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,914,294 times
Remember, there are different types of fraternities.

What everyone is describing are SOCIAL fraternities (and sororities).
There are also service and professional fraternities.

Sure, there's got to be another reason for social fraternities besides networking, but I don't see it.

I was in a professional fraternity. #1 - professional and service fraternities are co-ed. I've got a network within my career field from it. I also got my first job because of it. #2 - non-social fraternities have MUCH lower dues than social ones.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Here's an interesting article about fraternities. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/magazine/09FRATS.html I can't believe that it was written 8 years ago!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
My daughter is in a fraternity. Her group is a sister sorority to the fraternity, but they stll consider themselve part of the fraternity. The purpose of the group is service only. They do nto have parties and they do nto live at a house. They just do fund raisers and help put on and clean up after music related events.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,285,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I didn't pay for my son's dues but the dues were not that expensive. I am going to pay for him to live in the house instead of university housing because then he can be off the university meal plan with is very expensive. My son says the house's meal plan is less expensive and they serve healthier food.
The part in red made me smile because that is just the kind of thing my son would say if he were trying to convince me to let him join a fraternity instead of living in a dorm. When he was in grade school he told me he thought I should drive him to school instead of having him ride the bus because the big kids say cuss words on the bus.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The part in red made me smile because that is just the kind of thing my son would say if he were trying to convince me to let him join a fraternity instead of living in a dorm. When he was in grade school he told me he thought I should drive him to school instead of having him ride the bus because the big kids say cuss words on the bus.
It's much less money so I am ok with it even if his reasoning is lame. He didn't ask my permission to join the fraternity (he is 19). He needs me to pay for housing/food so he did have to ask about that. It may work out really well if he gets the internship he applied for because he can live in the house and not try to find a 3 month lease somewhere.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,801,278 times
I work at a university in the Deep South. Recently, sociologist James W. Loewen visited and delivered a lecture on the Lost Cause in American consciousness. So his presentation had a lot to do with the Civil War and Americans' mis-remembering of it, its causes, and its legacy. During the Q&A, a student from the Pacific Northwest noted how Greek culture on campus inculcates (or at the very least perpetuates) racism and sexism. Loewen responded quite forcefully in calling Greek organizations "a social problem." He acknowledged that many do indeed perform community service, but only to maintain their charters. He noted a minority of Greek organizations that do not practice racial discrimination and are actually good models upon which to build a more viable Greek system--but he also claimed he wasn't holding his breath.

Particularly the frats at my state university are hopelessly racist. Their houses are mock plantation style estates and I hear they have an "Old South" party that's Greek-wide--but they do it off campus so as to not draw attention to themselves. Driving down Frat Row, you see a cornucopia of Confederate battle flags and signs supporting hard-right reactionary Republican politicians--many of whom have made public statements about their nostalgia for the Confederacy.

As a history instructor, I take serious issue with Greek organizations' perpetuation of historical myths and legends. I also object to the outright racism and sexism that goes on in the frats and sororities. Drinking and drug abuse are problems in and of themselves, but I think many of those involved in that kind of behavior will eventually grow out of it (while some might be on a road to serious addiction). I believe the false history, the racism, and the sexism, however, are here to stay and in that regard, I agree with Loewen's assessment: Greek organizations are indeed a social problem.

Please note that I only addressed a few concerns. I did not mention, until now, how Greek organizations offer "academic support" in the form of outright cheating and academic dishonesty. Not all of them do it, but most of them do and I have the honor code violation forms here to prove it. Nine students out of 10 convicted of academic dishonesty on this campus are involved in Greek organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities