Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times

Advertisements

No, it's not because you can't drive. It's because your school did not teach you the basic reason for an education. Even if you have no great interest in anything, you should be able to recognise the need for earning a living. Notice that I said "earning a living", not going to college. I really think you need to look for a college that you can afford, and will allow on campus study.

If your family is in a position to finance your life for as long as you need it, there should be no problem. But, if at some time, you have to support your self, then you need to start looking for ways to do that. It does not always mean a college degree in ANYTHING. For someone that has no great interest in anything, a basic liberal arts degree with a major in just about anything will do. However, don't expect anything special in the way of salary, just because you got a degree.

If you are only taking two courses, you should have plenty of time to hold down a full time job.

What do your parents expect you to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM

338 posts, read 741,631 times
Are you saying I'm doomed to fail because my high school didn't provide me with the information about college that I needed?

Maybe it's because I've never really put much thought into what I wanted to get a degree/major in.

What makes you say my high school didn't properly prepare me?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
Nope. I'm saying that you need to figure out things for yourself. We can spoonfeed you information about colleges, but I don't think you would listen. I am sure that your high school tried to steer it's students in the right direction, but you wouldn' be the first one that simply didn't listen.

No, you aren't doomed to fail, unless you just plan to sit back and let others do the work for you.

Can you get to the community college by public bus, riding a bike? Classes are much more important than on-line teaching. You learn about people at the same time as you do the subject matter.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,027,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Are you saying I'm doomed to fail because my high school didn't provide me with the information about college that I needed?

Maybe it's because I've never really put much thought into what I wanted to get a degree/major in.

Make an appointment with a guidance counselor at your CC yo help you plan coursework for transferring.

That would be a good thing to do.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM

I don't think I could get there by bus or a bike.

However, I DO hope to learn to drive this year.

I think you're saying that it's up to ME to learn more about going to college/getting a job.

Also, I DID go to high school, and I graduated with A's and B's.

Last edited by Longhornsfan87; 02-25-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM

5,053 posts, read 6,352,947 times
Quote:

You aren't doomed to fail. You are doomed to intense personal distress as you learn these life lessons the hardest possible way.

Blaming everything on not driving is not a solution. Many, many students don't have a vehicle in college. Either find a residential-type campus, or use public transportation.

Asking if you can go on-line to one of the most selective universities in the country (Rice) is naive, at best. Go to the Internet and do some research on 'how to apply to college.' The questions you are asking are the ones that any credible school system would have started answering at about the 8th grade.

Take this in the spirit in which it's intended: based *solely* on this thread, I believe you need some life experience, badly. You won't get it at home taking on-line classes. On-line classes are, IMO, best for those whom life has slapped around a little and know how to maintain focus without supervision, and who already have a basic grounding in a wide variety of subjects (thus don't need constant study groups to keep going).

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM

You know, it's possible my school went over what I'm talking about, and I just don't remember.

I DO remember having a class in ninth grade where we talked about college, and even had sheets of paper that talked about having a good plan for college.

What I meant by "It's because I can't drive" was that I can't go to CC in person because I can't drive because of a disability. Also, the public transportation where I live isn't exactly good.

Also, are you saying I didn't go to a good high school? And by questions I'm asking, do you also mean the ones in my other threads?

Last edited by Longhornsfan87; 02-25-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
No, I meant, I took economics in high school, and I found it interesting.

For now, I'm only taking two classes at a time.

What's wrong with my question?
Quote:
What makes you say that?

It's because I can't drive.

I'm starting to think I'm woefully unprepared for college, if I don't even know what to look for in one, financial aid, etc.
Quote:
I don't think I could get there by bus or a bike.

However, I DO hope to learn to drive this year.

I think you're saying that it's up to ME to learn more about going to college/getting a job.

Also, I DID go to high school, and I graduated with A's and B's.

No offense, but you are seriously lacking in initiative. You also come off as somewhat helpless, expecting others to tell you what to do or to spoon-feed you.

You need to figure these things out for yourself. People here can't tell you where to go to college, what to major in, etc. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You aren't doomed to fail. You are doomed to intense personal distress as you learn these life lessons the hardest possible way.

Blaming everything on not driving is not a solution. Many, many students don't have a vehicle in college. Either find a residential-type campus, or use public transportation.

Asking if you can go on-line to one of the most selective universities in the country (Rice) is naive, at best. Go to the Internet and do some research on 'how to apply to college.' The questions you are asking are the ones that any credible school system would have started answering at about the 8th grade.

Take this in the spirit in which it's intended: based *solely* on this thread, I believe you need some life experience, badly. You won't get it at home taking on-line classes. On-line classes are, IMO, best for those whom life has slapped around a little and know how to maintain focus without supervision, and who already have a basic grounding in a wide variety of subjects (thus don't need constant study groups to keep going).
Well, keep in mind I have a brain injury, and am somewhat limited in where I can go to college.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Then only YOU know the type of school you can attend... we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities