Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM

338 posts, read 741,631 times

Advertisements

What else do I need to know about the real world? And how do I learn more about what you just said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,770,117 times
Get out of your house and start living in the world for one thing. Quit asking strangers online all these questions about school and talk the counselors at your CC. You need to find some kind of life skills class, and don't ask us where to find one ask the professionals at your CC.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM

What do you think I would learn in a life skills class that I need to learn? In other words, what do you think I need to learn about life?

Like I said, a counselor could answer all of these questions, is what you're saying.

About students paying rent to their landlords: If they have a roommate, they split the rent between them, right? Like, each of them pays their half of it?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
What are the most important things to look for when selecting a university?
If you don't know what you are interested in yet, you are not alone! Choose a liberal arts College or a university with a liberal arts school. Enter as an "undeclared" major. Take things that interest you. Something will grab you, I am sure. Don't fret. Learn and enjoy!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,352,947 times
Quote:
What do you think I would learn in a life skills class that I need to learn? In other words, what do you think I need to learn about life?
The basics that you're clearly lacking: checking, savings, picking a school, driving, apartments, houses, utilities, not having your Mom tell you what to do at 20, resumes, job search, interview, workplace etiquette. An online forum isn't the place to get those.

Quote:
Like I said, a counselor could answer all of these questions, is what you're saying.
Yes. Like you said. So I'm not sure why you're still asking here.

Quote:
About students paying rent to their landlords: If they have a roommate, they split the rent between them, right? Like, each of them pays their half of it?
Typically a landlord wants one check, so a single roommate writes it and the others pay him or her. But it depends on the landlord.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The basics that you're clearly lacking: checking, savings, picking a school, driving, apartments, houses, utilities, not having your Mom tell you what to do at 20, resumes, job search, interview, workplace etiquette. An online forum isn't the place to get those.

Yes. Like you said. So I'm not sure why you're still asking here.

Typically a landlord wants one check, so a single roommate writes it and the others pay him or her. But it depends on the landlord.
How did I show that I'm lacking knowledge in workplace etiquette, savings, and houses?

Also, I don't think my CC offers a life skills course, I checked online.

Though, like I said in another thread, I took a job training course in high school, so I know about resumes, interviews, and workplace etiquette.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,352,947 times
Quote:
How did I show that I'm lacking knowledge in workplace etiquette, savings, and houses?

Also, I don't think my CC offers a life skills course, I checked online.

Though, like I said in another thread, I took a job training course in high school, so I know about resumes, interviews, and workplace etiquette.
Understand this is not an attack, it's an observation: you apparently missed everything else beyond job skills:

'Does Rice offer online courses?'

'My Mom won't let me drive' (from a 20 year old).

'What about mortgage' (for a question about an apartment).

'Does each roommate write a check'? (for a question about renting).

'How do I get to college?' (when told you should live on campus).

These are common sense or easily researchable things. You don't need to ask them on an online forum. By doing so, you're betraying a pretty fair lack of understanding of real-world skills, so I simply inferred that you didn't have the job thing nailed down yet. My apologies if you think you do. Of course, when you tell your boss you're late because your Mom didn't get you there on time, you may not last long.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Understand this is not an attack, it's an observation: you apparently missed everything else beyond job skills:

'Does Rice offer online courses?'

'My Mom won't let me drive' (from a 20 year old).

'What about mortgage' (for a question about an apartment).

'Does each roommate write a check'? (for a question about renting).

'How do I get to college?' (when told you should live on campus).

These are common sense or easily researchable things. You don't need to ask them on an online forum. By doing so, you're betraying a pretty fair lack of understanding of real-world skills, so I simply inferred that you didn't have the job thing nailed down yet. My apologies if you think you do. Of course, when you tell your boss you're late because your Mom didn't get you there on time, you may not last long.
I didn't say each roommate writes a check.

Oh wait, I know apartments don't have mortgage. Sorry.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,770,117 times
Quote:

Also, I don't think my CC offers a life skills course, I checked online

You show it by asking very basic questions that most people your age should already know. Believe me, I have a son that is only 1 year older than you. He doesn't have to ask these kinds of questions. He hasn't in a long time.

No I'm sure your CC doesn't offer a life skills class. It's something that is often offered in high school. Most people know these things or at least has some idea about them by they time they get out of high school. It's not something I think you will find in a college. They are assuming you already know these things. However, there may be some place else in your community that might offer something like that. I don't know if you live in a large city or a small town, but you need to do some research to see if there isn't something like if offered in your community somewhere.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
Please answer:

Your birth brain injury, did it leave you with some sort of physical or mental disability?

Did you take a SAT or other college placement exam in high school? If you did, what was your score? Remember that if it was below a certain level, very few colleges will accept you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities