Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
No, I mean, I should try to figure out what major/degree I want in the year/half of time I have left, for when I DO transfer to another college.
Take a variety of classes and see what interests you. I would also see if you can take some interest inventories that might point you in a good direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 PM

338 posts, read 741,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Take a variety of classes and see what interests you. I would also see if you can take some interest inventories that might point you in a good direction.
Do you mean to do this when I transfer to another university, or right now at community college?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Quote:
Do you mean to do this when I transfer to another university, or right now at community college?
Now. Sorry I wasn't specific.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Also, I'll have to take ONLINE courses, since I can't drive. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Also, I'll have to take ONLINE courses, since I can't drive. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?
OR, you can live on/near campus.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM

I also don't know how to pay mortgage or get insurance.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'll answer your question with a question, what is important to you in a college/university. That is going to vary for everyone. Mainly, however, you want to make sure the school is a match for you for your intended major or majors--after that, it could be size, location, cost, sports or not, etc, etc, etc.
Agreed.

And if you don't have a major selected, you should at least have a general direction in which you are working that will help you narrow down criteria.

Criteria is so individual, what's most important is finding the right fit, all around.

What my checklist included back in the day. You can see where these would not make everyone's list:

-Needs to be small (under 5k students in student body), and have small class size
-Preferably private
-Needs to be a liberal arts college
-Reputation of personal attention from instructors
-Classes taught by full professors with a history at the school, not TAs and adjuncts.
-Needs to be majority residential, not full of off-campus and commuter students...campus life was a selling point.
-Needs to have a strong music/theatre/fine arts program that is open to non-majors
-Needs to be in rural/small town setting, vs. urban/suburban
-Needs to be somewhere new (was not interested in going where half my graduating hs class was going)
-Needs to be far enough from home that I can't run home easily if things get tough, but close enough I can drive back in a day if there is an emergency.
-Needs to have a generous grants/scholarships package accessible, as I was low income/high academic achiever.
-Needs to have a variety of foreign study options.

Ultimately, though, once all of the above was met, it boiled down to gut feeling being the decider. All other things being equal, I went for the place that, when I visited, and when I talked to faculty and students, felt the most like a place I could actually live, call home, and enjoy the highest quality of life for four years while working on my degree. Feeling that sense of belonging was critical to my success. I wouldn't have done as well at a place that felt less personal and welcoming. For some people, that really doesn't matter much, but it did to me.

I wasn't very worried about my major, because my major is at essentially every college or university. I wasn't worried about admission critera because I was a high honors student. Didn't care about sports, so athletic division/reputation was a nonissue. Didn't care about Greek stuff, so a nonissue.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
OP, at the community college level, are you on a particular track, or just "general studies?" What classes are interesting you the most? What work experience do you have? What types of things do you enjoy, consider yourself skilled at. Have you done any type of career interest inventory? Most school's counseling departments and career centers will have lots of these available.

You don't need to go into college with a major set in stone, and many people do change their majors, although not that often drastically, but it's helpful to have enough of an idea that you don't spend a lot of time spinning your wheels taking a lot of classes that may not count toward what you're ultimately needing as requirements. School's costly. And if you transfer with an associate's degree, you've already got up to two years over, so it becomes pretty imperative that you have at least a rough road map sketched out for yourself.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM

I'm taking English and Art. I also took History.

As for experience, I took a job training course in high school and worked at the local hospital. Last summer, I worked at Goodwill. So, I have a bit of experience with work.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,574 times
Quote:
I DON'T know what major I want. I'm in my 2nd semester in CC, maybe I should start deciding now.
If you don't know what major you want, I would opt for a college that offers many majors in diverse fields. I made the mistake of picking a very specialized college right out of high school. Once I realized the major I picked didn't work for me, there was really no where else to turn (at that school). I ended up transferring.

Other than that, it's a balancing act between costs, expected return (job prospects, campus culture, etc.) and whether or not it's a good overall "fit" for you (for example, can you handle living and studying in a rural area, or do you prefer cities?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities