Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM

338 posts, read 742,080 times

Advertisements

I'm worried I don't have much left to pick what major/degree I want, since like I said, I'm in my 2nd semester of my first year at CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,951,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
What about how well it does academically, or undergraduate, etc?

How do I decide what I want to get my degree/major in?
How well it does academically is sort of covered in my list. Are you likely to be admitted? That sort of covers the academic reputation of the school. I assume you will try for good academic matches for you.

Nobody can decide what you want to study for you. Can your parents help? After all they know you.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,827,476 times
Quote:
I'm worried I don't have much left to pick what major/degree I want, since like I said, I'm in my 2nd semester of my first year at CC.

You don't have much time. The deadlines to transfer must be coming up fast. But you can still do that website in about 15 minutes and make a list of classes/aspects you like in an hour. You can proabably get in front of career counselor this week. Any 2 of those should be enough to get you in a place to make an educated guess as to a couple of majors you might like, then try flipping through a college catalog to see which group of classes sounds most interesting to you.

It's not like you HAVE to do for the rest of your life whatever major you pick. LOL. You can always change your mind next semester, the idea is the figure out which you want to try first.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM

3,612 posts, read 7,951,644 times
You need to know graduation rates. And this may be hard info to get. And ideally placement rates in your major.

> How do I decide what I want to get my degree/major in?

It's tough to make a good choice without even an approximate idea.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
You don't have much time. The deadlines to transfer must be coming up fast. But you can still do that website in about 15 minutes and make a list of classes/aspects you like in an hour. You can proabably get in front of career counselor this week. Any 2 of those should be enough to get you in a place to make an educated guess as to a couple of majors you might like, then try flipping through a college catalog to see which group of classes sounds most interesting to you.

It's not like you HAVE to do for the rest of your life whatever major you pick. LOL. You can always change your mind next semester, the idea is the figure out which you want to try first.
Actually, I have another year to go. I'm taking 2 years.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,009,213 times
Quote:
What are the most important things to look for when selecting a university?
Does it have the program you want and can you afford to go there and live there? Those are the most important things to look at.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, I have another year to go. I'm taking 2 years.
So are you trying to pick a major in your current school? I'm confused. Do you have a deadline you are working against?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM

No, I mean, I should try to figure out what major/degree I want in the year/half of time I have left, for when I DO transfer to another college.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, I mean, I should try to figure out what major/degree I want in the year/half of time I have left, for when I DO transfer to another college.

So you have plenty of time then! Don't stress.

Take a couple of the suggestions people have offered here to narrow down a few ideas in terms of majors. Then take am entry level class or two in each! You can get a better feel that way.

You can also visit your school's admissions(?) office or maybe if they have a transfer person, and find out if your school has articulation agreements with anyone, or which schools people normally transfer to. You can find out what the required GPAs are, if there are scholarships, etc.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,595,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think there are many factors involved in choosing a university. The answers as to what to look for vary by individual. A few things to consider:

1. Do they have a program you are interested in studying?
2. Are you likely to get admitted to the school?
3. What size school do you want?
4. Do you want to live on campus or off campus?
5. If you NEED on campus housing is it guaranteed for all years?
6. If it's not guaranteed can you obtain/afford off campus housing?
7. What kind of social atmosphere do you want?
8. If you have certain non academic interests how easy/difficult are they to pursue?
9. Do you want an urban, suburban, rural, or college town setting?
10. Can you afford the school?
11. Do you want an active Greek life or do you want to avoid schools with active Greek communities?
12. What is the reputation of the school in the business community?
13. How much help is the school's career center in obtaining internships/post graduation jobs?
14. Do you want to be able to participate in music, art or theater without having to major in those areas?
15. Do you want intramural sports?
16. Do you want a big time sports atmosphere?
Also very important - what percentage of classes are taught by full-time faculty (versus adjuncts and TA's)? It makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities