Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
Earlier this year I started a part time evening job at a local Community College where I teach as an Adjunct Instructor in Business Management. It has been quite an experience.

The one thing that bugs me more than anything is students who show up late. I am talking about 30-45 minutes late on a regular basis. (These are 3 hour classes) At 10 minutes after the official class start time I shut the door thinking that would send a message to the students that they are late and the class is already under way but they walk in like they own the place and expect me to stop the class and tell them what they missed.

When I ask them why they were late they usually go mute, or just say something like: "got held up, traffic, or I had other things I had to do."

I try to lecture them about the importance of punctuality but they just look at me like I am crazy and the rest of the class students freeze up and look embarrassed. I see them thinking, "just leave him alone, what's the big thing about being late!"

Are you a college instructor or student? What do you think about students who show up late all the time?

Did you set any sort of standard on the first day of class? Is it enforceable? Is there an attendance policy at the school in order for the student to get credit? By not saying anything and holding them accountable you're almost positively reinforcing their habit of being late. In the business field, would you allow an employee to be late on a regular basis? Are you doing them any favors by not discussing it because when they start their first jobs, their lateness will matter and might get them fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Had this in Physics 3. 30% of the grade. Awesome idea. One of the best teachers (he was a TA) that I had.
I had quizzes in several courses and I appreciated it. This system made it so much easier to study for the midterms and exams.

I could understand special circumstances, especially in a CC. However, several students doing this every week? Big no-no.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Earlier this year I started a part time evening job at a local Community College where I teach as an Adjunct Instructor in Business Management. It has been quite an experience.

The one thing that bugs me more than anything is students who show up late. I am talking about 30-45 minutes late on a regular basis. (These are 3 hour classes) At 10 minutes after the official class start time I shut the door thinking that would send a message to the students that they are late and the class is already under way but they walk in like they own the place and expect me to stop the class and tell them what they missed.

When I ask them why they were late they usually go mute, or just say something like: "got held up, traffic, or I had other things I had to do."

I try to lecture them about the importance of punctuality but they just look at me like I am crazy and the rest of the class students freeze up and look embarrassed. I see them thinking, "just leave him alone, what's the big thing about being late!"

Are you a college instructor or student? What do you think about students who show up late all the time?
Most professors these days don't care if you don't show up to class, play on your cell phone during the whole class, show up late. These kids are paying to go to school. It's not your job to give them motivation and babysit. That's a high school teacher's job. It's your job to teach the ones who do want to learn WELL. As in, know your material inside/out. That is hard enough if you have bright students. Very hard.

Forget about the slackers and just concentrate on the students who want to do well. If you don't have any of those, then time to switch jobs.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,724,266 times
Quote:

Again? Don't you ever get tired of making up new identities on here?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,931,396 times
I don't think you are ever going to the problem of late arrivals, just don't accommodate. Ever.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
At my last job, I was relieved late several times a month. Sometimes, my relief didn't show up at all. If it weren't for online classes, I probably wouldn't have finished my degree taking courses where attendance counted toward my grade. Thank goodness for online courses.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
I would make sure something very important is given at the first 30 minutes. What course do you teach? I teach ESL so it's easy for me to give some sort of dictation or other small quiz at the start of the class. People can be late if they want, but their mark will suffer. It's amazing how quick people speed up when you do that! Each little quiz is worth enough to make a dent if you habitually miss it, but not enough to hurt the good students who are dealing with misfortunate circumstances.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
If they are late I expect them to take a seat without disrupting the class. No, I will not go over what I have already covered.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM

111 posts, read 660,246 times
This might be possible if your class is in a big lecture hall and you lecture all class, but my classes are seminars where students are working the whole time in groups. I don't think it is ethical to just let students slide in that type of environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Most professors these days don't care if you don't show up to class, play on your cell phone during the whole class, show up late. These kids are paying to go to school. It's not your job to give them motivation and babysit. That's a high school teacher's job. It's your job to teach the ones who do want to learn WELL. As in, know your material inside/out. That is hard enough if you have bright students. Very hard.

Forget about the slackers and just concentrate on the students who want to do well. If you don't have any of those, then time to switch jobs.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 PM

9,305 posts, read 14,922,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

A lot of students think this way. But imagine how insulting and demoralizing it is for a teacher to be standing up in front of a a room trying to teach and looking out over people chatting, on their phones, looking at the internet, having some french fries, walking in and out, or dozing off.

In Asia, teachers are revered and respected.... perhaps that's why Asian students are generally higher achievers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities