Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times

Advertisements

Knowing what I know, I would do Psych.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Most Master's in Psych are not reimbursible by insurance. I'd go for the LICSW every time.

Some federal jobs in human services seem to fall under "law enforcement", as did RN jobs at a local federal prison hospital, and they had a maximum age for starting. I was too old. I knew a guy who took the job and there was something like a month of real boot camp and he quit the first week. Later I heard that they'd ended the age max but it took forever to do so (I'd gotten a job long before they ended the max).

I'd say gently that a master's in psych is useless, job-wise.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:37 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
OP is planning to work at a Vet Hospital, I gathered. So insurance wouldn't be a factor, unless he decides at some point to open his own practice. Plenty of MA's in Psych have solid practices even without being on the insurance rolls. MSW's aren't trained to do psych. Mainly they're trained to help people manage day-to-day issues, not deep emotional work. They're worthless to many patients. You need an MA in Psych to qualify for certain training to diagnose and treat Post-Traumatic Stress, for example.

In any case, the OP can do more research before he makes his decision.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM

60 posts, read 175,248 times
Sorry for taking so long to respond everyone. And a little info if it makes a difference, since it's not in my profile. I'm a she

Ruth has it covered quite well. I'm looking at either working in a VA facility of some sort, or through another venue, such as a Wounded Warrior-type organization. I've looked extensively into work with the WWP, and the positions I would be interested in call for either the Psych or MSW. However, I am leaning towards the Psych simply because I want to be involved in more than just day-to day issues.

If it helps, a little overview of an event that helped me make this decision. I am currently a clerk for a state court. I had a defendant come in to pay a traffic ticket, and he's a vet with PTSD and a traumatic brain injury that affects his speech and communication centers. Not that he is hard to understand, but he wants to, almost needs to, talk about his condition, his life, and what he's doing at all times. I was being friendly as per my normal capacity, and he just launched into a 10-minute speech about his injury, his time in the Army, his bracelet (it's got all his information inside in case of emergencies), his upcoming wedding, everything. He had to come back a couple of weeks later, and purposefully waited at my window so I could help him. I remembered him and asked how he was feeling and how the wedding planning was. His face lit up and he smiled and we chatted for a bit. Before he left, he told me that he wished he had a reason to come in and talk to me more. I was a little shocked and asked why, and he said, "Because you are the kind of person that me, and my buddies, could use every day. No one ever wants to listen or help us talk about our issues at -insert local military base name here-. It's hard to come back to a world you barely remember and not have anyone to talk to."

It really struck a huge cord with me. My husband is in the military and I've seen first-hand, on a frequent basis, how difficult it is for returning soldiers to learn to communicate with people back in civilian life. I am extremely passionate about it, and don't think the MSW would allow me to delve into the human, personal aspect of the job as much as I would like.

Thank you all so much for your advice. It's been enlightening and insightful to see some of the facets I've never looked into before.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Thanks to the OP for the work she hopes to do, regardless of the degree.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Great post, OP! Which program you choose depends on how deep you want to get with people. If you want to be a good, sympathetic ear, and help them manage their day-to-day life, help them learn how to get things done and work with bureaucracies, and help them jump through the hoops they need to jump through, and MSW is fine. If you want to be able to actually get to the root of what causes this compulsion to talk and to relive their experience, if you want to be able to help them heal, then you should go for the Psych degree. It's two completely different things, and from your description, it sounds like either one would be helpful and valued by Vets.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,530,209 times
MSW's can be counselors, many are in private practice, and just as someone else stated, they are reimbursed by insurance. Definitely go for the MSW b/twn the 2. I took a few courses with and have worked with MSW's, and from what you described, that would be a useful degree. It is nationally recognized and requires a license -- job security. You can do much more with the MSW, unless you go the whole PhD route in psychology.

I highly, highly recommend shadowing people of each type prior to making a decision.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 AM

60 posts, read 175,248 times
West, I never really thought about shadowing...that's a fantastic idea.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awayinco View Post
So, just finished my Bachelors in Applied Social Sciences. I wasn't planning to go back to school, but the more I look at the direction I want to take my career in, the more I realize that a Masters is going to be extremely helpful.

I'm hoping to work in a re-integration capacity for soldiers returning from deployment/returning to civilian life, something along those lines. A couple of the programs I've looked at that have openings in positions that I would be interested in mention either the MS in Psych or MSW as a preferred requirement, but I don't know which one would be better. I know the MSW may be more useful in the long run due to the availably and need for social workers, but that's not really a direction I'd like to go.

Anyone want to share their opinions or insight? I realize it's an entirely personal choice, but interested in seeing what others have to say.
It is VERY hard to get a job in Psychology.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is VERY hard to get a job in Psychology.
OP already has a job in mind, and the job requires an MA in psych (or MSW, either one). I think the chances of getting a job at a Vet's center are good, considering all the vets who need help. That field may be expanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities