Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times

Advertisements

My BA is in criminology.I plan on getting some internships going and also continuing my education for a masters degree. Now for my masters I am debating two degrees, one being international crime & justice and the other being digital forensics and cybersecurity. Both are interesting fields to me but I do not want to feel like I'm entering a worthless masters program(especially if I work hard to gain experience). Which program do you think fits the world more now and has more career opportunities? Thanks for the replies(if I get any that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
What do you intend to do with the degree?

Are you an IT guy? What is actually taught in the digital forensics and cybersecurity classes?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What do you intend to do with the degree?

Are you an IT guy? What is actually taught in the digital forensics and cybersecurity classes?
Well John jay is a very good and well known school around the world for criminal justice, criminology and law enforcement. But their masters program has some diversity in it. I not the type of guy that can build a PC from scratch then again i still like PCs. I was checking the careers available for the major on glassdoors and indeed and it seemed that the cybersecurity had more options. You can find work at some big companies on the law side of things. Seems cool. My only problem with the international crime&justoce degree is that it seems as if you have to do a lot of searching and have years of experience in order to see anything close to a 6 figure salary. Like I said before both degrees interest me so this is why I'm weighing out the options here.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
If you are getting a graduate degree in criminal justice with the thoughts of starting with a six figure salary, I suggest you rethink your game plan and find another line of work.

The international crime concentration is just fluff. The cybersecurity thing is not much better. People who do that line of work have IT degrees and are IT whizzes, or they have received significant training from the FBI (or other federal agency) after proving their worth as a field agent.

I am familiar with the reputation of JJ but I think you have false expectations about what a CJ graduate degree is going to do for you.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,470 times
Nothing to add except that I graduated John Jay class of 2009 with a BS in Criminal Justice. That school was awful lol. Good luck to you though.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you are getting a graduate degree in criminal justice with the thoughts of starting with a six figure salary, I suggest you rethink your game plan and find another line of work.

The international crime concentration is just fluff. The cybersecurity thing is not much better. People who do that line of work have IT degrees and are IT whizzes, or they have received significant training from the FBI (or other federal agency) after proving their worth as a field agent.

I am familiar with the reputation of JJ but I think you have false expectations about what a CJ graduate degree is going to do for you.
I'm not graduating with a criminal justice degree though. I'm doing my BA in criminology and deciding what masters i will be getting to. I'm not really worried about my future per say just wanted to know between international crimal justice and digital forensics/cybersecurity which one of the two has more options.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Nothing to add except that I graduated John Jay class of 2009 with a BS in Criminal Justice. That school was awful lol. Good luck to you though.
I actually like the school a lot except their reliability(having to go all the way to the city to ask simple questions) but their masters programs seem interesting.

What did you do with your degree?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
I am not in law enforcement at all and do not have any particular expertise with it. But it seems to me that developing an expertise in digital forensics and cybersecurity will be a growing field in the future. Crimes from terrorism to securities fraud to identity theft to corproate espionage are increasingly computer-generated and law enforcement will have to keep pace with the perpetrators.

My only question is whether or not John Jay is the best place to get trining in this as opposed to some other more generalized program, or a more highly regarded specialized one.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I am not in law enforcement at all and do not have any particular expertise with it. But it seems to me that developing an expertise in digital forensics and cybersecurity will be a growing field in the future. Crimes from terrorism to securities fraud to identity theft to corproate espionage are increasingly computer-generated and law enforcement will have to keep pace with the perpetrators.

My only question is whether or not John Jay is the best place to get trining in this as opposed to some other more generalized program, or a more highly regarded specialized one.
That's a good question. I use google daily on my options but google is full of alot of stuff and soapy different opinions positive and negative.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
What do you want to do for a living? International crime and justice sounds more like a research field. It might make you more appealing to federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies if you can get in. Learning a critical needs language would help. It would be easier to secure a job with a background in digital forensics and cybersecurity. It would not only make you appealing to federal LE and intelligence agencies, but it can lead to a career with government contractors or in the private sector.

If you're going the cybersecurity route, you're also going to want to look into getting certifications such as CISSP and CEH. If I'm looking at the right program, you're going to have to take the CSIBridge if you don't have a computer science background. That's an extra 12 credit hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities