Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,240,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4life View Post
For a while I have been interested in pursuing a degree within the med field, but after doing a bit of research I have become a bit skeptical of weather to do so due to how draining it can be. I really would like to pursue a degree within the Med field mostly because I would like to touch and help lives. My mom suggested going into a shorter career path and eventually determining if I would like to continue my studies further in the Medical Field. I will be transferring some credits into a suny, where I will be starting my first semester and I eventually look into going to a much more renown University that would look well on my resume and educational background. I don't know how possible that would be, based on the fact I wasn't the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's. Since graduating I have become more of a overachiever and hard worker in my studies. I would love to have the opportunity to go to Ivy's or even an amazing Med oriented school within the States. But what are the steps I would have to take? Insight! Insight!
Thanks

Some SUNY colleges are elite colleges. My wife is a graduate of an elite elite SUNY university. Ranked "Highly Competitive".

Good luck getting into one.

Many people who are accepted into Ivies are legacies.

You need to educate yourself.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,240,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You are NOT going to get accepted into any of the Ivys with your current grammar and spelling, particularly since you weren't "the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's". Just sayin'. I think you would have trouble getting into any of the SUNY universities (Albany, Binghamtom, Buffalo, Stony Brook) and possibly some of the more selective SUNY colleges with your academic record. That's reality.

Furthermore, "the med field" is very broad. Here are some choices (and certainly not all of them):
  • You can go to a SUNY community college and get a nursing degree in 2 years -- if you get accepted -- that practically guarantees you a job. The community college where I work has had a 100% placement rate for its nursing grads for several years now.
  • You can also go to a community college to get a medical technology or OTA degree that qualifies you to work in a doctor's or hospital office or work in rehab facilities.
  • You can get an associate's degree in biology or biochemistry and be medical lab tech. You can also get a bachelor's degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, chemistry or premed and become a physician's assistant, a pharmacist, a physical/occupational therapist etc.
  • You can also pursue a bachelor's degree in physical education and become an athletic trainer.
  • You can also pursue a psychology/sociology degree and become a counselor.
Since you don't know exactly what you want to do, I would suggest that you go to your local SUNY community college and major in biology/biological or health sciences. Many community colleges have agreements (articulation agreements) with four year schools where many of their grads transfer to accept all their grads' transfer credits if the students earn at least specified grades. You should check with the counseling center at your college about this.

If you are going to go to the expense of attending a four year SUNY college from your freshman year, then you should plan on doing your entire bachelor's program there. You may very well lose credits (and $$$) in transferring. Again, major in biology or biological or health sciences. What really looks good on your resume is taking and passing the right courses to give you the right skill set(s) employers are seeking; getting an internship and doing well in it; and doing projects that demonstrate your knowledge and skills.

Good advice. I didn't want to be snarky, but you said it well. He isn't ready for a four year college.

Or into a prestigious SUNY. She is correct. I don't think that you would be accepted at Binghamton or Stony Brook.

Dream on.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,811,020 times
OP, if you want to practice medicine, go learn how to practice medicine. Don't focus too much on the school. FInd one that offers what you want to study and check out which organizations recruit from there.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: removed rude comments

Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
OP, if you want to practice medicine, go learn how to practice medicine. Don't focus too much on the school. Find one that offers what you want to study and check out which organizations recruit from there.
Ummm ... the OP wants to get into "the medical field" which doesn't necessarily mean being a doctor although it could. The OP isn't sure what he/she wishes to study!

A big problem with becoming a doctor in the US is that you first not only have to have at least a bachelor's degree but good enough credentials to get accepted. There are many pre-med graduates from very well known colleges and universities with 4.0 GPAs and fantastic admissions test scores and great recommendations who don't get into American medical schools. Many settle for becoming pharmacists or physician's assistants. Some go to foreign medical schools and then take exams to be able to practice in the US.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-30-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,169,331 times
If you really just want to work in the medical field, why not just work part time/full time as a CNA, gain hours (many medical programs, not just MD require hundreds of hours of hands on experience), and get them to help pay for your LPN/RN.

I'm not sure why you need to go to a "renown" university?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Ummm ... the OP wants to get into "the medical field" which doesn't necessarily mean being a doctor although it could. The OP isn't sure what he/she wishes to study!

A big problem with becoming a doctor in the US is that you first not only have to have at least a bachelor's degree but good enough credentials to get accepted. There are many pre-med graduates from very well known colleges and universities with 4.0 GPAs and fantastic admissions test scores and great recommendations who don't get into American medical schools. Many settle for becoming pharmacists or physician's assistants. Some go to foreign medical schools and then take exams to be able to practice in the US.
Don't insult me with your "ummm" and your ridculous exclamation points my dear dimwit. I am in healthcare and am employed in Boston with the nation's top hospital (which incidentally gives me a faculty appointment at Harvard) according to the 2012 ratings of US News and World Reports so never you worry about my insight into the field. And even if I weren't in Healthcare, I would have a pretty decent understanding that healthcare does not necessarily mean doctor you bozo. And while here why not add that working in healthcare does not necessarily mean clinical care...did I totally just blow your feeble mind? My post purposely didn't mention doctor, and it didn't have to in order to be accurate, which it is for the most part.

You have to have a bachelors to become a doctor! Thanks, that's new information that nobody knew. And your need good credentials to go to med school? Oh man, I thought you could goof off and get in with a 1.5 GPA. I don't even think you know what pre-med is. Many schools don't offer pre med as a major - pre med is just a set of courses (bio, chem, etc.) that prepare one for work in clinical care. When someoen says they are pre med, all that means is that they are taking the necessary pre requisites that a med school requires. Hey, look at me - I'm taking accounting 1 & 2, I'm pre MS in Accounting!

But I agree with you, it is a big problem that we require people to do well academically and have good credentials to go to medical school. We are shutting the door on all those mediocre people that want to cut me open. Well known uni's, great scores, etc. and not able to go to med school? What are you talking about? Are you on the admission board of these med schools? Many settle for pharmacy or PA? Wow! You are quite the goo brain. Do you have any idea how competitive and intense those programs are? What do you think the majority of pharmacists were aspiring MD's who couldn't make it?

Were you aware that those foreign medical schools can be terrific and just as competitive? Do you think that American MD's are the best and most knowledgeable? All of these are rhetorical questions, so don't strain yourself. I do however have an important message for you:

The overlord of I Don't Know Anything world called. He wants you to stop talking, you're making them look bad.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,782,219 times
What's an Elite Suny university? Seems like a contradiction in terms.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,032,112 times
The OP is looking for 'insight', specific 'steps to take' to go to an 'Ivy or an amazing med oriented school'.

Would the posters who offered "if you want it, go get it" and "if you want to practice medicine, go learn how to practice medicine" offer something more tangible? Encouragement is fantastic but if you could be more specific please.

Remember, the OP by his own admission wasn't the greatest student in HS, didn't do well on the SAT's and is currently attending Empire State College which is the Adult Learning College of SUNY. Actually prior to attending the Ivy League or Med School the OP wants to transfer from SUNY to a 'more renown university that will look good on a resume'. I assume because SUNY Binghamton which has been named as the Top Public Ivy in the Northeast, or Stony Brook with its School of Medicine or Geneseo which boasts some of the highest SAT's scores in the country or for that matter Cornell University which is not only an Ivy League University but houses several schools that operate simultaneously under SUNY . . . are not 'renown' enough.

Please feel free to offer your advice as well as your continued encouragement.

Finally, please don't get upset because some of us that attended a SUNY (Master's and Professional Certification, Stony Brook) inferred from the OP that SUNY wasn't good enough. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
The OP is looking for 'insight', specific 'steps to take' to go to an 'Ivy or an amazing med oriented school'.

Would the posters who offered "if you want it, go get it" and "if you want to practice medicine, go learn how to practice medicine" offer something more tangible? Encouragement is fantastic but if you could be more specific please.

Remember, the OP by his own admission wasn't the greatest student in HS, didn't do well on the SAT's and is currently attending Empire State College which is the Adult Learning College of SUNY. Actually prior to attending the Ivy League or Med School the OP wants to transfer from SUNY to a 'more renown university that will look good on a resume'. I assume because SUNY Binghamton which has been named as the Top Public Ivy in the Northeast, or Stony Brook with its School of Medicine or Geneseo which boasts some of the highest SAT's scores in the country or for that matter Cornell University which is not only an Ivy League University but houses several schools that operate simultaneously under SUNY . . . are not 'renown' enough.

Please feel free to offer your advice as well as your continued encouragement.

Finally, please don't get upset because some of us that attended a SUNY (Master's and Professional Certification, Stony Brook) inferred from the OP that SUNY wasn't good enough. Thanks.

Make sure to go back and be born to parents with better connections, then score in the 99th percentile for everything related to academics. Then get to know some Senators who are alumni of your targeted institution and have them write some letters and make some calls. Hone in on a specific subset of clinical work that interests you and work with one or more of the people at the forefront of it - make sure to do some groundbreaking work that gets the attention of the industry (Have you seen the work published in Science where a group created false memories in mice? That would have been perfect, unfortunately the OP is not an undergrad student at MIT who helped the main authors). Finally, demonstrate an unmatched level of passion for the field and be able to express it in writing and action.

SUNY is plenty good, plenty. Binghamton has a great nursing program, Buffalo and Stony have good med school programs, etc. Nothing to disparage about a SUNY education. I think the point many were trying to make is that a SUNY or other comparable school is plenty good and that the OP should be focusing more on what makes sense for her with respect to where she is rather than chasing admittance to a renown uni. See? We're bringing the discussion into reality, which is a much bigger help then offering encouragement for her to go get 'em and "you can go to any school you want because you're awesome, just study hard!" Why would yu get upset that the OP inferred SUNY wasn't good enough? First of all, she probably did not express herself correctly but even if she did, she's attending a SUNY so she is saying a lot more about her than she is about others. She has unfullfilled aspirations, that's on her not other SUNY students or alumni. There's no reason to be defensive of a SUNY education unless one feels the same way she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities