Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Love how "open minded" liberal college professors truly are. In a speech class, a professor cut short a student's speech involving his religion and his religion's view on marriage. After cutting the speech short, a class assignment, he publicly insulted the student with a vulgarity before his classmates and instead of a grade for the assignment, the professor wrote, "ask god what your grade is". Just another example of close minded liberalism ruling today's universities.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2571899.story

Student Jonathan Lopez says his professor called him a "fascist bastard" and refused to let him finish his speech against same-sex marriage during a public speaking class last November, weeks after California voters approved the ban on such unions.

When Lopez tried to find out his mark for the speech, the professor, John Matteson, allegedly told him to "ask God what your grade is," the suit says.

Lopez also said the teacher threatened to have him expelled when he complained to higher-ups.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-16-2009 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: fixing link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM

272 posts, read 729,913 times
If you're a fascist, can't you find a fascist college somewhere?

Nothing says that you have the right to come in and change any college you choose. Why would you want to? There are places where you would fit right in TODAY!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM

So because he's religious he's fascist? Looks like the only fascist in the article is the professor who shut down the student's speech, part of the class assignment, simply because he disagreed or didn't like the subject of the speech. Looks like liberal colleges are becoming fascist states since many of them are limiting freedom of speech to particular areas and times the students can use them. Also, since when is it a requirement for a student to "fit in" with the social and policital ideals of his or her professors. Whatever happened to a free exchange of ideas and open debate? Instead, today's universities are replacing such ideals with cursing and insulting students who speak thoughts and opinions that professors disagree with.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
i would comment on this, and I do feel for the student, but there are too many sue happy people in the world who will sue just because they didn't like what was said on the forums. and there is a case going forth where a judge ordered an internet provider to release the names of the people who wrote whatever offense. freedom of speech and opinions are no longer allowed in many circles. for that reason, i'll abstain from further comment on this matter

Old 02-16-2009, 11:51 AM

This guy has a good case against the professor, either in the court or among the administration. This was a speech class. The student was giving a speech as part of the class assignment and the professor shut down the student's speech before it was finished simply because he didn't like the subject or opinion of the student and then ended by insulting the student with a vulgarity before the entire class and then refused to give the student a grade on the class assignment by using a remark that showed his hatred towards religion. Do you not want to comment on this because of what you said or because you possibly agree with the professor?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
i defintely do NOT agree with the professor or any school that employs such a person. I stand by my previous post.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM

I would say that the student would be much better off being educated by machines.

When you enter a class, except under the most extraordinary circumstances (and the above case does not qualify) you are in the teacher's/professor's domain. You want total objectivity? Again, machines, perhaps the internet would be a better choice.

I had professors that I didn't like. I also had been raised such that I didn't think I was owed anything. If the professor is against religion, write about something else. Surely this student COULD write about something else. Could the professor have handled this situation better? Of course! But he/she didn't. And it's his/her class.

Otherwise find another professor, or to be on the safe side, another school. There's Oral Roberts U, Bob Jones U, whatever that school that the Falwell/Robertson crowd loves so much.

Everybody is not there to validate your feelings.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
It would depend on the Univ

if it is known for professor's behaving like this, than Lopez should go somewhere else

but if it is like UCLA, USA, or a cal state, or something along those lines, that Professor needs to go

It is not his job to criticize students, insult them on their views, they should remain objective

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Everybody should be nice and nobody should insult without cause, but perhaps the professor has something of value to offer. We can't know from the account given.

But suing over having one's feelings hurt? I've seen the young ones that will most likely do just that while I was teaching high school. They're the ones that did nothing for their expensive cars clogging up the parking lot and spilling into the front yards in the surrounding neighborhoods.

I went to the most expensive private university in SC. There were two, and only two, what you might call expensive cars in the parking lots. Now they are full of them. No summer jobs paid for the ones I'm talking about.

And having had this good fortune, they go into the classrooms and expect their elders to agree or at least to nurture their "ideas". Some will, some won't. And some of the ones that won't are the best professors they'll ever have. Some of the ones that will will not have much to offer other than condolences.

What will these poor children do when their bosses in the companies where their parents got them jobs treat them poorly indeed over their expressed ideas? Sue?

Colleges are for learning many things. The course content is just one of them.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times
I would like to know what was actually said in the speech. If students complained that it was hate speech then I do think that a professor has the right to stop the speech. Maybe the professor said some thing that he should not have, but it also possible that the student was saying things that made other students uncomfortable.

IMHO I think that to make a solid decision about stopping the speech I would need to read the speech first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities