Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,921 times

Advertisements

cursive just isnt practical or dieing, kind of like speaking in old english.

have you seen any student use the word whilst?

i can read it but if i have someone write a sloppy cursive..forget it. its worse than regular hand writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Not being able to read cursive to the point where someone else must decipher it for you is pitiful, even if you didn't learn it in school. It's not really very different than manuscript, and is for the most part very intuitive. If I had someone working under me who couldn't decipher cursive script, I'd be concerned about their capacity for any real intellectual processing.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
cursive just isnt practical or dieing...
What?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM

37,162 posts, read 41,357,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not being able to read cursive to the point where someone else must decipher it for you is pitiful, even if you didn't learn it in school. It's not really very different than manuscript, and is for the most part very intuitive. If I had someone working under me who couldn't decipher cursive script, I'd be concerned about their capacity for any real intellectual processing.
That's exactly what I think. The letters look too much like their printed counterparts for it to be impossible to read. Legibility might be the issue, not that it is cursive.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,131,009 times
There used to be a computer font that was cursive letters too. Not sure what it was called though. Sad to know that this form of writing is on it's way out the door.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 AM

809 posts, read 1,332,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Thank you - these 2 interns don't read or attempt to read cursive. It is something they have never been exposed to- it isn't due to being unable to read my cursive-they don't read cursive and neither attempted.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Maybe, but I don't think so- in his line of work his computer would broken on a weekly basis. He might be walking in a foot of mud- he might be standing in pouring down rain, etc. He would love to be able to input everything right into the computer, but at his job sites it is just not feasible. If he drops the paper or it gets wet, he just needs to redo it- not get a new computer, If he is inspecting a site that is safe to input right into the computer, of course he does- but most of the time it isn't possible.
And as I mentioned- the 2 schools I work in- everything isn't done by computer. Off the top of my head I am thinking about the announcements put on the TV station everyday- most of the teachers stop by the TV station room in the AM - handwrite a note and a student inputs the info. into the computer to be broadcast.

I looked at the timesheets she needed to hand in- I had to signoff on it as well as the student- she printed her signature.

I see peoples point of view, but still not convinced because I know of many reasons people may write things out rather than use the computer!
Sure people write things out, but it doesn't have to be in cursive.....

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM

16,908 posts, read 16,153,568 times
People are pitifully stupid these days. Education is pretty much gone.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,483,988 times
I find it shocking and moderately ridiculous how many people (I am currently a graduate student) takes notes in print!

That said, I can bear when someone doesn't wish to write using cursive, but not being able to read it? That's rather sad.

For the record, I am 23.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,591,624 times
I teach in a college and unfortunately, most of the work is still done by hand (I really wish the students would type, but we don't have in-class computers yet and not everyone has a laptop). Over the years I have gotten very good at deciphering bad cursive, but there is always one kid in every class whose writing I simply cannot read. Sometimes I have to ask them to please print (and sometimes they actually don't know how to do that!). My students are not American-born. Also, I never write anything in cursive because no one can read it. So I wonder if the issue isn't that they can't read cursive at all, but rather that they are not as good at deciphering sloppy cursive as those of us who grew up with it are. Perhaps the OP has particularly difficult cursive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities