Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM

88,868 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I write every day, but not in cursive. To be honest, my handwriting is pretty bad, so if I didn't print it probably wouldn't be legible anyway.
I bring a notebook and pen to meetings and take notes. Sometimes if it's a few days before I refer to the notes, I have trouble trying to figure out what I wrote.

I also still write some things in Gregg shorthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Do they serve a real purpose?
In outlines and in certain contract documents, they do.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I need opinions as to how to handle the following. Last semester I had a wonderful intern- her degree will be in counseling and human services. She received a full scholarship to her university and as far as I was concerned, she was the "best" intern we have ever had. One day I gave her a note when I was out of the office - my coworker was not there either. Turns out, she had to call me because she couldn't read the note because it was written in cursive.

I was surprised to say the least, but I know that is not a priority in public education anymore. (She was a wiz on the computer- much better than me, so I never said anything, I just used the computer instead of handwriting notes after that incident.)

A new intern started last week - guess what - she can't read cursive either. These are not dumb students. The private university they attend require above a 600 on each section of the SAT to get the scholarships they have, as well as maintaining a 3.6GPA.

Anyone else ever run into this? If I go to the university about this, who do you think I should discuss the situation with?

I think that this is normal for millennials. My children can read cursive but have a hard time. They don't write it - except to sign checks.

It's not a big deal IMHO.

I write everything before I type. My typing skills are not the best - as I am sure many C D people have learned and I write better with a pen in my hand - than a key board at my finger tips. I don't like typing - never did.

I paid to have my college papers typed because I was terrible at it. Dropped it in High School because I was bad at it.

I don't think "cursive" will be around for much longer.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,689,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bring a notebook and pen to meetings and take notes. Sometimes if it's a few days before I refer to the notes, I have trouble trying to figure out what I wrote.

I also still write some things in Gregg shorthand.
Someone earlier mentioned shorthand was no longer taught because no one uses it. I wish I taken it seriously when it was taught to me. Note taking in college would have been much easier.

I try to teach my students little shorthand shortcuts when I am teaching my content.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Someone earlier mentioned shorthand was no longer taught because no one uses it. I wish I taken it seriously when it was taught to me. Note taking in college would have been much easier.

I try to teach my students little shorthand shortcuts when I am teaching my content.
I went to a well-respected secretarial school in 1978. When I got out, I could take shorthand at 130 wpm and type at 80. I still type fast because I use that all the time--that's another subject--coworkers who sit at computers but don't know how to type. I almost yanked my manager out of his chair one day while we were formulating an email to send out--to watch him search for each key letter by letter was painful to watch, then that wouldn't sound right so he would slowly hit the delete key... I finally had to tell him in a nice, controlled voice, "Let me sit there and type this while we figure out what to say."

Anyway, the secretarial school guaranteed graduates free lifetime brush-up typing and shorthand classes. The school is now sort of a two-year junior college. I was thinking of calling them one day and saying, "Hey, I want to take a brush-up shorthand class" just to see what the reaction would be!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,884,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In outlines and in certain contract documents, they do.
It is physically impossible to replace Roman numerals?

VII

See how easy that was?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 PM

43,868 posts, read 44,636,592 times
It seems that in China there is a similar problem of young people not knowing how to write Chinese characters due to computers, etc.: Lost for words|X-Ray|chinadaily.com.cn

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,018,989 times
A timely article today:

Learning cursive writing: Is it worthwhile or a waste of time? - TODAY.com

Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM

156 posts, read 448,304 times
I can kind of see how someone could not know how to write in cursive, although I'm 23 and write in cursive about 50% of the time, especially when I have to jot something down very quickly. (I also, however, went to Catholic grade school, where the Palmer method still thrived as of the late 1990s.)

But not being able to read it at all? C'mon now.

Hire the intern and say, "I'm your boss and you'll need to learn my handwriting because this is the way I right." Maybe not in that tone. Or maybe in that tone, I don't know what kind of boss you are.

But the university will undoubtedly not care.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is physically impossible to replace Roman numerals?

VII

See how easy that was?
No, it's not physically impossible to replace Roman numberals, but no one ever said it was so I have no idea what made you type that.

Anyway, so you replaced Clause VII with Clause 7. Then you have subclause A, B, C, under that Clause 7, and subclause B has subclauses to it that would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and .... oh, we already used that format over the A B C.

It is less confusing to refer to Clause VII.A.7 than Clause 7.A.7 and gives you an additional identifier to add to (A) (1) (a) (i), etc. And then would we even use the romanettes (i, ii, iii, iv, etc.) if we got rid of the Roman numerals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities