Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Addressing professors with Ph.D.'s: "Dr." or "Professor"?
Dr. 20 51.28%
Professor 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,601,928 times

Advertisements

Most people have a preference. I prefer my first name, but am ok with either Dr. or Ms. If they call me professor I tell them that's a job title (the one with benefits) and I don't have that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,994,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have never heard of a college professor addressed as "professor." The ones who have a preference will usually request that you refer to them as either "Dr." or by their first name
out of curiosity, are you sure these were tenured professors teaching? not sure where you are/were taking classes. many CCs and lower ugrad courses are taught by adjuncts

IME professors are called professor unless they prefer first name. it's certainly the more prestigious of the two titles at any place that has a tenure system

really surprised at the voting

Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,746,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
out of curiosity, are you sure these were tenured professors teaching? not sure where you are/were taking classes. many CCs and lower ugrad courses are taught by adjuncts

IME professors are called professor unless they prefer first name. it's certainly the more prestigious of the two titles at any place that has a tenure system

really surprised at the voting
Many were/are tenured but most students don't pay much attention to whether college professors are tenured or not. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees from Pitt, Indiana University of PA and Rochester Institute of Technology.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Many were/are tenured but most students don't pay much attention to whether college professors are tenured or not. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees from Pitt, Indiana University of PA and Rochester Institute of Technology.
not that the students care, but that the instructors might introduce themselves to students themselves accordingly

anyway, color me surprised. there must be more variance among US schools than i thought, my school list is just as long with a different experience

Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
not that the students care, but that the instructors might introduce themselves to students themselves accordingly

anyway, color me surprised. there must be more variance among US schools than i thought, my school list is just as long with a different experience
If you mean something like, "Good Morning class. I am Professor Smith and a tenured professor here at State University," I have never seen that happen.

I had one professor for two classes who had taught at the same university for over 40 years. I don't think he had tenure and I could find any evidence that he had a PhD. He was part-time and would usually teach 2-3 classes a term.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If you mean something like, "Good Morning class. I am Professor Smith and a tenured professor here at State University," I have never seen that happen.

I had one professor for two classes who had taught at the same university for over 40 years. I don't think he had tenure and I could find any evidence that he had a PhD. He was part-time and would usually teach 2-3 classes a term.
no i mean something like an adjunct lecturer saying something like "please call me mr. so-and-so" or "please call me billy" in order to discourage the use of professor. agreed no one ever announces they have tenure

are you sure that long-termer was an actual professor? sounds like a long term adjunct to me. the dept directory lists who is who, never any need to guess

anyway at this point it doesn't matter. at the three unis i've gone to, professor is more common than doctor for actual professors. at yours, it wasn't. seems that's all there is to it

Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
I have never heard of a college professor addressed as "professor." The ones who have a preference will usually request that you refer to them as either "Dr." or by their first name. I have had professors who never mention how they prefer to be addressed and didn't list on their syllabus whether they have a PhD.
My husband's grad school adviser preferred to be called "Professor. This was some years ago.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
no i mean something like an adjunct lecturer saying something like "please call me mr. so-and-so" or "please call me billy" in order to discourage the use of professor. agreed no one ever announces they have tenure

are you sure that long-termer was an actual professor? sounds like a long term adjunct to me. the dept directory lists who is who, never any need to guess

anyway at this point it doesn't matter. at the three unis i've gone to, professor is more common than doctor for actual professors. at yours, it wasn't. seems that's all there is to it
He has been an adjunct since the late 1960s. I have always referred to any college instructor as a professor. There is no information on the school's website on whether he has a PhD.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I have never heard of a college professor addressed as "professor." The ones who have a preference will usually request that you refer to them as either "Dr." or by their first name. I have had professors who never mention how they prefer to be addressed and didn't list on their syllabus whether they have a PhD.
This. When writing letters or something more formal, some will put "Professor Smith" or whatever, but I don't think I've ever encountered a professor who wanted to be called that on a regular basis. Dr. Smith is the norm. IME, non-PhD lecturers usually just go by their first name.

That's all undergrad though. For grad school, most professors are just their first name. Only the really old ones go by Dr. Smith.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 54,331 times
I think it's "Dr."
Professor is a higher degree
am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities