Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Addressing professors with Ph.D.'s: "Dr." or "Professor"?
Dr. 20 51.28%
Professor 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Students and professors are not playmates -- there should be a great deal of distance between them. Professors are there to teach and conduct research, whereas students are there to learn and to do what they're told until they grow up.
That's one hell of a sweeping generalization. Maybe that attitude is necessary in an intro lecture, but how will students ever be successful if they can't establish mentor relationships with professors, assist them with research, things like that. If they're treated by EVERY professor like just some diversion up until graduation and not actual active participants in whatever they're being taught, what good is the education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
to call me Sgt, since I had earned it!
that's hilarious! out of curiosity, i assume that it's frowned upon among military folks to have civvies use their titles casually like that (by that i mean outside of a military setting). is that true?

who the F objects to sir/ma'am. no matter what one's title, it's just polite. what a loser

Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Students and professors are not playmates -- there should be a great deal of distance between them. Professors are there to teach and conduct research, whereas students are there to learn and to do what they're told until they grow up.
professors value students who can think for themselves far more than they value students whose strongest virtue is obedience. i never understand the infantilization of young adults that occurs on this board

as far as distance, it simply is up to the preference of the professor. my ugrad advisor had me call him by first name when i was 19. somehow i managed to learn anyway and not see him as a "playmate"! my MS advisor preferred to be addressed as "professor" even though i was 33. only a fool would say i hadn't "grown up" by then

Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
First off the bat, this is not about Ph.D.'s "right" to be called "Dr." They've certainly earned the title, and suggesting that MD's are the only "real doctors" is frankly ignorant.

When formally addressing professors with a Ph.D., which is the better or preferred title? Which has been more common in your experience?

Why "Professor" is preferable:

- The vast majority of professors have Ph.D.'s an there are more "doctors" than there are professors, so becoming a professor is more of an accomplishment. I believe that US Diplomatic Protocol ranks the title "Professor" higher than "Dr."

- On the other hand, the title Professor doesn't create a hierarchy between tenured faculty with and without Ph.D.'s, in other words they're being judged on their current accomplishments and position not a degree they may have received decades ago.

Why "Dr." is preferable:

- For the most part, the further up the academic ranks, the more common the doctorate. Many community colleges still have professors with master's degrees, while faculty with no doctorates are much less common in major research universities. Also,

In the UK, the title "Professor" is much more selective with only the equivalent of Full Professors entitled to use it, so it's very distinctive indeed. In the US "professors" are more common, including tenure-track assistants and sometimes even adjuncts so there are a lot more of them.

It really depends upon the individual professor, and what they want to be called.

The PhD is the more "academic" of the two degrees. PhD and MD. There are many MDs who are not exactly intellectuals. Some are. Many are not.

I like "Professor"better for that reason. Also, it does not create so much hierarchy.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,256,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
it's the opposite. as a lecturer, i was not a professor

if i were a police officer, and someone called me lieutenant or sergeant when i wasn't, it would be similarly inaccurate

not a perfect analogy, but close enough
A better analogy would be addressing a junior member of a royal family. For instance, the noble title "Duke of York" is usually bestowed upon the second son of a British king/queen and their consort - so he's essentially simultaneously a prince and a duke. Obviously the title of prince trumps that of a duke, but in reference he can usually be safely called either Prince X or Duke of York (always in full, never simply Prince or Duke). He can also be called His Royal Highness either as an address or in reference.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
I only addressed full professors as professor. Anyone else who had a doctorate got doctor. A lecturer was just Mr./Ms.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,153,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
First off the bat, this is not about Ph.D.'s "right" to be called "Dr." They've certainly earned the title, and suggesting that MD's are the only "real doctors" is frankly ignorant.

When formally addressing professors with a Ph.D., which is the better or preferred title? Which has been more common in your experience?

Why "Professor" is preferable:

- The vast majority of professors have Ph.D.'s an there are more "doctors" than there are professors, so becoming a professor is more of an accomplishment. I believe that US Diplomatic Protocol ranks the title "Professor" higher than "Dr."

- On the other hand, the title Professor doesn't create a hierarchy between tenured faculty with and without Ph.D.'s, in other words they're being judged on their current accomplishments and position not a degree they may have received decades ago.

Why "Dr." is preferable:

- For the most part, the further up the academic ranks, the more common the doctorate. Many community colleges still have professors with master's degrees, while faculty with no doctorates are much less common in major research universities. Also,

In the UK, the title "Professor" is much more selective with only the equivalent of Full Professors entitled to use it, so it's very distinctive indeed. In the US "professors" are more common, including tenure-track assistants and sometimes even adjuncts so there are a lot more of them.
All of my professors with doctorates (the vast majority) in college were referred to as "Dr."

I don't remember anyone calling them "Professor." They referred to themselves as Dr. on the syllabus they handed out on the first day of class.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
If I'm a student in a high school or college, I would address ALL my teachers as Mister, Mrs., or Miss. This is still a recognition of respect. First names in this environment I do believe are disrespectful. I'm pretty tired of overblown elitism though. if you've received your title I'm sure it was by hard work and I'm sure you're getting compensated accordingly. That's satisfactory. You're not a "God". My oldest daughter has a doctorate, but she's a humble and accepting person who goes by Mrs. in her work environment.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,738 times
So much generalization going on here from a few people. In community college everyone called the person teaching "professor" because honestly they didn't know any better. The CC crowd isn't the most academic group of kids, sorry but been there, done that. However at a CC a person with a Masters (18 credit hours) CAN be granted the title Professor. But at the Uni level its extremely rare for a person without a Phd to be granted the Professor title.

FYI Ive never called a Professor a Dr and had them take offense and correct me.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,468 times
Assistant and associate professors often respond favorably to the abridged title "Ass Pro".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities