Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,030 times

Advertisements

I know a few doctors who went to my university: James Madison University in VA. Not a very well-known school out of the south.

I also know some who went to: Old Dominion University, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, Virginia Wesleyan College, Duke University, Columbia University.

Going to a more prestigious school won't hurt, but with the right grades, work ethic, standardized test scores, volunteer work.... you can make it to medical school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM

9,754 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
When I see evidence to the contrary, I'll gladly change my mind.
Then pick up that 3" book AMA book (forget the name) as it spells out all of the stats. It's purpose is to help students avoid wasting their time and money from applying to schools who are heavily biased towards their home team. For my DD's case (and dentistry), the ADA book showed all but one student in Iowa's dental program was outside of Iowa. Private colleges didn't show any state allegiances. This happened all across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
BTW, my point wasn't that you can't get in 'somewhere' if you go to a non-prestigious school, but more that going to a prestigious school helps your cause a lot to get into a school in general.
I agree so long as that student is talented. But it may work against them with a 28 MCAT because they may have lost their home town advantage. Most of the "prestigious" medical schools are private (see Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools ) and they certainly don't care where you lived while in high school. My point was that the state schools don't care about the "prestigious" UG programs, they care about where you plan on living. Those State schools churn out a lot of Doc's. Your ceiling isn't capped if you happen to graduate from the UofMN med school for instance. Your MCAT score and how you do in your standardized exams while in med school will dictate your future. What programs you enter and therefore how much you make and what your hours will be like for the years to come.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Jobaba, I bet I know about 800 times more docs than you...your grades, MCAT, research, and extracurriculars beat the school every time.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Repeating any science course puts you down to the bottom of the list (this OP, I presume, by his name, is a white male). The business about a masters degree in a medical science (for example, physiology or biochem [if that's your ilk] are one very productive way of dealing with a GPA that is not competitive (which these days is about 3.5). There is a preference for applicants with such degrees. It is also a good way to "network" your way into the MD program. Make sure you 4 point in grad school though.

PS> Never EVER take a MCAT without taking a Kaplan course first. You'd be amazed at: 1) how many applicants do and never tell anybody; and 2) what a boost to those scores that course will provide!

I am not in any way associated with review courses like Kaplan nor do I receive any financial benefits for making such statements.

I've sat on an admissions committee for several years. I know these things.
In your experience, what is the best major for someone who wants to go to medical school? I know someone who attended medical school in the 1970s. He was a math major, and he did an analysis of the performance of the students in his class and determined that the best predictor of success in medical school was the verbal portion of the MCAT. In essence, he said, if you had the verbal skills, you could learn the science. In addition, the class had a number of people with non-traditional majors, including, if I remember correctly, someone whose field was music.

Would not declaring yourself as interested in medical school and just making sure you took the prerequisites avoid some of the minefields schools set for "pre-med"?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,348,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
...There are many ways to be involved in healthcare without becoming a MD.
About 149 different professions

Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,669 times
[quote=TwinbrookNine;31628748]
Quote:
I had a doctor admit to me he failed his first year chemistry class in undergrad. But he passed it the second time around.
Quote:

Repeating any science course puts you down to the bottom of the list (this OP, I presume, by his name, is a white male). The business about a masters degree in a medical science (for example, physiology or biochem [if that's your ilk] are one very productive way of dealing with a GPA that is not competitive (which these days is about 3.5). There is a preference for applicants with such degrees. It is also a good way to "network" your way into the MD program. Make sure you 4 point in grad school though.

PS> Never EVER take a MCAT without taking a Kaplan course first. You'd be amazed at: 1) how many applicants do and never tell anybody; and 2) what a boost to those scores that course will provide!

I am not in any way associated with review courses like Kaplan nor do I receive any financial benefits for making such statements.

I've sat on an admissions committee for several years. I know these things.
I took the MCAT without taking a course and I did just fine.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 AM

9,754 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

I took the MCAT without taking a course and I did just fine.
I think Supine's point was an excellent program like Kaplan boosts your MCAT scores. A "Just fine" score could have been raised by several points.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I think Supine's point was an excellent program like Kaplan boosts your MCAT scores. A "Just fine" score could have been raised by several points.
I had a 42T. But to be fair, I've always been good at tests and I made straight A's in college.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm not fully decided. I mostly chose Pre-Med because a lot of suggestions from friends and family (aside from Bio and Calc reasons). The other suggestions were Pre-Law (which sounds even worse after reading these posts), Finance, Chemistry (didn't choose it as my major for obvious reasons), and Biology. I also considered Politics but my parents wouldn't let me.

My favorite subjects (Biology, Politics, History, Art) unfortunately are not going to provide a profitable future. I lived in NYC, so I saw my share of Medieval History, Contemporary Arts, and Politics majors protesting at Zucotti Park or/and selling whoppers at McDonalds
To carry on this biology narrative, a couple of points:

1. You will have to take chemistry to be a bio major. The number of courses depends on the specific program.

2. There are many things one can do with a bio degree. Most involve grad school, but since you were considering med school, that shouldn't be a problem. One of my daughters got her bio degree at St. Olaf and went from there to physical therapy school (a doctoral program) at the U of CO. The other got a bio degree from the U of CO and went on to get a master's in public health there. There are many other options as well, including getting a teaching certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
To be clear, there is no such thing as "Pre-Med" or "Pre-Law".
Agreed. You can search this forum for prior discussions. My personal physician has a degree in art history.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
There are degrees in pre-law.
Major in Pre-Law Studies
Bachelor of Arts in Pre-Law Studies Degree Program, Pre-Law Studies Courses | Victory University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities