Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times

Advertisements

I am deciding if i want to do CHM online or in person.

I like the in person lectures and the interaction of the teachers. I liked the labs for that same reason, but hate relying on someone else or waiting for someone else or feeling stupid in front of someone else. I'm eventually going to have to go to in person at a university level, but i don't know.

I'm thinking online, but i thought i'd ask some other opinions before i make my choice.

Right now im still at the very bottom at the 130 - 150 level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
My school offered chem I online last semester and I never understood how they handled the lab portion. I have taken lower-level college chemistry and I wouldn't worry about feeling stupid around other people. Relying on someone else is one thing, but lab experiments tend to go awry anyways in one way or another. Believe me, you will not be the only person in the room wondering why your solution is not turning blue. My experience has shown me that at least half of the class is going to be lost with this or that at any given point in lecture or lab. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:22 AM

690 posts, read 2,109,309 times
My rule of thumb is that, if a class is offered online, take it online. But, I'm the type of person that doesn't get anything out of a lecture...I usually feel like those are a waste of time (to me). I get more out of reading the text and doing homework. Plus, if you take it online you might get to take your tests online...which means open book.

And you seem to be smart, I'm sure you'll do fine either way if you put in the effort!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,430 times
As a chemistry teacher, I would have to say in person.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
All schools that I know of don't offer labs online - I mean, isn't that kind of impossible t do a lab online? And about whether in person or online for the chemistry class, I guess it would depend on how much ability you have in that area but for something like chemistry I would think in person would be the way to go. I've taken some courses online and some in person and I do much better in person as when I listen to a lecture I remember what I have heard, whereas if I have to read it all and try to remember, my mind wanders while I'm reading especially if it is a subject that is boring to me, and I spend a lot more time reading than with lecture and reading.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
As someone who had lots and LOTS of college chemistry, I would never take any chemistry class online. I think you lose SO much: being able to ask a question, meeting with your professor one on one, going to lab (which is a HUGE part or chemistry.

I'd say 'no.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities