Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

I decided to major in Med School because I got insanely high Biology grades and did really well on AP Bio tests in High School. Yet I'm a Freshman in college and got caught completely off-guard by Chemistry. I did pretty mediocre in High School in Chemistry, but I thought that Calculus and Bio would be more important, so I hoped I could skid by with mediocre Chem grades as long as I did well in Bio and Calc. Instead I went to college and smelled the Hypochlorite coffee that Chem is actually pretty important. Three weeks in, I seem to be falling behind everybody even though I study. Should I fold the cards on Med-School?

I've been eyeing Finance. I been lookin over at my roomie's Finance books, and a lot of the stuff in there seems to be common sense mathematics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Important for what exactly? Just muddle through it with a passing grade and forget, just the way everybody else (including doctors) does. Or better yet, talk to your friendly family physician (if any) and inquire about chemistry (inorganic, organic, physical, whatever) and see how little chemistry knowledge it takes to make above average income in medical biz.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
medical school biochem is a beast. 2.5 weeks of an insane amount of biochem.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
LOL! I think it's funny that you are majoring in "medical school"....

Honestly, I think with college, you can do well in anything as long as you put forth the effort. None of it is so hard that it absolutely cannot be done and this includes chem, o-chem, etc. I would just spend more time on the subject if it isn't something that comes naturally to you. I would visit my professor's office hours, ask more questions, use youtube to find tutorials on how to do things.

Having good grades in chemistry is a pretty big deal to get into medical school, but I don't think getting good grades in the subject is something that you can't do. My boyfriend is applying to physician's assistant school shortly and chemistry did not come as easily to him as biology did, but he made sure he got to know his professors, visited their office hours, and tried to be the squeaky wheel that got the grease.

You're young, so right now.... I would start thinking about what my true interests are and what do I see myself enjoying. Do I absolutely want to be a doctor? If not, do I want to do something else in the medical field (physician's assistant, physical therapist, healthcare administration, nursing). Are my interests not in the medical field, but still science/tech related (engineering, working in a lab environment for pharmaceutical companies, geologist for oil companies, etc)?

I wouldn't go into something thinking, "Maybe I'll do that just bc it seems like common sense." Work with your career and academic planning center at your university in order to figure out what do you truly want to do. If you want to go to medical school, I wouldn't be discouraged by chemistry, but would rather know my limitations and work with them by just working harder on that particular subject.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I decided to major in Med School because I got insanely high Biology grades and did really well on AP Bio tests in High School.
Where is this? AFAIK, Med School is not a major anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Important for what exactly? Just muddle through it with a passing grade and forget, just the way everybody else (including doctors) does. Or better yet, talk to your friendly family physician (if any) and inquire about chemistry (inorganic, organic, physical, whatever) and see how little chemistry knowledge it takes to make above average income in medical biz.
Are you kidding me?
Chemistry is VERY important, especially organic chemistry!

Muddling through and getting a passing grade will NOT get you into a medical school.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Where is this? AFAIK, Med School is not a major anywhere....
I'm a retard Meant to say pre-med

Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I decided to major in Med School because I got insanely high Biology grades and did really well on AP Bio tests in High School. Yet I'm a Freshman in college and got caught completely off-guard by Chemistry. I did pretty mediocre in High School in Chemistry, but I thought that Calculus and Bio would be more important, so I hoped I could skid by with mediocre Chem grades as long as I did well in Bio and Calc. Instead I went to college and smelled the Hypochlorite coffee that Chem is actually pretty important. Three weeks in, I seem to be falling behind everybody even though I study. Should I fold the cards on Med-School?

I've been eyeing Finance. I been lookin over at my roomie's Finance books, and a lot of the stuff in there seems to be common sense mathematics
Wait, so the only reason you're majoring in pre-med is because you were good at high school biology? Honey, that's not enough of a reason. Heck, I aced high school biology too, as well as anatomy & physiology, and passed high school chemistry, but I knew 2 semesters into a pre-veterinary major that I wasn't cut out to be a vet, doctor, nurse, or anything hospital related. I spent enough time volunteering and working in a hospital setting to realize that I lacked the proper temperament to do so.

What other reason do you have to go into pre-med? Be honest here. Have you ever worked or volunteer at a hospital, clinic, or nursing home? Do you have an intense desire to work with the sick and infirm? Are you thinking it's guaranteed six figure job? It's very early in your college career so if I was you, I would make a list of things you really want to do, based not just on what classes you passed in high school, but based on actual desire and aptitude. For now, stick with completing your gen eds-you may find your passion there.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Are you kidding me?
Chemistry is VERY important, especially organic chemistry!

Muddling through and getting a passing grade will NOT get you into a medical school.
You haven't talked to your friendly doctor, have you? If it's so important, just ask doctors what they remember about chemistry, and it's not much (and it's mostly info buzz), as far as useful practical knowledge goes it's even less than the buzz they remember.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
If you are white and male you will need A's in chemistry (including organic), comparative anatomy, and physics, and be workiing in a healthcare facility while in school to boot. That's just the way it is. If you are pretty smart and motivated, these days, law school is the better choice anyway. The entire developed world will be run by lawyers in your lifetime. Doctors in the US are soon to become underpaid serfs. I wouldn't bother with it from what you're saying. Bail out.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-29-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
LOL! Just because they don't remember it, doesn't mean that they haven't had to learn it and use it as a building blocks to much of their medical training. Honestly, my boyfriend has been talking to many doctors and physician's assistants, all of whom have told him chemistry was important in his studies. It is why he ended up majoring in biology and minoring in chemistry due to the amount of folks who told him that having a chemistry background would be beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities