Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,358,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm getting pulverized by the Labs. The quizzes/tests aren't too bad, I'm pulling up myself in those, but the Labs are obliterating my grade

I could already see this is a "weed-out" course, we dropped from 220 to 185 in a couple of weeks. The average grade for the class is like 65-70%. What. The. F*ck.
The right lab partner and study group can make a world of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,612,179 times
chemistry, usually organic chem along with physics are historically the "weed out courses". It is quite fascinating to compare the number of pre med majors before chem to post chem.

Like I said in an earlier post you don't have to be a genius but you have to be able to pull at least a "C" and I imagine some schools don't want anything lower than a B

Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,832,747 times
One thing that chemistry does for many students is that they do learn the real meaning of the word hate.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,161,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You are a Freshman and September isn't even over yet, but you have already decided you cannot successfully complete chemistry and that the goal of Med School is out....and now it is Finance.

Your problem is not chemistry. Your problem is a very pronounced lack of maturity and self-discipline. Maybe you should be questioning whether it is too soon for you to be in college.
The OP is about 18 years old. Few people are mature at that age. The OP is probably overwhelmed by the faster pace of college classes as opposed to high school. It's normal. Especially in science classes.

Anyway, college is a wonderful time to study different subjects. It is also just as important to find out what you DON'T want to do as it is to find out what you WANT to do.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Wait, so the only reason you're majoring in pre-med is because you were good at high school biology? Honey, that's not enough of a reason. Heck, I aced high school biology too, as well as anatomy & physiology, and passed high school chemistry, but I knew 2 semesters into a pre-veterinary major that I wasn't cut out to be a vet, doctor, nurse, or anything hospital related. I spent enough time volunteering and working in a hospital setting to realize that I lacked the proper temperament to do so.

What other reason do you have to go into pre-med? Be honest here. Have you ever worked or volunteer at a hospital, clinic, or nursing home? Do you have an intense desire to work with the sick and infirm? Are you thinking it's guaranteed six figure job? It's very early in your college career so if I was you, I would make a list of things you really want to do, based not just on what classes you passed in high school, but based on actual desire and aptitude. For now, stick with completing your gen eds-you may find your passion there.
I agree with everything you said.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I do believe I have it to be a doctor. I'm typically very relaxed and I enjoy talking to troubled people about their problems and helping them. My original major was psychology, but I was talked out of it because psychology is apparently a starving field where too many people compete for too few jobs. Also I have an aptitude for languages, which I heard is very important in a medical field.

Thing is...I have a passion, and that passion is art. I'm a creative soul who enjoys painting and drawing portraits. Unfortunately, art is a starving profession that relies heavily on luck. You can be the greatest artist in the world and nobody will buy your art, or you can be a ******* who throws paint at a wall, and be branded "an artistic genius". There really isn't much for an artist out there, unless you're gonna work at Central Park drawing caricatures of strangers for 50 cent apiece.
You are young! There are so many things you can do!

There are even ways to combine science with art:

Careers That Combine Science & Art | Chron.com

Careers That Combine Science & Art - Woman

Scientific Illustrators Combine Art & Science - Salary.com

Career Paths that Combine Both Art and Science

Combining a love of art and science - Tillamook Headlight-Herald: News

Combining Science, Technology and the Arts: A Career for the Well-rounded or the Confused | Science Careers

Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,364,101 times
^ Thank you for those links, some of the career possibilities do look pretty cool

Also, just a lesson for any of you kiddies; never sign up for lab on Monday. NEVER. Having lab on Monday is terrible, and NOT for the reasons you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities