Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM

194 posts, read 300,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
Hey everyone.

I'd like to major in economics and E-commerce. Does it make since to do so? and is the pay good when you graduate? (Bachelors Degree, BA)

I like learning about money, how to make money etc,and i also want to understand the stock market/how to invest.

Now with E-commerce, It'll help me with my desire to become an entrepreneur.

Im having a hard time deciding simply because I am a creative person as well. I love to write and I have tons of ideas, this is where my desire for a communications (digital media and journalism) degree comes in. I am afraid that majoring in just economics and e-commerce would be kind of stale for me when really I should be enjoying college and not being bored as hell.

What do you all think? What combination of these majors is best for me in the future? (select 2 of the 3)
If you are creative, 4 years of econ will have you just about ready to jump in front of a train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,189,223 times
Quote:

I'd like to major in economics and E-commerce.

am a creative person as well. I love to write and I have tons of ideas,
What do you all think?
Major in the practical things like economics and E-commerce - whatever will give you a good paying job. You can do the fun stuff on evenings and weekends.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,741,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
One of my professors always liked to say "In economics you learn how to do what finance majors learn how to talk about."
Funny. I double-majored and found that economics was more theory while finance was more the practice. Can't say one is better than the other, though.

Also, I think economics and finance are very creative, because you are taking approaches to make good business decisions. If you're not creative, it is tough to use the tools to make strategic decisions.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,519,845 times
I think a major in IS would get you more job offers in e-commerce. And would sustain your career for many years into the future (beyond your first job.)

Do this: go to indeed.com or monster.com. Do job searches using various keywords for degrees and jobs. You will see the degrees that are required for various e-commerce jobs...and see what kind of jobs are out there for IS majors, economics majors, etc. Keep count of the jobs availalable for each degree.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
You dont know what E-commerce is yet you bash it... real smart of you. You know how many business use e-commerce? lol are you even serious?

I honestly just want to make money, if i had to chose a specific field it'll be something to do with journalism or the media... something where i can be creative.
And you know what it is how? You have a lot of experience in business? Been to college? I am just wondering your experience to all of sudden be so knowledgeable about this subject.

The definition of e-commerce is (from wiki) - is a type of industry where the buying and selling of products or services is conducted over electronic systems such as the Internet and other computer networks.

E-commerce major is fluff, a marketing tool for colleges, even a few colleges (like my own UNC where I got my MBA) says it has "e-commerce", but it actually a management major. If you really want to work in this stuff, I suggest follow the following advice from other posters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think a major in IS would get you more job offers in e-commerce. And would sustain your career for many years into the future (beyond your first job.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
I wouldn't get a degree in E-commerce because it isn't a specific skill. Loosely translated it's "internet sales." HOWEVER, I think that if you're interested in E-commerce majoring in IT or computer science or MIS would be a better choice.
Creativity is found everywhere, science, engineering, statistics; heck, a person can get real creative with a database. Imagine how much creativity there is in revamping a department at a company? Creativity goes far beyond writing and drawing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities