Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,924,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Ideally you figure out a job you want to work towards and take courses to get it.

Or choose a trade school. College isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,795,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Otherwise, the other 68 out of 69 end up posting threads like this on City-Data:
Have the Degree Now Wheres the Job
Worthless diploma
Is a liberal arts education essentially worthless?
Am I wasting my time even more?
Was your degree a waste of time?
Starting to doubt what I majored in..
Gotta degree but can't land a good job? Now's your chance to speak to the media
Constantly Belittled Because of Major
Anyone else being told your degree is useless?
Liberal arts degrees.... and now this??
Is a liberal arts education essentially worthless?
To current and future graduating Liberal Arts majors
Suing your college for not finding a job
Useless Degrees and Why People Pursue Them
Worthless Degrees
With the economy the way it is, why do people major in the liberal arts?
Rethinking major ...job prospects
If you are going to do liberal arts..you had better think twice!!
Useless Degrees and Why People Pursue Them
1) Posted about a STEM major having trouble finding work
2) Posted about a STEM academy
3) Posted by a liberal arts major concerned about what others say about their major
4) Posted about a STEM major reconsidering their major
5) Posted about college degrees in general with no major specified
6) Posted by someone who regretted not getting an English degree because of the opportunities for one
7) Someone trolling for stories for an article
8) Posted by a double liberal arts major annoyed with people saying they will not find a job
9) Posted by a liberal arts major annoyed with people saying they will not find a job
10) Posted about poor job prospects for generic STEM majors
11) Posted by a liberal arts major concerned about what others say about their major
12) Posted by a liberal arts major (who has a job) annoyed with people saying they will not find a job
13) Posted about college degrees in general with no major specified
14) Posted by a STEM major calling liberal arts degrees useless
15) Post of an article mocking liberal arts degrees
16) Post by a STEM major wondering why people bother majoring in liberal arts
17) Post by a STEM major reconsidering their major
18) Post by a STEM major calling liberals arts degrees useless
19) Posted by a STEM major calling liberal arts degrees useless
None of these posts were by liberal arts majors who cannot find jobs.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,729,952 times
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't major in English - or history - or sociology - or any other softology that won't get you a job.
You can get a job in those fields but you usually need a masters degree or PhD. I doubt there are any Archeologists, Museum Curators (History) that have just a bachelors.

English might be the exception. Lots of English majors end up as paralegals, journalists or writing proposals for large companies and I dont think you necessarily need a masters for those jobs.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:56 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,772,796 times
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't major in English - or history - or sociology - or any other softology that won't get you a job.
You could major in English for a writing job.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM

45,805 posts, read 61,217,271 times
Whatever you do don't choose a major you can't stand/don't like just because it offers a high salary. Even if you finish the degree you most likely won't ever work in that field.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,708,172 times
College should prepare you to earn a substantial living. You must get on the road and talk to people that are in the real world to find the answer as to what activity would generate a substantial living. The guide books and the school representatives are clueless or just wrong or incorrect or not current. You can always follow an interest (hobby) as you go through life through more cost effective sources. Beware that there are fields of study that are now flooded with new grads looking for jobs. You will only discover this information by speaking to multiple people in the work field outside of the academic or government areas.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Check out the "What Color is your Parachute" book. Might give you some insight.
I have that book on my computer now. It didn't seem to help but it was a good read.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Or choose a trade school. College isn't for everyone.
True, but I would at least like a 4 year degree in something. I would be the first in my family to have one.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM

Is their any careers for someone who like nature, gardening, computers, internet, videogames, and tech? I am introverted and being around alot of people isn't really my cup of tea. That's why I choose mostly solo interests.

I was thinking about truck driving also. Still need to learn how to drive though. Also can you be reserved and work in healthcare? Something working with babies?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:10 PM

16 posts, read 31,983 times
There are two paths at the time of choosing a career: pursue a career based on what really is your passion, that activity where you can spend hours and hours and you don't mind at all; the second one would be where you are really good, your knowledge, skills and abilities; for instance if you are really good at mathematics, etc., look into those careers that are in high demand like actuary for example, or if you like numbers and teaching, well you know, etc.

Another thing to do is forget about the titles. Make a list of what duties or things would you like to perform at your workplace. Many people pursue engineering degrees and unfortunately, in most cases, most of the jobs in that field you will spend your time in a cube or office, pushing papers, building power point presentations and spending most of your day in meetings (I'm an engineer :s), and probably you will invest a short period of your time doing what you learned in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities