Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,305 times

Advertisements

So basically I'm 23 now, but I turn the ripe, old, sleazy age of 24 in August. I don't, however, feel much different than when I was 20 or 21, and so many of the friends whom I have met recently at my college are around that more "traditional" college age range. I just find that most people I've come across in their mid 20's are ready to settle down with a committed relationship with a serious "adult" life and die, which really just isn't my mindset, so I find it increasingly hard to relate to people my age and older.

I do take my education very seriously with a focus and ambition towards a great career. I still do, however, find that I get along better with people who are younger than me, as opposed to other people in their mid 20's. In my downtime, I tent to spend a lot of time hanging out with a lot of 18-22 year olds because the people I met just seem really awesome and don't seem to mind or even care about the age gap.

It's just most people in my classes are younger than me, so naturally, I tend to mingle and befriend them, and I find that I have a lot in common with them as well. The instructors are always encouraging us socialize/network with one another, but I'm wondering if this advise is also meant to apply to me?

Is anyone else still an undergrad at my age(very late start) and still feel this way. I never ASKED to turn 24, and I don't see why I'm expected to hang around other boring "mature students" just because that is what society would expect, and that I just happened to be on this earth for 24 years...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you have to walk around with a sign around your neck advertising your age.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
You get along with younger people because you have something in common with them.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM

176 posts, read 299,772 times
If you are the smartest person in the room then you are in the wrong room.
Always stick with people who are smarter than you so you can make progress.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,305 times
It's not so much a factor of intelligence, but rather how I relate to a certain age group more so than my own. It's not like a go out and party every night and come to class the next morning hungover like some idiot(the people I have met are not like that either). I am responsible with my education, but I just find that the slightly younger people who I meet are more interesting and lively than many of my same-age friends who seem to be bringing about this "i'm gettin' old and it's time to wind down" attitude, which is just depressing and getting on my nerves.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:59 AM

176 posts, read 299,772 times
I am pretty much your age and I made many mistakes before regarding to the type of people I used to hang out with.
I realized that you become who you drink your coffee with so better play with the superstars.

On my first two years of college I hanged around people younger than me who didn't have a goal in their life witch reflected badly on my grades and personal development. Then I decided I need to change !

If you want to be rich, walk with rich people.
If you want to be smart, walk with smarter people than you.
If you want to become nice, walk with nice and friendly people.
and the list goes on and on................................................ .

There is a saying that says something similar to this: If you wanna know your son, look at his friends !!!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
"Society" puts 21 year olds and 24 years olds in the same group of young adults. You seem to be suffering from some manufactured crisis.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,422 times
I'm 24 and turn 25 in july, still in school (took a few years off to pursue playing a sport professionally). I find that the 18 year olds in my classes are noticeably immature. IT's not their fault, there just is a big difference between 25 and 18, I'm a much different person now then I was back then. The 18 year olds are still chill to a certain degree, but they are also more caught up in fitting in, being cool, not caring about their grades, etc. They are just young, you can tell.

That said, I'm not even close to settling down, I feel that I am just starting up actually, I'm only now starting to think about where I want my life to go, what I want to do for work, where I want to live, etc. I have only had a couple friends get married, and I see that as freakish and a horrible idea.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM

82 posts, read 267,891 times
I'm in school and I have more in common with traditional aged college students than people my own age. I'm 26 by the way.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
OP, I know it seems like you're the old man on campus but I can almost guarantee someone will be older then you. I doubt anyone would care enough that you are 24, probably wouldn't care if you were 44. Plus they don't know your back story so you can tell them what you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities