Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM

171 posts, read 166,660 times

Advertisements

Long story short, went to a university for 2 years and ended up with 51 credits, didn't continue cause of reasons, though I transferred to a community college a while ago (never enrolled in classes for reasons.)

38 classes transferred, and I'll need 22 credits to finish an AA degree. Not really feeling good about being trapped in another year of school, but would an AA do anything to make me more employable? I'm basically just out to find any old job that pays enough for me to support myself. (No passions or aspirations related to specific jobs like a lot of people do.)

If it wouldn't make me more likely to get a job, then I probably won't bother. Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM

22,779 posts, read 48,062,709 times
AA in what?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
AA in what?
Associate of Arts, exactly what it sounds like. This https://public.delta.edu/catalog/Pag...ProgramID=2981

Sorry, I thought everyone knew what just an AA without a labelled major with it was.

I know it's basically useless on its own, but it's the only degree that I have courses already that would take the shortest time to complete; and I'm worried my 2 years of college with no degree will look bad on resumes.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:05 AM

22,779 posts, read 48,062,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post

Sorry, I thought everyone knew what just an AA without a labelled major with it was.
At our CC, you gat an AA in biology, in computer technology, in accounting, etc. They all are 'in' something.
I thought that was how all community colleges are!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,725,824 times
If you're going to have to take 22 credits it might be worth identifying a concentration that prepares you for something, either something vocational or something that builds toward a bachelor's degree in the future. Otherwise your A.A. might look more like a certificate of attendance.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,426,961 times
Without a specialization in something, I can't imagine it's worth anything. Why not go to CC at night for a couple more years and turn it into a bachelor's degree in an area that is really employable?

No reason to let the work you already did go to waste. Just so you know, most people don't have a passion for what they do- the bills have to get paid somehow. I went into accounting in college not because I really really wanted to be an accountant, but only because of all the business classes, it was the one that I found "easiest" (which is just another way of saying that it matched my personality best).

Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM

847 posts, read 1,463,607 times
You may as well continue at this point. You could finish your AA and then transfer to a 4-year for a bachelor's degree.

From what I have seen, having 2 or more years of college without a degree on your resume could indeed harm you. It is not a big deal if you are a traditional, full-time student that is simply seeking part-time work. However, if you left school a while ago and are seeking full-time work, then you will probably get drilled by recruiters and hiring managers. Some employers may even shy away because they will assume, mistakenly in some cases, that you do not finish what you start.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Getting a bachelor degree isn't an option for me. It's just not. Like I said, reasons, though that would change the subject of this tread if I posted them. But I guess I'll wait to see if I get trouble by not finishing and take it from there.

My question has been answered, thank you all.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:16 PM

12,127 posts, read 23,433,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
At our CC, you gat an AA in biology, in computer technology, in accounting, etc. They all are 'in' something.
I thought that was how all community colleges are!

No kidding. It looks like that one is just a way to cover Gen Eds before transferring to a 4 year school.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,409,828 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities