Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:42 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,621,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
Long story short, went to a university for 2 years and ended up with 51 credits, didn't continue cause of reasons, though I transferred to a community college a while ago (never enrolled in classes for reasons.)

38 classes transferred, and I'll need 22 credits to finish an AA degree. Not really feeling good about being trapped in another year of school, but would an AA do anything to make me more employable? I'm basically just out to find any old job that pays enough for me to support myself. (No passions or aspirations related to specific jobs like a lot of people do.)

If it wouldn't make me more likely to get a job, then I probably won't bother. Thank you for reading.
Explore completing your degree at a four year college. 51 college credits are quite a bit, and too much to throw away and not complete.

Just skip the associates and get a bachelors. You will need one.

You may find your passion in the pursuit of your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:58 AM

10,076 posts, read 7,281,846 times
The AA you linked to is designed to cover your gen ed at university. It's a degree meant to transfer, designed based on the articulation agreement between the CC and universities it works with, in this case, Michigan state universities. It's not training for any specific job. Most CC's have this option; it's specifically for people who intend to transfer. The articulation agreements ensure that students with this AA do not have to take Gen Ed classes again at universities. These degrees are designed to fix a problem where universities would screw over students by saying they didn't accept X # of 100 and 200 level credits from CCs and students had to re-take classes at their more expensive tuition rates.

Getting this AA would probably have a minimal impact on your job search, but it would validate the work you've done so far. It would also be an advantage if you change your mind a few years down the road and decide to return to college. If you quit now, you've got nothing to show for your college work up to this point.

The go/no go for your decision depends on your opportunity costs. What are you going to give up by spending 1 year getting 24 more credits? Only you can assess that.

My personal opinion is that any degree is better than no degree. If it comes down to your application vs. someone that DID finish an AA, you will lose that competition. You might have to answer in interviews why you did not finish what you started. For a lot of jobs, even "any old job," a degree is not really necessary, but it has become de facto necessary because all your competition has one.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-19-2016 at 02:08 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 AM
PYT

122 posts, read 291,023 times
I would do as much of it as you can. Maybe a semester full time, then complete the rest through weekends/online classes.

Yes, you can succeed without an AA/BS and getting the degree wouldn't change your working opportunities too much. Nevertheless, it's much better to have that piece of paper and it shouldn't be too hard finishing the rest of it.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM

30,680 posts, read 16,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No kidding. It looks like that one is just a way to cover Gen Eds before transferring to a 4 year school.
not at all. It can be of course but it's quite possible an associates degree can get you a decent paying job, if it's in the right field.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:08 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,576,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Without a specialization in something, I can't imagine it's worth anything. Why not go to CC at night for a couple more years and turn it into a bachelor's degree in an area that is really employable?

No reason to let the work you already did go to waste. Just so you know, most people don't have a passion for what they do- the bills have to get paid somehow. I went into accounting in college not because I really really wanted to be an accountant, but only because of all the business classes, it was the one that I found "easiest" (which is just another way of saying that it matched my personality best).
You and I are kindred souls. Majored in accounting because I didnt know what else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities