Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 AM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Lawyers and doctors also take years of training before making big money as well then they have student loans to pay off. What's the difference?
The average cardiac surgeon makes $360,000 a year.

That is the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I spent my whole working life with wrenches in my hands. Never went to college.
I finished my working career with a "diploma" from National Technical Schools stating that I "graduated" from their Master Automotive & Diesel Correspondence course (paid for by the Veterans Administration). It didn't mean much, but it helped me get my first job as a mechanic!
I ended up with an A&P license, and factory certifications from Briggs & Stratton engines, Kohler 4 stroke cycle engines, Tecumseh engines, and Peerless transmissions.
Yes, you CAN make a good living without a BS or BA. Yes, some employers do require a college degree. It might be a BA in Underwater Basket Weaving, but hey, it's a College Degree! That is all they care about, that piece of parchment.
Actually, no. Grads need special skills today to get good jobs. As another poster pointed out, plenty of grads are working for Starbucks.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Actually, no. Grads need special skills today to get good jobs. As another poster pointed out, plenty of grads are working for Starbucks.

Actually, in some cases, yes! I know a young man who worked hard, joined the National Guard for college money, and graduated with a BA in Commercial Art (or some similar thing, not sure). The degree helped in his quest to become an officer in the Guard, even though it has absolutely no relationship to any Guard job. His full time work is in Law Enforcement, another field totally unrelated to Art of any kind.
So, did the BA degree help him in his chosen careers? Somewhat, yes. Did they help in his work? Not much, no.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
I think he is good at math. He has been watching Calculus videos on YouTube on his own.
Bingo! This is exactly the kind of thing I was suggesting another OP poster look for in his son, when he posted a topic (concurrent with this one), about how to foster career interest in his 13-yr-old, or what direction to encourage him to take. Know your kid, and follow his/her own cues. See what they're spending their time on. Go from there.

I think you have yourself a Smart Kid, OP. Lucky you! Since he loves math, he may enjoy the business side of the trades. It would be a good way to capitalize on his multi-potentiality. And who knows; he might discover after doing a plumbing apprenticeship, that he's not as into the physical, down-and-dirty aspect of the field, and might decide to go more into the business direction. Or he might end up in IT, if he likes to be challenged.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The average cardiac surgeon makes $360,000 a year.

That is the difference.
Let's be real. The average med student is not going to be a cardiac surgeon. Let's bring it down a notch. The average pediatric doctor makes $170,500. Let's subtract the hundred thousand in student loans. Now let's compare. The difference is not huge especially if he gets into management or ownership.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Let's be real. The average med student is not going to be a cardiac surgeon. Let's bring it down a notch. The average pediatric doctor makes $170,500. Let's subtract the hundred thousand in student loans. Now let's compare. The difference is not huge especially if he gets into management or ownership.
Someone who scores a 1500 on the SAT probably has a decent shot at becoming a cardiac surgeon down the road though.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
But is someone who is easy going and wants to be a plumber going to become a cardiac surgeon? WIll more than a handful of academically gifted students become a cardiac surgeon? I went to an academic high school and finished 11th in a class of about 350, surrounded by National Merit and Westinghouse scholars, and only one member of the class became a surgeon. The smartest kid in the whole school, who got a scholarship to MIT at the age of 16, is presently serving time in a federal prison for fraud. When my kids were in high school, people asked me what my ambition was for my children. I truthfully answered that my only ambition for them was was for them to stay out of prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Someone who scores a 1500 on the SAT probably has a decent shot at becoming a cardiac surgeon down the road though.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:12 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
It’s not just the plumber, or the electrician, or the welder, although some people are fine just working for others, but there’s the guy who owns the Plumbing, Electrical or welding company. Your son could get trained in a trade, and then go on to get a business degree if he wanted.

For example, there are plenty of HVAC companies around here, but the one that does the most business is run by a businessman who knows how to make a profit and how to keep the customer pipeline full. He doesn’t do the work himself, but he understands it, and he understands his employees jobs.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:21 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It’s not just the plumber, or the electrician, or the welder, although some people are fine just working for others, but there’s the guy who owns the Plumbing, Electrical or welding company. Your son could get trained in a trade, and then go on to get a business degree if he wanted.

For example, there are plenty of HVAC companies around here, but the one that does the most business is run by a businessman who knows how to make a profit and how to keep the customer pipeline full. He doesn’t do the work himself, but he understands it, and he understands his employees jobs.
Not everybody needs to go to get a business degree to have a business of their own. If he's smart or knows somebody he can get a mentor and start his business.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 PM

224 posts, read 298,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
No snark: Did you go to a 4 year college?

Anyway....Practice SATs (along with "practice" PSATs, ACTs, GREs, MCATs, etc, with the self-scoring) in my experience, just never seems to equate to a "real" test score, after one takes the "real" test in the "real" test setting.

Why is he watching calc classes online? Has he yet to take a calc class?

No, there is nothing wrong with being a plumber.

Would it be a good thing for him to attend a community college and explore his possibilities? Of course it would. At the very least, if there aren't any trade/vo-tech schools in your area.

I don't know of one successful (given the definition of "successful" & in the state I live in) plumber, electrician, "trade person", who doesn't have others working FOR them.

Being "happy" to work a physical job wears off. No one is 18-35 years old forever & one good injury can end someone's physical career in a second.
Yes, I did go to college. I have a B.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities