Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

For-profit schools would barely exist if so-called conventional schools weren't so busy ignoring a large segment of the population. There is a broader social need for education than the non-profits are willing to fill. And until they are, for-profits will do it instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
The only merit I see in for-profit schools is the fact that they've spurred reputable schools to expand their offerings, so that a segment of the population heavily targeted by University of Phoenix and the like can actually get a degree that's worth something via a distance/night program from a more legitimate institution.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The only merit I see in for-profit schools is the fact that they've spurred reputable schools to expand their offerings, so that a segment of the population heavily targeted by University of Phoenix and the like can actually get a degree that's worth something via a distance/night program from a more legitimate institution.
For all their faults, for-profit schools have indeed spurred innovation in education. "Reputable schools offer online classes too" people like to say. Yeah -- only after for-profit schools led the way. And traditional schools are still way behind the curve in terms of how much of their program content is available online. The online learning platform developed by CEC is state-of-the-art and fully customizable by the student to suit his/her own preferred learning style. Meanwhile, some of the most renowned tech schools in the world such as University of Illinois are still using Blackboard as their online platform. That's embarrassing.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For-profit schools would barely exist if so-called conventional schools weren't so busy ignoring a large segment of the population. There is a broader social need for education than the non-profits are willing to fill. And until they are, for-profits will do it instead.
With the shady recruiting and the uselessness of the degree for these schools I'm not so sure. It appears the bill will pass shortly that will all but cripple theses schools with lack of grant money for students.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
NO - Please stay away from these places!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
With the shady recruiting and the uselessness of the degree for these schools I'm not so sure. It appears the bill will pass shortly that will all but cripple theses schools with lack of grant money for students.
What I find interesting is that the bill in question applies to for-profit schools only and ignores the fact that there a whole slew of lower-tier government-run schools churning out students with questionable academic credentials. If the federal government is going to be in the school loan business, then it ought to give equal scrutiny to all of the institutions that rely on its largesse for their survival.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What I find interesting is that the bill in question applies to for-profit schools only and ignores the fact that there a whole slew of lower-tier government-run schools churning out students with questionable academic credentials. If the federal government is going to be in the school loan business, then it ought to give equal scrutiny to all of the institutions that rely on its largesse for their survival.
Me too. There are some FOUR year state run universities in the Chicago area I could never recommend to anyone. Most of the community colleges in the Chicago are are better then they are. (though the Chicago area has several very good community colleges).

I do know someone in one of these schools master of education program . I think she is wasting her time (the school district she works for is paying for it!!!ugh!!) as the program is terrible. She has told me stories about it, and how unprofessional they are. I highly doubt a degree from that university is worth all that much to anybody.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Me too. There are some FOUR year state run universities in the Chicago area I could never recommend to anyone. Most of the community colleges in the Chicago are are better then they are. (though the Chicago area has several very good community colleges).

I do know someone in one of these schools master of education program . I think she is wasting her time (the school district she works for is paying for it!!!ugh!!) as the program is terrible. She has told me stories about it, and how unprofessional they are. I highly doubt a degree from that university is worth all that much to anybody.
Chicago State readily comes to mind regarding your first paragraph. They have, what, a 2% graduation rate? That school is a disgrace to the Illinois university system. They make University of Phoenix look like Yale.

And yeah, school systems often pay their teachers and administrators according to what kind of degree they have without any regard to where it's from. So someone with an M.Ed from University of For-Profit Degree Mill gets paid the exact same amount as someone else with the same position and same number of service years but has an M.Ed from U of I. That's dumb.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,461 times
Chicago State is the school my friend is getting her masters from. It is one bad school. The "professors" ditch classes. Yes, they sat there waiting for the prof, who didn't show, happened more then once. It took her longer to finish because they lost their accreditation for the program for a semester or two. I think they are on probation of some kind.

All you hear about them in the news is about the financial problems, scandals and such. They are doing a great disservice to their students.

I really don't know why this school even needs to exist. Its not like there isn't City Colleges, including a branch only a few blocks away. They should close it down, to be honest. Northeastern Illinois is pretty bad too.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Yeah there are City Colleges, but they're 2-year schools whereas Chicago State and NEIU are 4-year schools with a handful of grad programs too. And while NEIU may not have exceedingly high academic standards, at least they take their mission seriously. The same can't be said of Chicago State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities