Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:00 AM

409 posts, read 704,328 times

Advertisements

I just looked through the D20 website. Aspen Valley middle is the only middle without band, but I think they're alternative, or some such. The others all have band, both Eagleview and DCC have orchestra.

Sonic, you've got to update your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM

97 posts, read 193,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I just looked through the D20 website. Aspen Valley middle is the only middle without band, but I think they're alternative, or some such. The others all have band, both Eagleview and DCC have orchestra.

Sonic, you've got to update your information!

Very good to know!
Do you happen to know which middle school The da Vinci Academy elementary feeds into?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcar12 View Post
Very good to know!
Do you happen to know which middle school The da Vinci Academy elementary feeds into?
That feeds into Discovery Canyon Middle/High School up on North Gate Blvd in the Flying Horse area. Here's one of our existing threads on DCC if you care to read it.

That area is also near The Classical Academy, which is a large charter school. TCA does not have open enrollment or school choice, but uses a wait list process to accept students. Here's one of our existing threads on TCA if you care to read about it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-08-2015 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
What he said, into DCC.

We picked this area because DCC is an IB school and has specific science and aeronautics programs. My kids are very science oriented, so I'm glad they're getting the arts focus now, at least.

I think da Vinci usually has a bit of room for school choice, at least in the beginning of the year. By the middle, all bets are off.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Hey, hey, man that is cool!

I'll stop talkin' smack about D20's lack of music! In all fairness it has been a few years, and once we settled we didn't look back. I'm super glad they've expanded the programs into more schools.

And starting in 3rd grade!! If we'd lived here then, I would have moved heaven and earth to get them in that young. We had to wait until 5th with my older son, and 6th with my younger. But they are doing well anways. My 7th grader is practicing his tail end off for Solo & Ensemble coming up later this month.

Another reason I use music and arts programs to gauge quality in public schools, even over test scores, is that when a school is struggling financially those are usually among the first things to get cut. And I would rather have a kid who has something at school to be passionate about, something making him WANT to go every day, than one who gets super perfect test scores but isn't really happy. Gotta strike a good balance there.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 PM

13 posts, read 14,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Whoops, I apologize for assuming that you aren't the husband in the pair. You know what they say about the word "assume," it makes a mule out of you and me. My previous post nailed me as the "me" in that equation.

Getting back to your plan to move to Colorado Springs, I'm glad you're liking the prospect. It's a good town and I personally love living here. I'm happy to see a Denverite take our city seriously and explore the option of living here. Denver is great but I find COS much more of a liveable city. It's a big ol' small town that is only just realizing it's a real city. Some people call that backwards. I call it home.
haha, no need to apologize Littlekw! The informative replies from yourself, Sonic_Spork, and all the others have given us great material to reference. & yes, I can think of several ways in which CS seems more liveable than Denver- that makes total sense to me!

Good music programs, especially those which include band and orchestra starting before high school, are not taken for granted by myself. This is not offered everywhere. I totally agree with you Sonic_Spork; I would judge a school based on the quality of music as much as SAT10 scoring. It's a huge part of education, not only by developing creativity, relating to math, and expanding one's knowledge of history, but also by establishing a lasting appreciation, hobby, possible career, and deep passion for many of us. I don't really know how to put it- it's music! What can I say?? Additionally, I feel support from parents and quality of teachers are at least as important as testing scores in a kid's education, and by a quality teacher, I mean one who cares (again, not necessarily who is turning out the best scores).
It's great to observe public education offering so much; I would consider myself an advocate (at least in attitude and by choosing to enroll my kids).
All of the info on districts and music programs is great. We will most likely also rent for a school district once we arrive, and because we are willing to do an apt for the first year, our options should remain somewhat open.

Most of our other questions will be answered once we get back to Colorado this summer or by poking around online. I may post another thread asking about alpine skiing near town or other such arcane inquiries..

Mainly I just wanted to say, thanks again every1!! I thought posting here would be a good idea, and it was!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Bronx View Post
I may post another thread asking about alpine skiing near town or other such arcane inquiries..
No need to start another thread on alpine skiing near Colorado Springs, myself and others are more than happy to chime in on this subject.

There aren't many options near town. For alpine skiing your closest options are Breckenridge or Monarch. They're both about a two hour drive from the Springs. Not very close but they make for a fun day trip or weekend escape. Honestly, I love waking up before the crack of dawn and putting in a solid day of skiing at Monarch before coming home to Colorado Springs. If you don't want to make the drive yourself, one of the local radio stations teams up with a local ski store and offers great rates on transportation and lift tickets. KILO’s 2014 SNOW BUS | 94.3 KILO These snow buses sell out fast but they're a lot of fun and very family-friendly. If that's not your idea of fun, Breckenridge and the resorts of Summit County make for a great ski trip as well.

In the warmer months you'll love all the hiking, biking and other outdoor pursuits that are at Colorado Springs' doorstep. There is no end to outdoor recreation in the area. The city is also so family oriented that it's almost impossible to ever be bored. Culturally it may be lacking but it's a short trip to Denver to fill any large museum/ art show/ music needs.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:32 AM

Wow, I just pulled that up- thanks for the link. 52 bux for the ticket and a r/t bus ride to Monarch- nice! You have to be at least 18, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional 'Daddy Day'.. sounds incredibly fun.
I won't let the fact that I haven't been skiing for over 10 years stop me!!
by alpine I meant x-country- was hoping maybe there were some trails nearer to town that are used for hiking during the summer & then designated for that in winter. I bet some folks just go around town from their door in the right conditions.
But skiing or boarding up in Monarch sounds great. They say it's a friendlier, less expensive alternative to the Vails, etc. plus it looks like lots of bowl/ back country terrain (which i wont at all be in shape for). haven't been there yet
Growing up in Denver, I usually went to Breckenridge and Winter Park. I even remember Hidden Valley from when I was a little kid. that was very cool.

I'm going to love all the bike paths there- one thing I also liked about Denver. Spend a whole day slicing through the city while avoiding roads.
Plenty of hiking right there, no need to drive over an hour to Mt. Evans or Gray's from Denver. & in the winter, Pike's also offers snow climbing. An axe and crampons are affordable, just like a pair of cross-country skis. It's really unique, the Springs, being that size of city and offering so much outdoor rec right at its edge. With GoG & RRCOS right there?!? can't believe I'm a colo native and didn't get into climbing earlier, but it's never too late. it's just that nagging fear of heights to overcome =)

Old 02-11-2015, 07:09 AM

Littlekw, now I must apologize.
Alpine skiing is, in fact, downhill skiing.
I had to look it up when i was thinking about my reply to you.
Nordic skiing is what I should have said.
However, I'm glad I made that mistake, as now I have that KILO bus to Monarch link!
I know we used to have KILO in Denver, but I forgot exactly when and if it was out of boulder then?? IDK! i just remember that and a quick google didn't yield any history of the station beyond the wiki blurb.

so, you can tell I've been away from the mountains for awhile! sorry

Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 AM

I suppose for nordic, I will have to just get there and go into a local ski shop. It's frustrating trying to look it up online- where specific trails might be that are closer to town. Again, with the right conditions, some of the local walking trails in town might even work, just as they should using snow shoes, but designated ones are best.
It's nice to have the wide, easy trails for beginners like myself. I was always freaked out when I would see a person on cross country skis up at the resorts doing as well as anyone on downhills.
They kind of squat with one leg going across, and then that intricate jump-turn maneuver.. crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs