Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 PM

5,855 posts, read 4,186,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Correct. It becomes "a lifestyle".
Again, that doesn't clarify the grammar issue. A surgeon's lifestyle revolves around his job, but we don't say "He is doctor."

I think this is grammatically incorrect and is simply widely misused.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Again, that doesn't clarify the grammar issue. A surgeon's lifestyle revolves around his job, but we don't say "He is doctor."

I think this is grammatically incorrect and is simply widely misused.
You don't get it because you haven't served. If a doctor is late for work one day, his employer doesn't restrict him to the hospital for 3 months, cut his pay in half for 3 months, and make him repeat a year of training.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
You don't get it because you haven't served. If a doctor is late for work one day, his employer doesn't restrict him to the hospital for 3 months, cut his pay in half for 3 months, and make him repeat a year of training.
I'm not comparing the duties of the two jobs. My point is that the seriousness of the duty or the commitment have nothing to do with the grammar question I am asking. "He is military," doesn't mean anything different then "He is in the military" in terms of seriousness. It's a grammar question, nothing more.

The fact that a job is very serious doesn't imply that we no longer use prepositions.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
I'm not comparing the duties of the two jobs. My point is that the seriousness of the duty or the commitment have nothing to do with the grammar question I am asking. "He is military," doesn't mean anything different then "He is in the military" in terms of seriousness. It's a grammar question, nothing more.

The fact that a job is very serious doesn't imply that we no longer use prepositions.
English is a flexible language. Clearly "military" in the first sentence is being used as an adjective, and there's nothing grammatically wrong with that.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
English is a flexible language. Clearly "military" in the first sentence is being used as an adjective, and there's nothing grammatically wrong with that.
I think there is something wrong with it because that doesn't actually fit with how it is being used. We aren't trying to say someone is a military type of person or generally describe a person as being "military." Rather, we are saying that the person is a member of the military, which is a totally different thing.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I think there is something wrong with it because that doesn't actually fit with how it is being used. We aren't trying to say someone is a military type of person or generally describe a person as being "military." Rather, we are saying that the person is a member of the military, which is a totally different thing.
I'll agree to disagree there. I think we actually are trying to "generally describe a person as being 'military'".

Last edited by otowi; 08-15-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'll agree to disagree there. I think we actually are trying to "generally describe a person as being 'military'", because the implication is that it is more than just a job or being a member of something.
Would you ever say "He's military" in reference to a person who wasn't a member of the military? When a restaurant asks me "Are you military?" are they asking me about my personal qualities or whether I am a member of the military?

These phrases are almost always used to identify someone as being a member of the military. I understand the possibility of saying "He's a military man" or "He's so military" when referring to a person's traits, such as dedication and hard work that was formed during military service. But that isn't normally what we're trying to say in these conversations.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 08-15-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Thumbs up, Otowi ... I agree.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Would you ever say "He's military" in reference to a person who wasn't a member of the military? When a restaurant asks me "Are you military?" are they asking me about my personal qualities or whether I am a member of the military?

These phrases are almost always used to identify someone as being a member of the military. I understand the possibility of saying "He's a military man" or "He's so military" when referring to a person's traits, such as dedication and hard work that was formed during military service. But that isn't normally what we're trying to say in these conversations.
We have a word for that: We say "He's militaristic" when referring to traits. We use "He's military" to mean someone has the quality of "being military" which in this context means one is in the military, or perhaps, one's family is. One could also say "He's in the military" but it is not the only way to say that that is grammatically correct. Saying "He's military" is also grammatically correct and there is nothing wrong with it. If you prefer one way, that's fine, but the other way is not incorrect.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:18 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,889,641 times
Quote:
I'll agree to disagree there. I think we actually are trying to "generally describe a person as being 'military'".
Otowi, I completely agree. You say potayto... I say whatever. I can't see this being a grammatical issue whatsoever. An issue of perceptional interpretation perhaps. Grammatical, no. Now, excuse me while I go to "hospital" on the way to "university".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs