Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well okay, what else would draw an out-of-stater to spend time vacationing in Colorado Springs?
Having lived here 15+ years (probably with another 20 or so to go, as my particular career does not travel well once established in a given place) I'd respond that basically nothing including the Cog Railroad would or should draw an out-of-stater to vacation here. I understand however that tens of thousands of folks do in fact come here to vacation, I'm guessing drawn by the desire to briefly escape the oppressive humidity of summers most anywhere east of here, along with the generally picturesque views, the touristy little town of Manitou, their local family members, and various/sundry other random events they may find interesting (Pikes Peak Hill Climb; Pikes Peak Marathon/Ascent; Broadmoor golf events; etc.). My wife's Minnesota friends who now live in California were ALL GUNG HO about visiting Focus on the Family headquarters. We were both bewildered and cordial ... like "uh ... oh ... kay ... have fun up there!"

IMHO CO Springs is not especially worth visiting (sorry Visitor Center folks who I know and like) but it IS a high-quality-of-life option as a place to LIVE, even with it's shortcomings and frustrating one-party system corruption, relative to so many other urban/rural options. Big enough to have a functional economy for almost all professionals. Small enough to have a 12-15 minute daily commute if you want one. Big enough to have quality schools and extra-curricular activity options for kids, if you look hard enough. Small enough to not have Denver or LA style housing costs and traffic congestion. As much as it leaves to be desired, I have to grudgingly admit most other places (both in CO and the US) are either too insanely expensive and congested or too remote and/or decaying. There's a small handful of mid-size cities that strike an imperfect but decent balance and (grumble/begrudgingly) CO Springs is probably one of ten or less such cities that are remain both lovely and livable, if imperfect.

Visit here as a tourist destination? I can't even imagine, but I understand that people do and far be it from me to denigrate them. Me, I'll head to a place with a thriving arts/culture scene like Santa Fe or Taos, but I guess we all sometimes need to get away from "here" wherever that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Visit here as a tourist destination? I can't even imagine, but I understand that people do and far be it from me to denigrate them. Me, I'll head to a place with a thriving arts/culture scene like Santa Fe or Taos, but I guess we all sometimes need to get away from "here" wherever that may be.
Fortunately for us, not everyone shares your opinion on this as a visitor's destination, but, I'll also conceed that when planning a family vacation, we probably are not foremost in most people's minds. However, once people do come here for a non-vacation reason, be it the AFA, Olympic training, either of the Pikes Peak races, or military service, and they see the range of items we do have easy access to, then they may decide to make it a point to visit. In all honesty, the Colorado marketing machine means, as a state, we are never too far away from some people vacation thoughts.

As I have been pointing out somewhat obtusely is that there is no one single uniquely Colorado Springs thing here that would attract people as a distinctly Colorado Springs experience. Everything we have here can be found somewhere else, even the cog railway. However, when taken as a whole, the uniqueness of the Pikes Peak region, both from the naturalist perspective pointed out by otowi, and the man made items to mesh with and sometimes capitalize on the natural environment, means that we have a very broad range of items, attractions, and things to do that can meet a broad range of activities that a family may want to experience. Hiking a 14teener, driving a 14teener, river rafting, caving, hiking, biking, brew tours, military tours, world class athletics, sunshine, clear skys and clean air, mountain side zoo, variety of museums, Victorian and Edwardian architecture, wild west towns, historic labor wars, plains and prairies and deserts, wildlife, mountain towns, natural experiences, radical zip lines, historic trains, a world class resort, a military academy, military bases, a top rated liberal arts college, a growing research university, golfing, sports, its a long list. The variety of items you can do within the region, that makes this a high quality of life place to live, means it can also be an attractive place to spend vacation dollars.

But I'm with you on sometimes needing a "there" to get away from "here" to feel like a bonafide vacation. The fact you can have staycations in between those big trips without going far from home is what is uniquely Colorado Springs, not any one single thing.

Last edited by TCHP; 05-15-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
Colorado Springs is in Colorado. Yes, duh. This is to say that going to Colorado, going "out west", has always been a "thing", to use current terminology. Or even an old phrase, "go West, young man". For many, there has always been a pull to go to certain places if you didn't live in those certain places. Colorado, California, Alaska ... and etc. if there are any etceteras.

As someone from New England, coming west to Colorado stemmed from a strong pull to do so. The west, the Rockies and what that word conjured; to me Colorado held a mystique.

So I don't necessarily think people coming to here to vacation are coming to Colorado Springs, they're coming to Colorado, and that's the big deal, the unique, the Rocky Mountains and the wide open spaces and everything else that's wonderful about this beautiful state. Some of it is here were we live, but a lot of it is elsewhere in the state, which visitors may or may not explore. But in Colorado Springs, they do get a taste of the west, and the mountains and the plains ... and mostly that's enough, and mostly that's the attraction.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Cog Railway owner, Manitou Springs officials considering $75 million to $95 million plan to reopen the tourist attraction

Cog Railway owner, Manitou Springs officials considering $75 million to $95 million plan to reopen the tourist attraction | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM

In preliminary vote, Manitou Springs council unanimously approves deal to rebuild Cog Railway

In preliminary vote, Manitou Springs council unanimously approves deal to rebuild Cog Railway | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"The Manitou Springs City Council gave a unanimous preliminary vote of approval Tuesday night for a deal that would enable the rebuilding of the historic Cog Railway and keep its train cars chugging up and down Pikes Peak for decades to come.

Another vote still must be taken on the agreement with Oklahoma Publishing Co., parent company of The Broadmoor hotel and the Cog Railway.

Under the pact, the city would give the ownership group two tax breaks, incentives it says it needs to invest $75 million to $95 million to rebuild the railway.

In March, Broadmoor President and CEO Jack Damioli announced that the aging railway had "run its useful life," and a study would weigh whether it should be refurbished or permanently closed. The analysis found that nearly $100 million likely would be needed to restore the system, rebuilding the track and expanding, remodeling or even demolishing the railway's Manitou depot."

"Work on the Cog could begin in August with a partial reopening in May 2020, in time for the debut later that year of the $50 million Summit House that would greet Cog riders atop Pikes Peak."

That's quite a commitment to spend nearly $100M to rebuild this premier attraction. It could be a great step in promoting Colorado Springs as a great tourism destination.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
More on the agreement between Manitou and the train's operator.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
It will reopen in 2021. Are people excited? I am—I'll be there. I made my first trip about 1950. I made my only steam trip in about 1954 behind #5. I know it's a forlorn hope, but it would be great if they ran a few steam trains.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Pi...501548472.html

Old 01-10-2019, 02:19 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It will reopen in 2021. Are people excited? I am—I'll be there. I made my first trip about 1950. I made my only steam trip in about 1954 behind #5. I know it's a forlorn hope, but it would be great if they ran a few steam trains.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Pi...501548472.html
That's good news! It's such a piece of Colorado history and I'm very happy it will be reopened for more generations to enjoy. I look forward to going back again myself.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Default Pikes Peak Cog Railway makes $100 million deal with Swiss manufacturer

https://www.krdo.com/news/pikes-peak...urer/996963488

Very interested to see how this plays out. Despite being a local I have never ridden the cog up to Pikes Peak I may have to when the train is up and running again.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:08 AM

https://krdo.com/news/top-stories/20...-summit-house/

PIKES PEAK, Colo. (KRDO) -- The cog railway that ferries passengers to the top of America's Mountain has been out of commission for years now, but the trains will soon be clickety-clacking up the mountain again, officials announced Tuesday.

The Pikes Peak Cog Railway is scheduled to reopen in May 2021.

Those trains will also be rolling into a new station at the soon-to-be-completed Pikes Peak Summit House. The new building has been in construction for more than a year and is expected to bring many upgrades to the tourist spot.

"After many months of research, planning and community support, we’re excited to share the progress we’re making toward reopening in May 2021," said a statement on the cog railway's website.

The trains depart from the station along Ruxton Ave. in Manitou Springs and then make the trek up to more than 14,000 feet above sea level. A few years ago, the railway was closed because of necessary repairs to keep the railway safe for passengers.

As of June 24, the railway reconstruction had reached the 25% completion point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs