Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times

Advertisements

This article points out some of the other potential consequences of the train not running - such as Barr Camp may have to close if it can't get supplies. The Pikes Peak Marathon etc., relies on the train for ferrying supplies - could affect that event and others like it. Many people who hike up the Peak via Barr Trail rely on the trains to get back down etc.- so a lot of recreation that depends on the trains are now in jeopardy. https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...t?oid=10960814
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,041 times
I was fortunate to attend a presentation of the design of the new summit house last winter. I wonder how the lack of the cog would affect the design, as they had to put a lot of work trying to accommodate the amount of bathrooms needed for the rush of visitors who would ride the cog, and then to figure out how to move the waste around. Maybe it wouldn't change, maybe it would. But the main reason why the designers said they needed so many bathrooms was precisely because of the flood of people coming off of the cog.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
I don't think there is anything in the history of Colorado Springs that is more synonymous with the city than Pikes Peak and the Cog Railway. It's one of the few things that makes COS unique. It would be a great loss.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Default Update

Broadmoor meets with Colorado Springs-area officials as it studies Cog Railway | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"The Broadmoor hotel hopes to complete a study of the Pikes Peak Cog Railway within three months as it determines whether the now-shuttered attraction can or should be rebuilt.

Broadmoor President and CEO Jack Damioli said he met Wednesday with "several" governmental agencies as part of the hotel's research on what to do with the railway. Participants in the meeting weren't identified, but the Manitou Springs mayor, and representatives of the city of Colorado Springs, El Paso County and The Convention and Visitors Bureau said they have met with the Broadmoor recently. More such meetings are likely, Damioli said."

Thats a good strategy. Meet with all the stakeholders to find common ground.

Perhaps politics can actually work at the local level. How refreshing.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
I'm cautiously waiting to see if it is a collaborative effort or an attempt to unload costs on the public. .

Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I'm cautiously waiting to see if it is a collaborative effort or an attempt to unload costs on the public. .
Would be nice to see a true collaborative effort where everyone wins, but my jaded view at age 70 tell me that the current owner, billionaire Phil Anschutz, will try to stick the costs on the public. I expect Anschutz to threaten scrapping everything unless the city takes ownership and pays for the rebuild.

A deal may demand that in exchange for donating this run-down property to the city that Anschutz's resort operating company, Xanterra, gets to run the train and concession shop at the peak. This way he can do the "capitalist dream" of socializing facility costs onto taxpayers while privatizing profits from ticket sales and gift shop operations. Such a deal. Nothing really changes, the current owner gets to continue running the attraction but the city pays the tab for restoration and maintenance and probably only gets a slice of the revenue; i.e., the city pays out more than it takes in. (Xanterra runs resort operations in many National Parks as concessionaire. Phil Anschutz also owns the Gazette, the Broadmoor Resort and a number of other venues like the Staples Center in Los Angeles.)

On the flip side, and to be fair about it, I have some sympathy for Anschutz. He now bears costs for railway operation but a lot of other business owners in Manitou and Colorado Springs, who put no money in the pot, get to make money on tourist traffic attracted to ride the train. Some really good economic professionals could quantify at least a rough approximation of how much value the cog railway adds to the local economy. From such a study we could devise some contribution by local political jurisdictions to help cover operation of the train with ownership remaining in the hands of Anschutz.

If a deal isn't possible the city could take ownership via outright donation by Anschutz or by eminent domain. I suspect I'm only scratching the surface on the variety of deals that could be made.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-17-2018 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think there is anything in the history of Colorado Springs that is more synonymous with the city than Pikes Peak and the Cog Railway. It's one of the few things that makes COS unique. It would be a great loss.
I'd go as far as to say that it's the only thing that makes COS unique.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Probably more true than not. The city's old "attraction" as a place for Tuberculosis patients is one attraction that no one wants to resurrect. About the only other unique thing is the USAF Academy and that only good for a couple of hours.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,802 times
Quote:
But but but with all of the growth on the North Side there are sooooo many new places to eat!

Sure makes the traffic and high taxes worth it-

Gotta love that (or maybe not)

Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
... Sure makes the ... high taxes worth it- ....
High taxes? Taxes in COLO SPGS are anything but high, and that is part of the problem there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs