Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 11:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Ok, ok - breathe ---I don't get upset often and it only lasts a minute ---but I understand now this little
horrible, stupid person went to work at Woodmen King Soopers WITH SYMPTYOMS!
Grrrr-----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
People are going to go to work with symptoms because a lot of employers aren't allowing them time off unless they get a test order, and it is very very hard to get a test order. So people convince themselves they don't have it to keep their jobs.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:20 PM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
My friend didn't say anything specific- I think that others have viewed more. As a teacher I've been staying at home, beating my head against my table trying to do the best I can for them. HOW CAN YOU TEACH FRENCH EFFECTIVELY ONLINE? (short answer: you can't, at least not as good as in person) Anyway, I'll be their teacher next year, so I know where they will be. I'm not too worried about them. Now my Advanced Placement US History students... the AP test is very different now (instead of a 3 hour, 45 minute multiple choice, long essay question, Document Based question, and short answer exam, it's 45 minute long essay. at home) and I'm waiting for an update by the college board to see how I need to adjust our review and preparation for the exam.

I do live on Nevada and the traffic doesn't seem that much different. Just a tad slower but constant cars.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:32 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Test are virtually impossible to get unless you have acute symptoms AND are in a high risk category or have access to them via the military.

We've had two employees, one who was exposed 2nd hand to a confirmed positive, one who had several symptoms. Neither of them could get tested for confirmation because of their age. Both are self quarantining because they CAN NOT get medical confirmation of their conditions.

Now with the host of programs out there, we are still trying to determine who falls under what category of which clause for either State or Federal programs. They will get paid for/from one of these, but it will be out some period of time and may take some additional time for it to occur. We have some decent resources available to us to sort this out and they are still doing the cyphering. A small mom and pop shop will have a tougher time figuring it out.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:13 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ok, ok - breathe ---I don't get upset often and it only lasts a minute ---but I understand now this little
horrible, stupid person went to work at Woodmen King Soopers WITH SYMPTYOMS!
Grrrr-----
Oh I know. That is the part that blew my mind, too.

Spoke to my fiance about it. He says that his company's policy is that:

- If you feel sick, please stay home, or even if you feel NERVOUS about possibly being exposed, you can simply stay home for 2 weeks, but you will have to use your own sick/vacation time up, or take it unpaid.

- If you are tested, and you test positive, then you will be paid for 2 weeks off (without using your own sick/vac time)

- If you, or anyone in your household, has been sick or definitely exposed, you are to report it to the company.

He said that what he's heard though, is if you fall ill, you phone in to an urgent care or doctor's office, and unless you're like...life-or-death...they don't have enough tests, and they tell you just to stay home, isolate yourself for 2 weeks and try to recover. Getting tested is hard, and no one is going to do it just because your work won't pay you for the time off (maybe?) without a positive test result.

Thing is, a lot of companies have not definitively solved (for this situation) the reasons why employees tend to go to work sick in the first place. Worry over their income, or keeping their job. If we're told it's damn near impossible to get tested, then just saying, "well if you test positive for coronavirus..." might not be enough.

Don't get me wrong, my fiance would 100% stay home in isolation if he were ill. But what he was saying, is a reinforcement of something I was saying in the early stages of this thing. The policies of uncaring employers coupled with our culture...which is not only consumerist but also one where only a self-sacrificing hard worker is a worthy human being...makes a lot of Americans feel compelled to go to work sick, and I wasn't sure that even a pandemic would fully change that. Not even temporarily.

What is even more disturbing is just how short American attention spans tend to be. The way I see it, the only alternative to either 12-18+ months of mostly quarantine while we wait for the vaccine...or just letting it kill millions... is to get tests so widely available, enough to test pretty much everyone, and then we could work on isolating ONLY those who are positive & contagious. But 12-18+ months of this? It just isn't sustainable, for so many reasons.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:25 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Air Force Academy graduation moved up to April 18. Public will not be allowed to attend.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:45 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
"As many as 25 percent of people infected with the new coronavirus may not show symptoms, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns — a startlingly high number that complicates efforts to predict the pandemic’s course and strategies to mitigate its spread.

In particular, the high level of symptom-free cases is leading the C.D.C. to consider broadening its guidelines on who should wear masks.

“This helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country,” the director, Dr. Robert Redfield, told National Public Radio in an interview broadcast on Tuesday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/h...gtype=Homepage

This explains a reason that it's so hard to contain this virus.

I'm staying in my burrow.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
I've often thought that because South Korea mandated people to wear masks is a primary reason why their fight against the virus has been to this point more successful.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
There should be a legality to this ---inform the public FASTER! We do have the dates on TV -
Mar 21-25 , 28th
And one earlier 24th?
I was not there.
I'm amazed 11 people have died on El Paso Cty -4 from that Bridge Tournament.
Oh my.

Don't forget Timberland on Stone north of Fillmore is giving away material for homemade face masks.
Just went, he comes out to greet cars and give some to you enuff for 14 ---After Friday you can pick up more
for other people too. More coming in.
Thanks for the great info!!!! Stay safe.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
South Korea is testing the bejezus out of their population so they know who has it and can force them to stay home. Stories of positive cases being slapped with ankle monitors and phone apps and the like to ensure traceability are also measures that likely wouldn't fly well here.

Germany and some Nordic countries are also testing as fast as they can to measure the population adn implement isolation. Without doing this, you have no idea haw far its spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs