Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 AM

336 posts, read 698,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I think Colorado culture (like much of the culture of the west) doesn't really fall in line with "traditional" American politics. On one hand, Westerners want wide open space, want to be left alone by outsiders and the Federal government, want the right to protect themselves and their families, don't want people (particular from the coasts) telling them how to run their lives.

Along with that, though, the West can be (rurally speaking) a bit of a lonely place. I think that contributes to the overall friendliness of Westerners, the willingness to help and lend aid, whether by personal charity or local government action, want their environment where they live, play, hunt, nurture and steward over to be pristine. They want to practice their beliefs and religion without imposing it on others, or having others impose theirs on them.

Basically, "don't tell me how to run my life and I won't tell you how to run yours...then we can be friends, allies, and protectors of what we have here, in every sense of the word..." Perhaps that's a bit of an idealistic view of Colorado, and western states in general...maybe that ideal never existed, even, but the mythology is certainly there.

What's corrupted California is money. Every state has their driving political issue...I think Arizona's is land, Colorado's is water, and California's is cash. It's not that Coloradans don't want California's money...I think it's that Coloradans don't want "Californians" (defined by lifestyle and motivations rather than geographic origins) flooding money into Colorado and then telling Coloradans how to run their affairs. Frankly, I don't blame people in Colorado for feeling that way. Of course they should look at their house and make sure it's in order, as well...as there are plenty of faults from within, but I think the complaints about ugly "Californians" put forth a legitimate concern.

California has it's identity, and the Western / Rocky Mountain states have theirs. It's not a culture the West is interested in importing...and even less interested in having it thrust upon them.

Unfortunately, it's a lot of money...

Very well said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,504,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I think Colorado culture (like much of the culture of the west) doesn't really fall in line with "traditional" American politics. On one hand, Westerners want wide open space, want to be left alone by outsiders and the Federal government, want the right to protect themselves and their families, don't want people (particular from the coasts) telling them how to run their lives.

Along with that, though, the West can be (rurally speaking) a bit of a lonely place. I think that contributes to the overall friendliness of Westerners, the willingness to help and lend aid, whether by personal charity or local government action, want their environment where they live, play, hunt, nurture and steward over to be pristine. They want to practice their beliefs and religion without imposing it on others, or having others impose theirs on them.

Basically, "don't tell me how to run my life and I won't tell you how to run yours...then we can be friends, allies, and protectors of what we have here, in every sense of the word..." Perhaps that's a bit of an idealistic view of Colorado, and western states in general...maybe that ideal never existed, even, but the mythology is certainly there.

What's corrupted California is money. Every state has their driving political issue...I think Arizona's is land, Colorado's is water, and California's is cash. It's not that Coloradans don't want California's money...I think it's that Coloradans don't want "Californians" (defined by lifestyle and motivations rather than geographic origins) flooding money into Colorado and then telling Coloradans how to run their affairs. Frankly, I don't blame people in Colorado for feeling that way. Of course they should look at their house and make sure it's in order, as well...as there are plenty of faults from within, but I think the complaints about ugly "Californians" put forth a legitimate concern.

California has it's identity, and the Western / Rocky Mountain states have theirs. It's not a culture the West is interested in importing...and even less interested in having it thrust upon them.

Unfortunately, it's a lot of money...
I also agree with this--it describes many native and long-time Coloradans quite well. Unfortunately, the "corruption" of money doesn't just come from California--there are plenty of monied jerks from other states who are doing their damnedest to ruin Colorado for their own financial gain. That is nothing new--Colorado has had more than its share of out-of-state carpetbaggers forever--but it has become especially pernicious in the last 20-30 years. And one can't ignore the fact that just the overwhelming number of people transplanting to the state every year--each one wanting their little piece of it for themselves (and many with the same "I want mine, and the hell with what impact that has on the rest of the state" attitude as many of those rich carpetbaggers)--is having an extremely negative and permanent impact on the quality of life in Colorado.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,757,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Colorado should bow down to all of us who've moved here in recent years if, as it looks very probable, we hand our 9 electoral votes to Obama. We're helping turn CO blue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
So, the 20 Democratic Governors (~50%) don't count as blue? There are a ton of Democrats in Colorado and have been since its inception. Face it, this state is purple.
This state has always been moderate, and the idea that people in this state are helping to elect the most liberal senator to the position of president, while he and his running mate have always been against Colorado's number 1 industry disturbs me, it does not make me proud that people are cutting off their nose to spite their face. The ignorance on display with Coloradoan's support of Obama is not something to be proud about. People think that the state economy is hurting now, just wait when Obama and Gov Ritter get their wish and try to destroy the two industries that make up over 8% of the Colorado economy.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,065,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
This state has always been moderate...
You say moderate, I say purple.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 PM

387 posts, read 678,886 times
The idea that Californians are "turning Colorado blue" isn't really right. I'm a native Coloradan and my observation is that Colorado is falling into the divisive politics that plague California.

Colorado has usually been reliably Republican, yes, but the Colorado Republicans used to be "live and let live" Republicans. James Dobson, who moved here from LA, is the epitome of bad politics from California. It's him and the rest of the Johnny-come-lately Colorado Springs Republicans who started this pattern. Before Focus on the Family, the Springs was a pretty tolerant area.

I don't remember who, but a Denver Post columnist lamented that the question people used to ask him in the Springs was, "where do you ski?"

Now, thanks to a Californian influx of religious conservatives, the standard question is "where do you go to church."

California isn't turning Colorado blue or red. It's turning Colorado away from live-and-let-live libertarianism.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,334,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
The idea that Californians are "turning Colorado blue" isn't really right. I'm a native Coloradan and my observation is that Colorado is falling into the divisive politics that plague California.

Colorado has usually been reliably Republican, yes, but the Colorado Republicans used to be "live and let live" Republicans. James Dobson, who moved here from LA, is the epitome of bad politics from California. It's him and the rest of the Johnny-come-lately Colorado Springs Republicans who started this pattern. Before Focus on the Family, the Springs was a pretty tolerant area.

I don't remember who, but a Denver Post columnist lamented that the question people used to ask him in the Springs was, "where do you ski?"

Now, thanks to a Californian influx of religious conservatives, the standard question is "where do you go to church."

California isn't turning Colorado blue or red. It's turning Colorado away from live-and-let-live libertarianism.
You're one of the few people here who actually "gets" it. To say that the Californians moving to Colorado are all liberal, Prius driving, granola eating (and btw, what the flying **** is wrong with granola?) commies is just as stupid as stereotyping all Texans as fat, confederate flag waving, Ford F-350 pickup up driving, fundamentalist, toothless rednecks. And zenkonami, you wrote a great piece on the Phoenix forum the other day, but your recent post here fell a bit short. There are a lot of different types of people from California moving, for different reasons, different motives, and different places within Colorado. Unfortunately, there are those who are too intellectually lazy to make the distinctions.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,491,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You're one of the few people here who actually "gets" it. To say that the Californians moving to Colorado are all liberal, Prius driving, granola eating (and btw, what the flying **** is wrong with granola?) commies is ... stupid ... stereotyping.
True. I'm actually moving to Colorado in part to get away from the nanny state that Prius driving, granola eating liberals are turning California into. I'm not a churchie either so Colorado's general libertarian outlook should suit me pretty well.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM

336 posts, read 698,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You're one of the few people here who actually "gets" it. To say that the Californians moving to Colorado are all liberal, Prius driving, granola eating (and btw, what the flying **** is wrong with granola?) commies is just as stupid as stereotyping all Texans as fat, confederate flag waving, Ford F-350 pickup up driving, fundamentalist, toothless rednecks. And zenkonami, you wrote a great piece on the Phoenix forum the other day, but your recent post here fell a bit short. There are a lot of different types of people from California moving, for different reasons, different motives, and different places within Colorado. Unfortunately, there are those who are too intellectually lazy to make the distinctions.
Yeah...stop all that stereotyping... 'cause I am none of the above...
I even have all my toofies... and the only time my neck is red is if
I have gotten a sunburn...

Old 10-29-2008, 04:19 PM

34 posts, read 117,177 times
I here you. I am in the same boat stuck here in the Bay Area untill I can make a move. I hate what has happened to this state.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,334,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
True. I'm actually moving to Colorado in part to get away from the nanny state that Prius driving, granola eating liberals are turning California into. I'm not a churchie either so Colorado's general libertarian outlook should suit me pretty well.
But please explain to me what the hell is wrong with eating granola bars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado