Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM

42 posts, read 65,008 times

Advertisements

Yeah, thats what I was wondering, VegasPilgrim...maybe its ok to eat granola as long as you aren't wearing Birkenstocks at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,225,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You're one of the few people here who actually "gets" it. To say that the Californians moving to Colorado are all liberal, Prius driving, granola eating (and btw, what the flying **** is wrong with granola?) commies is just as stupid as stereotyping all Texans as fat, confederate flag waving, Ford F-350 pickup up driving, fundamentalist, toothless rednecks. And zenkonami, you wrote a great piece on the Phoenix forum the other day, but your recent post here fell a bit short. There are a lot of different types of people from California moving, for different reasons, different motives, and different places within Colorado. Unfortunately, there are those who are too intellectually lazy to make the distinctions.
Fair call...I probably have more direct insight into Arizona than I do Colorado just from having lived in Arizona for so many years.

That said, I think part of my point was not "people from California" necessarily, but "Californians" as a kind of mentality, regardless of where they are from. I don't mean to suggest that all people from California have that mentality, but it's those that perpetuate that stereotype...whether natives, by way of being transplants or people who cling to the "California lifestyle", even if they've never lived in California - and want to bring it to Colorado (or anywhere else.)

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,225,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
But please explain to me what the hell is wrong with eating granola bars?
Oats. People are prejudiced against oats. Darned oatists.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,391,766 times
They taste like dirt glued together.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 PM

18,745 posts, read 33,481,566 times
I'd suggest that a generic "California mentality" is actually a over-consumption, affluent suburban entitlement mentality. Can be found anywhere near affluent suburbs.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,346,724 times
Granola tastes really good. It's like a cross between cereal and a candy bar. I think you may be confusing granola with rice cakes-- now that's something with no tastes. I've been eating Quaker chewy granola bars my whole life. Regardless of whether or not you personally choose to eat granola as a good energy snack, anybody who hates people just because they like granola is a flipping moron.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,808,203 times
If you're calling people flipping morons, wouldn't that qualify you as an "ugly" person?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:20 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd suggest that a generic "California mentality" is actually a over-consumption, affluent suburban entitlement mentality. Can be found anywhere near affluent suburbs.
In that case, "California mentality" is the wrong name for it. Let's not encourage "Californiaist" behavior (anti-Californiaism).

And really, in answer to the thread question:

How to avoid being the "ugly Californian" in Colorado?

There's really no way. People see what they want to see. If they don't like Californians, they'll see everything bad.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-30-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,030,895 times
I've been eating granola for more than 35 years, but I didn't pick up the habit in California. I actually started my granola eating habit in Colorado. What the heck does eating granola have to do with California? Most of the store bought granola is admittedly like eating cardboard with sweetening added to make it somewhat palatable. The good stuff is the stuff I make myself, and the stuff my wife makes is even better.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,288,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
"We're helping turn CO blue"

A perfect example of the damage - This area used to be Very Conservative.
You're very welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado