Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 12:13 PM

977 posts, read 1,329,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
NThey just started the search and already have close to 80 applicants. It will be interesting to see who they get.
Well, all of the unemployment recipients in Pueblo do have to show that they are actively looking for work..... seems like a good a pool of applicants as any that Pueblo gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,473,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The duplicity in this statement is implying that the state is coming in to fund the Stock Show upgrade. An implication that completely ignores that the Stock Show upgrade is being funded to the tune of $700M by the city. So, 60-70% of the upgrade funding is coming from local sources.

Meanwhile, in Pueblo, the State Fair has seen reduced local contributions and what seems like zero political will from the local rubes to pony up additional funding to see the Fair and it's economic benefits remain in Pueblo- let alone to expand it. This continued financial issues of the Fair and Nevling's rumblings about going after the Fair's subsidies unless a turn-around is implemented will hopefully garner some call to action at the local level in Pueblo. As soon as, or "if" to be pessimistic, Pueblo announces an effort to secure additional local funding, such as a local bonding initiative with state contributions, to upgrade the fairgrounds all of these relocation rumblings will cease. Should that not happen, this topic will come up year after year.
I would support a deal between the city, county, and the state to update the fairgrounds.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM

572 posts, read 552,783 times
Quote:
Not even a government "program" more of a educational institution with the same mission as any college to educate the youth but through 4h and FFA.
so, to be clear here - This is an entity funded by and run by the State of Colorado - therefore it is a "program" the state administers -- would you agree?

Sure, the program is broad - encompasing the State Fair, and educational efforts revolving around FFA, 4H outreach

Quote:
Remember the numbers he quotes come from the independent auditing firm.
which are the numbers I would personally trust the most, given there are independent auditors making sure that things are materially correct.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:23 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
I would support a deal between the city, county, and the state to update the fairgrounds.
Let's get Trump to build my proposed Sin City there, done corporate-fast without any government bureaucracy, paid for with all private money, all union jobs.

A food hall with sloppers, tamales, half bisons on a spit, roasted chile peppers year-round, brew-pub, bubba gump shrimp palace, red/green chili, the works!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:23 PM

977 posts, read 1,329,451 times
Quote:
I'm sure everyone would, but the city needs to lead this discussion. If not, then the charge that Pueblo simply isn't willing to fight to keep the fair, beyond whining, carries merit.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
so, to be clear here - This is an entity funded by and run by the State of Colorado - therefore it is a "program" the state administers -- would you agree?

Sure, the program is broad - encompasing the State Fair, and educational efforts revolving around FFA, 4H outreach
Sure if you call CU a government program. I have a different definition but that's ok.

Quote:
which are the numbers I would personally trust the most, given there are independent auditors making sure that things are materially correct.
Those are the numbers he quotes.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I'm sure everyone would, but the city needs to lead this discussion. If not, then the charge that Pueblo simply isn't willing to fight to keep the fair, beyond whining, carries merit.
Personally I would like to see the new state fair manager take the lead here and come up with a plan that would help the fair on the off season then go to the city, county and state with the plan to get broad support.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

572 posts, read 552,783 times
Quote:

Those are the numbers he quotes.
no, I read it as he had a meeting to understand the figures,
and then he comes out saying -- well the actual cash loss is xyz,
ignoring the audited figures that included depreciation and excluded the state bail out...

is how I read the article

Old 09-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
no, I read it as he had a meeting to understand the figures,
and then he comes out saying -- well the actual cash loss is xyz,
ignoring the audited figures that included depreciation and excluded the state bail out...

is how I read the article
He has a meeting but he is not the one who comes up with the numbers. He reports them its the auditors who come up with the numbers.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Remodeled or not, the off-season revenue potential of the fairgrounds site will always be limited by its location. As Bruce Hornsby once said, that's just the way it is...

As far as Denver "wanting the fair," I couldn't care less if the fair were held in Pueblo, Denver, Nucla, or Rangely - as long as it doesn't lose money.

With TABOR in place every last stinkin' penny of the state's revenue is important, and subsidizing the fair, to me, is way down the list of priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado