Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times

Advertisements

I just retired in northwest Arkansas and Ridgeway is one of the towns in Colorado I would like to move to. My older sisters live in Delta, so I'm looking at Ridgeway, Cedaredge and Montrose to move to. I like the fact that Ridgeway is a small town (I live in an urban area of 350,000 now) with no crime, little traffic and lots of outdoor things to do, not to mention NO humidity. Cold weather doesn't bother me, and I think it'll be fun to experience a winter snowfall instead of the ice we get here. I'm one of these people that when I move someplace research all the history, frequent local owned places, and talk to people. The history of Colorado and the west fascinates me. I want to rent or lease an apartment, townhouse or condo. I don't want to buy a house. And I sure hope meth labs aren't in every other house there as they are here. I'll be bringing six figures in the bank along with my monthly retirement if that helps. I won't need a job. Thoughts?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I just retired in northwest Arkansas and Ridgeway is one of the towns in Colorado I would like to move to. My older sisters live in Delta, so I'm looking at Ridgeway, Cedaredge and Montrose to move to. I like the fact that Ridgeway is a small town (I live in an urban area of 350,000 now) with no crime, little traffic and lots of outdoor things to do, not to mention NO humidity. Cold weather doesn't bother me, and I think it'll be fun to experience a winter snowfall instead of the ice we get here. I'm one of these people that when I move someplace research all the history, frequent local owned places, and talk to people. The history of Colorado and the west fascinates me. I want to rent or lease an apartment, townhouse or condo. I don't want to buy a house. And I sure hope meth labs aren't in every other house there as they are here. I'll be bringing six figures in the bank along with my monthly retirement if that helps. I won't need a job. Thoughts?
Meth is a problem on the W. Slope, so you'll hear about it from time to time. [mod cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-02-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
If you like a desert environment (with mountains close by) and you like small towns, then you'll like it here on the Western Slope. Sounds like you're already familiar with the area so you know what I mean by "dry" desert. Have you lived in high altitude before?

As for the meth problem, I haven't heard much about it. The occasional, infrequent news report or something, but it's not something you'll see in your daily routine.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Haven't lived in high altitude unless you count the Boston Mountains of the Ozarks in nw Arkansas at 1,200 feet! I've visited there every September for the past several years and it takes me a few days to get used to it, after that I'm ok. Monarch Pass, I could never get used to, always get dizzy there. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM

48 posts, read 150,825 times
Ridgeway is very small and very quaint. No bigger grocery stores, no shopping other than touristy type shops but Montrose is only about 30 minutes away. If you want something a little bigger but still a nice town, Montrose would be a good choice.

Just always be cognicant of not waving around the "6 figures in the bank". There is big resentment on the Western Slope about people who come with money and try to remake their community. Go in quietly, join a nice local church or small community group and go about making this your home. People that do that seem to fit in better

Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcolorado View Post
Ridgeway is very small and very quaint. No bigger grocery stores, no shopping other than touristy type shops but Montrose is only about 30 minutes away. If you want something a little bigger but still a nice town, Montrose would be a good choice.

Just always be cognicant of not waving around the "6 figures in the bank". There is big resentment on the Western Slope about people who come with money and try to remake their community. Go in quietly, join a nice local church or small community group and go about making this your home. People that do that seem to fit in better
Thanks, I would never wave money around. Just wanted to make a point I have enough to live on. The thought of a small town appeals to me. I want to walk into the local grocery and have the clerk say "hi Jim" instead of ignoring me. A small apartment is all I need. Believe me after 34 years in law enforcement, peace and quiet sounds very nice.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
There's a nice supermarket "Mountain Market," a bit pricey and carries organic and local stuff. Best wishes on your retirement to Ridgway!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Meth is a problem on the W. Slope, so you'll hear about it from time to time. [mod cut]
Speaking of which, I'm looking to buy a house here too, and I'd like to know how much it costs to check out a place for contamination? Any idea?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 37,770 times
Ridgeway is beautiful. I have lived in GJ 60 years and have visited all of the surrounding area. If you are researching, try looking up Ouray, Telluride and Silverton. Beautiful mountain living. If you ski, or want to learn, you are looking in the right direction. Some famous people live up here, Oprah for one. People are friendly in those small communities and I am sure you will need to bring a camara because the mountains are simply perfect. Good luck and let me know if I can help you further and keep us posted of your decision.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Those places (Tellruide, Ridgway, even Silverton) are only really affordable today if you are a multi-millionaire. They aren't middle class places anymore. Maybe again someday, when the real estate debacle finally crashes the resort market (and I think it will), but not yet.

And for God's sake, can people get the spelling of the town right, for once? It's R-I-D-G-W-A-Y, not "Ridgeway." The town's namesake, an official of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad back when, is probably rolling over in his grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado