Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Ever astute as usual jazzlover. Was just discussing this with my wife last night. When I was born, the population was just over a million-three. Now we're at 5.5M and climbing. At around 10M, if not before, we'll start becoming the place many people will want to flee, like CA now. I won't be around to see it, but believe it's quite possible. Maybe the elevation has something to do with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
As jazzlover noted, it's the transient population.

Are people unfriendly? Not really. Are they open and extroverted? Not really. Are they nosy? Definitely not.
Both of you please note jazzlover has not been a part of this conversation for a while, has not posted on CD at all in 2 1/2 years, and hated (at the time he was posting) non-natives.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-26-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 06:44 PM

472 posts, read 348,207 times
Colorado is a bit more introverted than the South. I lived in the Dallas area for 17 years and have lived in the Colorado Springs area since about 08. It's not what I call mean, just people are a bit quieter. There are definitely more people that keep to themselves. It's not really bad, it's just different.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:57 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Colorado is a bit more introverted than the South. I lived in the Dallas area for 17 years and have lived in the Colorado Springs area since about 08. It's not what I call mean, just people are a bit quieter. There are definitely more people that keep to themselves. It's not really bad, it's just different.
I agree. I lived in Texas for a year. I also lived in Florida for about 14 years - 13 in Tallahassee and 1 in Fort Lauderdale. I thought the "Deep South" of North FL and the panhandle was very southern and mellow. There is such a vibe as "southern hospitality". I am Native American and was concerned with southern bigotry and KKK-type-of-racism. But it is rare and infrequent. Most southerners were really mellow.

South FL was more Latin American and I felt like an outsider. Spanish was the dominant language, and I think it has strong hospitality for those who can connect with the ethnic communities of the Caribbean Islands and South Americans who migrate to Miami. But for a guy from Arizona South FL was hard to fit in.

Texas was really mellow and great for an engineering project. The job market was roaring hot in 2011-2012 when I lived there. I did not want to move back to FL but had to in order to deal with my house.

As for Colorado, I lived there for four years but the job market died for engineers in 2001-2002. I had to move to FL for a new job in 2002. I loved Colorado. I was a habitual mountain runner. Boulder and Denver were great for a young engineering graduate who just wanted to explore job opportunities and get experience while living the athletic, outdoor lifestyle.

Boulder and Denver are not conducive for men who want to settle down and find a wife. The women are heavily outnumbered by men in Boulder and Denver. The joke about Denver is "Menver". At a typical singles bar or social event with men and women, the men will likely outnumber women by 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. In Boulder, it's even worse. Ironically, Boulder and Denver offer the great "yuppie" jobs for men who want to settle down but not the even-population ratio of equally career-minded single women who also want to settle down. It's too heavily skewed against men - hence you get to run into women who are cold and indifferent due to the many, many options they have to date and be very picky.
Considering moving -- unhappy with dating scene - LoveShack.org Community Forums

So rather than go back to Boulder, I chose Phoenix.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree. I lived in Texas for a year. I also lived in Florida for about 14 years - 13 in Tallahassee and 1 in Fort Lauderdale. I thought the "Deep South" of North FL and the panhandle was very southern and mellow. There is such a vibe as "southern hospitality". I am Native American and was concerned with southern bigotry and KKK-type-of-racism. But it is rare and infrequent. Most southerners were really mellow.

South FL was more Latin American and I felt like an outsider. Spanish was the dominant language, and I think it has strong hospitality for those who can connect with the ethnic communities of the Caribbean Islands and South Americans who migrate to Miami. But for a guy from Arizona South FL was hard to fit in.

Texas was really mellow and great for an engineering project. The job market was roaring hot in 2011-2012 when I lived there. I did not want to move back to FL but had to in order to deal with my house.

As for Colorado, I lived there for four years but the job market died for engineers in 2001-2002. I had to move to FL for a new job in 2002. I loved Colorado. I was a habitual mountain runner. Boulder and Denver were great for a young engineering graduate who just wanted to explore job opportunities and get experience while living the athletic, outdoor lifestyle.

Boulder and Denver are not conducive for men who want to settle down and find a wife. The women are heavily outnumbered by men in Boulder and Denver. The joke about Denver is "Menver". At a typical singles bar or social event with men and women, the men will likely outnumber women by 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. In Boulder, it's even worse. Ironically, Boulder and Denver offer the great "yuppie" jobs for men who want to settle down but not the even-population ratio of equally career-minded single women who also want to settle down. It's too heavily skewed against men - hence you get to run into women who are cold and indifferent due to the many, many options they have to date and be very picky.
Considering moving -- unhappy with dating scene - LoveShack.org Community Forums

So rather than go back to Boulder, I chose Phoenix.
Are you really comparing the Denver of 2001 to today? The population has changed so much. It’s a very different city.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Are you really comparing the Denver of 2001 to today? The population has changed so much. It’s a very different city.
And a LOT more ‘Friendly’ / safe / engaging / welcoming today

Old 11-13-2017, 03:22 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I've lived in northern VA where people are just not casually friendly. You need a reason to talk to them, or they DO come off as mean. There's a lot of attitude on the East Coast. I thought they were better deep down underneath that, but following a tragic event in a community based out of Richmond, people's true colors came out. They really are pretty nasty, petty, and can be downright vicious, some of 'em.

Then Cincinnati, OH. I didn't like it there much. There were some people I got along with alright, but most were cold, elitist, or unfriendly. I didn't live there long, and nothing could drag me back except the Labor Day fireworks.

Then Des Moines, IA. Holy casual friendliness, Batman! People all smiling and telling me to have a nice day! At first it actually kind of freaked me out. But then I got used to it, and then it rubbed off. However, when it comes to forging deeper intellectual connections, say, having a conversation about a serious or controversial topic, they shut down fast. They prefer to keep it at a surface level. Lots of down to earth common sense though, in the Midwest.

Then Olympia, WA...right between Seattle and Portland. Boy were people friendly! I had lots of folks cozy right up to me...which was cool, until I realized they held a knife ready to stick it right in my back if it benefited them. I had some seriously fake friends up there. And a large number of people I knew had serious problems and seemed to want me to give them money. Even folks who should have been "respectable" from my office. Yikes. It was pretty, and I loved the art and music, but by the time it was time to go, I was ready to go.

Now Colorado Springs. I have made so many friends here. There's a really cool blend of west coast color and creativity and surface friendliness, East Coast brutal honesty, that "tell it like it is" attitude, and midwest common sense, and even a dash of southern charm. I feel like we've got it all here. Now, I can't say my friends are representative of everyone, 'cause I've met people in Widefield who are different from my friends who live in OCC, and all, and the Manitoids are a breed unto themselves...but I feel like whatever flavor you are, you can find some folks here to get along with. But I also know a TON of introverts. As in hardcore, "no more spoons, leave me alone, I'm only hanging out with my dogs today" introverts. They're alright, I just needed to get used to them and respect their boundaries. One social issue I encountered multiple times upon moving here, is that people I meet casually at work or the post office or whatever, do NOT get my humor. I might make some silly little sarcastic comment that I think is very witty indeed, only to be met with a blank stare. My friends get it...but I feel like people here need to get to know me, before they're prepared to laugh at my jokes.

Not sure what's up with that.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've lived in northern VA where people are just not casually friendly. You need a reason to talk to them, or they DO come off as mean. There's a lot of attitude on the East Coast. I thought they were better deep down underneath that, but following a tragic event in a community based out of Richmond, people's true colors came out. They really are pretty nasty, petty, and can be downright vicious, some of 'em.

Then Cincinnati, OH. I didn't like it there much. There were some people I got along with alright, but most were cold, elitist, or unfriendly. I didn't live there long, and nothing could drag me back except the Labor Day fireworks.

Then Des Moines, IA. Holy casual friendliness, Batman! People all smiling and telling me to have a nice day! At first it actually kind of freaked me out. But then I got used to it, and then it rubbed off. However, when it comes to forging deeper intellectual connections, say, having a conversation about a serious or controversial topic, they shut down fast. They prefer to keep it at a surface level. Lots of down to earth common sense though, in the Midwest.

Then Olympia, WA...right between Seattle and Portland. Boy were people friendly! I had lots of folks cozy right up to me...which was cool, until I realized they held a knife ready to stick it right in my back if it benefited them. I had some seriously fake friends up there. And a large number of people I knew had serious problems and seemed to want me to give them money. Even folks who should have been "respectable" from my office. Yikes. It was pretty, and I loved the art and music, but by the time it was time to go, I was ready to go.

Now Colorado Springs. I have made so many friends here. There's a really cool blend of west coast color and creativity and surface friendliness, East Coast brutal honesty, that "tell it like it is" attitude, and midwest common sense, and even a dash of southern charm. I feel like we've got it all here. Now, I can't say my friends are representative of everyone, 'cause I've met people in Widefield who are different from my friends who live in OCC, and all, and the Manitoids are a breed unto themselves...but I feel like whatever flavor you are, you can find some folks here to get along with. But I also know a TON of introverts. As in hardcore, "no more spoons, leave me alone, I'm only hanging out with my dogs today" introverts. They're alright, I just needed to get used to them and respect their boundaries. One social issue I encountered multiple times upon moving here, is that people I meet casually at work or the post office or whatever, do NOT get my humor. I might make some silly little sarcastic comment that I think is very witty indeed, only to be met with a blank stare. My friends get it...but I feel like people here need to get to know me, before they're prepared to laugh at my jokes.

Not sure what's up with that.
Re: The Midwest, I spent a weekend in SE MI/NW OH a couple of weeks ago, and it just seems like they got this whole human society thing figured out better than we do. It's like they're more advanced or something, just little subtle forward thinking that I've never seen anywhere else (I've experienced this in IL as well).

Re: Colorado Springs. I love the social environment down there compared to metro Denver. People are just more amenable to the existence of other humans. I've never lived down there, but I do go there often, and always feel like people are less phony and more engaged. I have the same problem with your bold thing myself, I'll think I said something crackup hilarious, and everybody is just expressionless. I've been in CO for 10 years, and have recently made a new friend who is from CA (like myself) and he GETS my humor.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Re: The Midwest, I spent a weekend in SE MI/NW OH a couple of weeks ago, and it just seems like they got this whole human society thing figured out better than we do. It's like they're more advanced or something, just little subtle forward thinking that I've never seen anywhere else (I've experienced this in IL as well).

Re: Colorado Springs. I love the social environment down there compared to metro Denver. People are just more amenable to the existence of other humans. I've never lived down there, but I do go there often, and always feel like people are less phony and more engaged. I have the same problem with your bold thing myself, I'll think I said something crackup hilarious, and everybody is just expressionless. I've been in CO for 10 years, and have recently made a new friend who is from CA (like myself) and he GETS my humor.
Yeah, so the only thing is...and I find this interesting...

I'm a little on the oddball side in a number of ways, I've got some rather unconventional interests, and I like to talk about subjects that aren't always considered appropriate for "polite conversation." Now, I'm not tactless, and I do gauge my audience reasonably well, most of the time. But in the Midwest, with the exception of one friend I had, if I broached a topic that was not "small talk" it was like invisible walls came up inside of their eyes. You could feel them closing off. They just are not down to dig into heavy duty topics.

Here, on the other hand? So I was getting my car serviced and I'd never been to this shop before, nor met the owner before. For a couple of hours it was just me and him in the front office. My phone died. I was bored, and definitely up to chat. I mentioned that I'd just come back from a convention, and was tired, and he asked me what kind of a convention. I asked, "Well...I'm not sure if you're easily offended, are you sure you consent to have this conversation?" and he laughed and said sure, nothing was likely to offend him. So I told him. It was an adult event, I'll just put it that way. We ended up talking about sex, love, relationships, life, and a ton of really heavy stuff for the whole 2 hours.

That would have NEVER happened in Des Moines, Iowa. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, just depends on what kind of conversations one might prefer to be able to have with strangers. lol

Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
People here tend to be very standoffish and lack social skills. Once people get to know you, and you pass that exterior, they stick to you like barnacles to coral!

When I started working at my current job, I had co-workers who wouldn't look at me while passing in the office and wouldn't respond when I would greet them. I thought it was extremely odd to the point that I took it upon myself to introduce myself to them. Soon after the introduction, they turned into bubbly people who still seem to always come to cubicle to chat up a storm!

It's extremely weird to me! In most places, people know there is a certain social decorum you have with people. Here it just doesn't exist.
Here, here! I agree as someone who lived in Denver for under 2 years (and spent many years on both coasts) it bothered me a lot of how the social skills of the metro areas were largely influx. This was ranging between extremely smart slashed depressed people to straight up looking for a handout on dates or even as friends. In the workplace people were private, in the social scene with guy friends you had to put a lot of work in to get traction. I honestly didn't have the effort by the end of my time there to exhaust myself on these efforts when I could be under 2 hours flying living in CA and manage friends from the west coast.

I will day that some native CO people were REALLY genuine - others particularly women were total basket cases. Flighty and non-committal and just bland. Everyone I met from Texas was awesome, California transplants were mixed as was the entire Eastern Seaboard in Denver.

I think Denver needs to distance itself from the "WASPY" insular Midwest values that originally settled the city into something more evolutionary. Right now it just seems likes it's in "BUILD BUILD BUILD" mode and not taking a look at the bigger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado