Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 AM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times

Advertisements

To get away from Pueblo.

There are/were plenty of folks needing employment obviously and in the late 2000s folks overbuilt during the housing bubble. That along with constantly idiotic moves by the county commissioners... such as driving off huge businesses... like the Walmart Distribution Center, and you've got a bunch of empty brand spanking new spec homes out here. If it weren't for Ft Carson soldiers, there would be even more.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-20-2012 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM

56 posts, read 113,066 times
Default Info about Pueblo

We currently reside in a suburb of Oklahoma City (Moore), and have found the only place with comparible housing costs in CO is in Pueblo. After doing some research, I have found that Pueblo appears to be a pretty rough place with lots of gang activity and a large Mexican population. However, with a town of 100,000 people, Im sure it can't all be bad, or can it?

We are a family of four. My wife is a nurse (RN) and we have two elementary school aged children. Any info regarding schools, nursing jobs, areas of town to avoid/live, cost of living/housing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post
We currently reside in a suburb of Oklahoma City (Moore), and have found the only place with comparible housing costs in CO is in Pueblo. After doing some research, I have found that Pueblo appears to be a pretty rough place with lots of gang activity and a large Mexican population. However, with a town of 100,000 people, Im sure it can't all be bad, or can it?
Pueblo is a very nice and safe city. I would not live here if it was un safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post
We are a family of four. My wife is a nurse (RN) and we have two elementary school aged children. Any info regarding schools, nursing jobs, areas of town to avoid/live, cost of living/housing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Pueblo has two main hospitals (Parkview Medical Center and Saint Mary Corwin Regional Medical Center) and a state hospital (The Colorado Mental Health Institute).

Avoid the east side and a area of town called Bessemer.

I don't have kids so I am not much help on the schools.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM

It is a rough town, but just big enough to be diverse.

The "Mexican Population" that you ask about in Pueblo is unique. You're talking about 5+ generation Hispanic/Italian/Polish folks here. Technically speaking, this used to be Mexico, right?

If you require less diversity, you can consider living in Pueblo West, the Rye/Colorado City area, or on "The Mesa", the latter being only different in its' rural feel.

Our hard working Moderator here Mikefrombackeast, has provided us with a sticky at the top of the Colorado subforum that enables you to find many many threads and vast info on questions you have about the area. Give it a look.

When it come to schooling, I prefer these schools from most to not-as-much-so desirable; Rye High School and Elementary along with Craver Middle School of Colorado City, then Pueblo West schools, then Pueblo County east on the Mesa schools, then maybe East in the Jerry Murphy area, then Maybe South... on Pueblo's south east side, and that's about it. I don't recommend Central or Centennial, although they are historic.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-06-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Our hard working Moderator here Mikefrombackeast, has provided us with a sticky at the top of the Colorado subforum that enables you to find many many threads and vast info on questions you have about the area. Give it a look.
I've been meaning to give Mike a thumbs up for this as well. There is a lot of information there and it took a lot of time and effort to gather that information. Thanks Mike!

And thanks to McGowdog for bringing up that observation!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Oh, well lookie here! It's a Twofer!

The Two Best Mods on CD!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
I got two votes! yaaaay! ....I should run for presi..... No, never mind.

Thanks guys!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't think that it's THAT cheap.

Think about how much you pay for petro... 3.05+/gal. Diesel... 3.65+/gal.

Food is expensive... even in the Walmart[s].

License tags are outrageous. Living off the Front Range a scosh doesn't save you from THIS fate.

How about that heat bill in the winter months? Or that electric bill in the summer? Ask Joss about his water bill. Or better yet, don't.

How much for your 3G Verizon smartphone? Does it cost less than what you would pay in Denver? Dallas?

I've heard that you can make 15 bucks/hr working at McDonalds in Gillette Wyoming or up in North Dakota. Don't think this is true of Pueblo. Oh, and ask a waiter or waitress how well the typical Puebloan tips in these lucrative times.
That is really cheap for petro...havent seen gas prices that low in I cant tell you when back East.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
I plan to move to Pueblo in Dec. I was wondering if someone could give me info on what parts of town are considered 'safe''

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
The south side, north side, downtown, and suburbs like Pueblo West (Pueblo's largest suburb), Beulah, Rye (they are smaller are have a small drive to downtown) and if you want a more farming atmosphere there are the eastern suburbs of Blende, Avondale, Boone or as people in Pueblo call it "the county".

The two main areas to avoid are the lower east side and Bessemer. Although I go there to shop and eat out as they have some great local restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado