Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 PM

508 posts, read 663,409 times

Advertisements

Well, I think so. It says:

"There were no incidents found in Pueblo, CO within the past 90 days. You are now viewing a historic version of all the data we have on Pueblo, CO from the beginning of our records."

But then there is a ton of data being mapped starting from sometime in late 2011 or early 2012 until early 2013. When I limit it to 1/1/2013 through 2/25/2013, it reports over 600 incidents in a 2 month period. Its kind of crashy when I try to zoom in on an area and get an idea of what I'm looking at - keeps resetting to zoomed all the way out every time I try to drag to the area I want and/or zoom in. I may have to try it in a couple of different browsers and see if I can get it to work better.

But the data seems to be there at least for 2012 through 2013, if I can just get it to stabilize so I can zoom in and move around.

Thanks, I will work with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 PM

18,014 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I couldn't get the thing to zoom in either. So I went to look at the sex offenders and those are some creepy looking mugs. I even selected specific zip codes to narrow it down.

Gladly, I've never seen nor know any of these characters. But when you thumb through the pages, you see the same mugs over and over and over again. Makes you wonder what the real numbers are. Maybe the same for the crimes, idk.

I just tried "unchecking all crime types" and then selected one, then go below to see a list. It goes way back to 2008.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 AM

508 posts, read 663,409 times
I can zoom in and pan around in Exploder, so that's helping. But overall - not seeing much of a difference between one neighborhood and another. In fact, one of the areas people seem to like - Abrienda? Had 3 incidents of violence in 2012 - one of which was a murder - while the dreaded East Side also had 3 incidents, less severe and no murder, not clustered and spread across a wider area. There don't seem to be clusters of violence in the East side. Lots of graffiti all over town - which for some reason is lumped in with arson and some other more serious crimes, so every single one of those in that category has to be individually evaluated because there is no way to filter just the graffiti out. Bessemer has a higher density of crime than the East End, though not by much.

I've never seen crime so evenly distributed across a city. It is really looking like you just have to evaluate each place block by block. I guess I have to look for "islands" where the surrounding 2 or 3 block radius is kept up because no matter where I look (except out towards the very edges) things are mostly pretty close together, and pretty much the same in most cases as far as crime goes regardless of the reputation of the area.

There's a lot of grafitti, a lot of car theft or breakins to vehicles/stealing vehicle parts - which is one thing I don't have to worry about, not owning a car or vehicle of any kind. I'm just going to have to sift through the available data on a case by case basis and thank my lucky stars that googlemaps recently updated the majority of their ground-level pics.

As for the sex offenders - and frankly people who have had to do without in general - a lot of those guys look real rough because they are or have been alcoholics, and/or have suffered from not enough food/medical care, inadequate housing, and far too much hard manual labor. Some of them may have other more serious convictions even if their "sex offender" status is bogus.

One of the biggest problems I see with our penal system today (and there are many) is that someone can't ever really get out from under the burden of a past conviction even once they've served their sentence. It wasn't always that way - a man who served his time and thereafter kept himself on the straight and narrow could rebuild his life. Now, that conviction follows you forever and makes it nearly impossible to get a good job that DOESN'T have criminal connections. But that's an entirely different issue... suffice it to say you can't tell from looking who is and isn't a threat, because the guy who mooned somebody and has a conviction for mj use is going to look just as rough as the guy who raped a woman at knife point, or the guy who relieved himself in public but also has convictions for assault and battery. The whole sex offender registry thing really needs to be overhauled.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 AM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
most of the people I know in Colorado or who are from Colorado are slightly racist and see the area from Canon City west and south (as well as Greeley) as Mexican land and undesirable.
This. Coloradoans see brown skin and "that's all she wrote."

People coming up from Albuquerque think Pueblo is "great."

Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,558 times
Default Pueblo Crime Data Terribly and Unfairly Flawed

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I want to share a story with you that I feel is extremely important. I am a huge CSU Pueblo football fan ( and alumni) and this year we successfully made it to the NCAA playoffs again. The team we hosted in the playoffs this year was Grand Valley State, which is a university in Michigan. I was reading some information on a D2 football forum about the upcoming game and one of the Grand Valley fans posted the crime statistics for Pueblo from this City-Data website. The information I read was appalling and did not reflect the blue collar town I will always call my hometown. Sure the theft and burglary statistics in Pueblo are high, but this can be expected of a town that has a lot of poverty. What shocked me in this report were the violent crimes statistics. In particular, it showed an unusually high number of sexual assault and rape numbers for 2013. It's import for everyone to know that Pueblo on average has about 34 on rape cases reported over the past 10 years. What's glaring in this report is that the Pueblo Police reported 165 rapes in 2013. I was flabbergasted!!!

How could this be? Were there a couple serial rapist in Pueblo in 2013?

I went to Google and found nothing. So, how could Pueblo have experienced so many sexual assaults that are seriously affecting the reputation of the this medium sized city so negatively. Pueblo Is completely RED on the City-Data map and those rape numbers from 2013 are the reason why.

I decided to do a little bit of research. I contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Public Affairs Office in Denver where I live and asked them if they knew about those rape numbers for Pueblo in 2013. The woman on the phone told me she was well of aware of the numbers and confirmed they are deeply flawed. She agreed those numbers could be affecting Pueblo's crime statistics and told me the Pueblo Police Department would have the correct statistics for 2013 regarding sexual assault and rape. I contacted the Pueblo Police Department and was sent to the voicemail of their public affairs person. I have actually called this person twice and left two voicemail messages and haven't heard a darn thing.

Why would the Pueblo Police not want to create some type of retraction to the media and make sure this inaccurate data is corrected?

Here is the page and I look forward to your responses

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Colorado.html

Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Those crime stats are likely from the FBI, and they changed the definition of Rape in 2013.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ent-crime/rape

Look at other cities and you'll likely see a similar spike in the rape numbers.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I've merged Bugaboo's new thread into our existing thread on the topic of Pueblo crime and crime rates.

We need to keep our info and knowledge contained in a concise number of threads to maximize value to readers and reduce searching around for data.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Those crime stats are likely from the FBI, and they changed the definition of Rape in 2013.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ent-crime/rape

Look at other cities and you'll likely see a similar spike in the rape numbers.
Not true. The variance for the other cities in Colorado are not as great as it is for Pueblo. The numbers in Colorado Springs were 358 in 2012 and then 370 in 2013. It is likely the Pueblo Police Department didn't want to go sifting through the data to report the right number, so instead, they just reported all sex crimes as rape. Let's be honest people. No matter how the FBI changes the reporting criteria, it's irresponsible for City-Data to compare pre-2013 statistics to that year. It makes Pueblo look a rapists convention happened that year. Shame on City-Data for making Pueblo look so bad.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 PM

18,014 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Hey Bugaboo, welcome to City-Data forums. But being a fellow Puebloan such as myself, grow some thicker skin or learn to cope. There's a whole lot more Pueblo bashin' on the internet than that.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hey Bugaboo, welcome to City-Data forums. But being a fellow Puebloan such as myself, grow some thicker skin or learn to cope. There's a whole lot more Pueblo bashin' on the internet than that.
Well I'm sure 96% of it is racism, but these rape statistics are 100% wrong ethically and morally. Not only did the Pueblo Police department fail to report the right numbers (confirmed by the FBI). It's completely pathetic that City-Data would compare those 2013 numbers to the previous reporting years that did not contain the new FBI criteria for rape. It's disgusting low blow in my opinion. A person would have to be thick headed, libelous, or just plain stupid to not see a potential error in making that statistical comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado