Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 09:10 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times

Advertisements

Somebody is listing one reason for leaving is because of King Soopers?

Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
I left because I wanted to see what it was like living somewhere else, having lived in CO for my lifetime. Having some fun living next to the ocean right now, but don't want to make a long go of it.

Plan to be back in Colorado within the next few years, but will be nowhere close to Denver metro, or even Front Range by extension. Only time I will ever return to Denver is to use the airport.

Hopefully the state won't have burned to a crisp, the beetles won't have eaten everything up and there will still be water resources available.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:22 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Somebody is listing one reason for leaving is because of King Soopers?
No. Just saying the food in Colorado isn't great- coming from Texas I really miss HEB.

Obviously this isn't the main reason. It's just one item in the list but it's actual weighted score is pretty low. Family is by far more important.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:43 AM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
I agree with the food issue. (Comparing Steamboat to the Boston area and New England farmers markets etc. )
I have moved to and left CO twice.
When I came back the second time the food was a smack in the face. I knew seafood would be bad, but I thought other products would be comparable, and maybe the steaks would be better? Nope. Just bad selection, 30-40% higher prices, and the Farmer's Market was a joke.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:56 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Maybe I'm just young and naive and have my grass is greener glasses on, but it seems like other Rocky Mountain West states give a little better bang for their buck. Utah has better skiing and the outdoor rec is a lot closer. Wyoming has much if not more dramatic mountains, but is very unpopulated and undiscovered (except the Yellowstone Jackson valley). Idaho doesn't have a water problem and has all the mountains bunched together in one spot.

I think the reason CO still pulls people (has the biggest raw number of transplants) is it's the liberal, non Mormon, weed and beer friendly alternative to the rather conservative mountain west counterparts. And a lot of people still want or need urban centers, despite the urban centers underperforming at handling the influx. The fitness scene is a huge pull too. Clearly people aren't solely google earthing and determining Colorado has their most ideal topography judging by how many people move here clueless that COS and Denver are not actually inside the mountains. It's that it's a lifestyle match first, then a place that has topography / climate they want. The state has a very popular public opinion and good marketing as well. Also I think people are overly scared of Mormons and conservatives though, and fail to look past the labels at the people behind them.

Me personally, I think my body does better in a wetter, slightly warmer, less UV intense climate and that satisfies my inner plant nerd better. I think the primary states I'd desire to move to eastward would be Missouri or northern Arkansas. They have a lot of public land, don't have nasty winters, have good COL to income ratios, and don't have the overt Jesusland mentality.

Last edited by Phil P; 09-30-2019 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Maybe I'm just young and naive and have my grass is greener glasses on, but it seems like other Rocky Mountain West states give a little better bang for their buck. Utah has better skiing and the outdoor rec is a lot closer. Wyoming has much if not more dramatic mountains, but is very unpopulated and undiscovered (except the Yellowstone Jackson valley). Idaho doesn't have a water problem and has all the mountains bunched together in one spot.

I think the reason CO still pulls people (has the biggest raw number of transplants) is it's the liberal, non Mormon, weed and beer friendly alternative to the rather conservative mountain west counterparts. And a lot of people still want or need urban centers, despite the urban centers underperforming at handling the influx. The fitness scene is a huge pull too. Clearly people aren't solely google earthing and determining Colorado has their most ideal topography judging by how many people move here clueless that COS and Denver are not actually inside the mountains. It's that it's a lifestyle match first, then a place that has topography / climate they want. The state has a very popular public opinion and good marketing as well. Also I think people are overly scared of Mormons and conservatives though, and fail to look past the labels at the people behind them.

Me personally, I think my body does better in a wetter, slightly warmer, less UV intense climate and that satisfies my inner plant nerd better. I think the primary states I'd desire to move to eastward would be Missouri or northern Arkansas. They have a lot of public land, don't have nasty winters, have good COL to income ratios, and don't have the overt Jesusland mentality.
Having lived in Missouri, Google tornado, ice storm, floods and ticks. You’ll want to brush up on these before you move.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I agree with the food issue. (Comparing Steamboat to the Boston area and New England farmers markets etc. )
When I came back the second time the food was a smack in the face. I knew seafood would be bad, but I thought other products would be comparable, and maybe the steaks would be better? Nope. Just bad selection, 30-40% higher prices, and the Farmer's Market was a joke.
A lot of Colorado’s produce and fruits come from the Western Slope. We find the fruits and vegetables here in Grand Junction awesome. There are many farm stores in the valley that sell only local products. They are seasonal of course, but when you can get something harvested within days it changes the flavor profile.

I understand how finding fresher foods in ski resorts might be harder, but when you chose a more remote location, somethings become a compromise.

Colorado is also more known for bison and lamb.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
You're comparing a metro area of 4 million plus to an isolated town in Northwest Colorado with a population of under 15,000. It's a completely absurd apples to oranges comparison - even with the resorts.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Mormonism may play a bit of a role, but SLC is really underwhelming for its size. At 2.5 million, the CSA is only about a million people smaller than Denver, but it feels even smaller than that. SLC is the biggest city in Utah. At around 200k it's less than 1/3 the size of Denver and is about 33% smaller than Aurora. Downtown is small, and compared to Denver, the nightlife and big city amenities absolutely suck. It's still very much a cowtown (and it's so white it makes Denver look diverse).

Utah is also less mountainous than Colorado. Utah has around 100 peaks above 12,000 feet. Colorado has around 1,300. The only range with peaks above 13,000 are the Uintas and they're 90+ minutes from Salt Lake.

The Wasatch Front towers above I-15, but at just under 12,000' it's not much higher than the Rampart Range. They look bigger because SLC is only around 4,000'. The lowest point in the entire state of Colorado is 3300'.

The skiing aspect isn't really as clear-cut. Utah gets more snow and has more areas closer to SLC, but in terms of skier visits, Colorado has 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 resorts. Utah has zero in the top 10.

FWIW, IMNSHO Utah is more renown for its canyons and deserts than its mountains.

Idaho and Wyoming are even more rural and white bread than the Front Range.

Boise has a decent economy, but it's closer to Colorado Springs than Denver.

Wyoming's economy is a sh*tshow. That state literally has nothing going for it other than O&G, mineral extraction, and tourism.

Denver draws because it's the clear winner when it comes to balancing outdoor recreation, urbanity/amenities and economy.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-30-2019 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 08:18 AM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're comparing a metro area of 4 million plus to an isolated town in Northwest Colorado with a population of under 15,000. It's a completely absurd apples to oranges comparison - even with the resorts.
That's why I mentioned it.

But the Safeway in Steamboat was no different than the one in Evergreen. I live in a town much smaller than Evergreen now, and farther from a city. But the food at the local grocery is miles ahead of anywhere I have been in CO.

I am not a foodie or a locavore, just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado