Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 43,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not to be impolite, but if the guy is sweating driving in winter weather to visit Colorado, he probably wouldn't cut it as lineman working in Colorado, either. Those guys have to be ready and able to be out in the worst weather that Colorado can offer to do their jobs.
I currently work at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station if that doesn't say anything
With temps ranging form -45 to -10F. Its not bad down here as long as you wear your thermals and carharrts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I just thought a bit more neighborly slack might be nice. Checking out roads in a new spot and being cautious is more mature than just jumping into doing something you might not have done before.

Looking back on it closer, I guess he said he was 20 in a post from 2008. So around 25 now I guess. Still fairly young in these times.
Yeah I am 25 now. Been bouncing around what I have been wanting to do and when the economy tanked, that didn't help me at all. I finally came down to a decision to leave MD and start something new. I was gonna go or an oil job when I got in contact with people about becoming a lineman. I was wanting to do it before just never gave it serious thought until now (wanted to do electricity before, but went to college instead). I met with some CO electricians and they recommended the union in Colorado and I know the apprenticeship is supposed to be about 5 years. I was just concerned if there was enough work to go into it, but I know CO is a growing area so I was hoping some local lineman would chime in.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norther100 View Post
...I was gonna go or an oil job when I got in contact with people about becoming a lineman. I was wanting to do it before just never gave it serious thought until now (wanted to do electricity before, but went to college instead). I met with some CO electricians and they recommended the union in Colorado and I know the apprenticeship is supposed to be about 5 years. I was just concerned if there was enough work to go into it, but I know CO is a growing area so I was hoping some local lineman would chime in.
Stick with power distribution, rather than 'oil'. There will be a lot of attention / work in the national distribution network. Be cautious with union promoters and get the full scoop (including a SIGNED apprenticeship commitment) The toughest thing is COMPLETING an apprenticeship, as you will have lots of better paying opportunities come up during your apprenticeship. I had some old-timers / Europeans who slapped enough sense into me to keep me on task till I was complete (5 yrs). I highly recommend the apprenticeship with a company / union / gov rather than trade school. (and expect 'placement'). Skilled trades requiring apprenticeships / masters license are not keen on hiring a trade school grad (who will have to become and apprentice 5+ more yrs, and NOT bring top revenue to company). Trade schools have become very overpriced (equivalent of college, and same career guaranty (NOTHING... Thanks for the DOUGH)). USA is really BEHIND in vocational / technical Edu and employment.

Fortunately I did my skilled trade apprenticeship (nights) during my Engineering school (day), and graduated with both (by age 23). My Technical skillset is really what clicked for me and served me well (Income and experience). I went back and forth every 5 yrs or so to stay current in both fields. My company had plenty of opportunities and positions for either career. I continued in school and got 5 different degrees in my free time (and all were paid by employer). (latest grad degree at post age 50. probably of minimal value except to volunteer efforts in my retirement.)

Do get a broader edu than strictly lineman. It is very physical... fine at age 25, but if you get hurt... there goes 100% of your earnings capability. I got to care for a disabled father (injured from career) for 30+ yrs and it wasn't fun for either. There are better options... being diversified in earnings potential.

BTW... I have always wanted to do a couple tours at Antarctica Research Station, still plan to fit in if possible. (getting old)

Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Stick with power distribution, rather than 'oil'. There will be a lot of attention / work in the national distribution network. Be cautious with union promoters and get the full scoop (including a SIGNED apprenticeship commitment) The toughest thing is COMPLETING an apprenticeship, as you will have lots of better paying opportunities come up during your apprenticeship. I had some old-timers / Europeans who slapped enough sense into me to keep me on task till I was complete (5 yrs). I highly recommend the apprenticeship with a company / union / gov rather than trade school. (and expect 'placement'). Skilled trades requiring apprenticeships / masters license are not keen on hiring a trade school grad (who will have to become and apprentice 5+ more yrs, and NOT bring top revenue to company). Trade schools have become very overpriced (equivalent of college, and same career guaranty (NOTHING... Thanks for the DOUGH)). USA is really BEHIND in vocational / technical Edu and employment.

Fortunately I did my skilled trade apprenticeship (nights) during my Engineering school (day), and graduated with both (by age 23). My Technical skillset is really what clicked for me and served me well (Income and experience). I went back and forth every 5 yrs or so to stay current in both fields. My company had plenty of opportunities and positions for either career. I continued in school and got 5 different degrees in my free time (and all were paid by employer). (latest grad degree at post age 50. probably of minimal value except to volunteer efforts in my retirement.)

Do get a broader edu than strictly lineman. It is very physical... fine at age 25, but if you get hurt... there goes 100% of your earnings capability. I got to care for a disabled father (injured from career) for 30+ yrs and it wasn't fun for either. There are better options... being diversified in earnings potential.

BTW... I have always wanted to do a couple tours at Antarctica Research Station, still plan to fit in if possible. (getting old)
My company I believe hires lineman for the McMurdo Station for both the summer (can include winfly) and winter season.

I am working on my masters degree, but I do like working outside more than I do in an office which pushed me more into looking at the lineman job (in HS I was going to go through the electrician program but opted not to). Doing physical work does not really phase me. When I I ran at a volunteer station, I was the guy they sent through the ceiling to run the wires or eithernet cables.
I have been poking around to see about an apprenticeship and making sure that there was enough work. A guy I talked to did it years ago but mentioned that he was laid off all the time; dunno where he did it though. Another person down here mentioned a company that work on the power grid in the oil fields and did two week rotations as well as having stable work.

Would you happen to know how big of a demand there are for lineman apprentices in CO? Are there certian companies you would recommend that are known to take on apprentices?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
The two biggest contracting companies that I've seen doing line construction work outside of the utilities themselves in Colorado have been Sturgeon Electric out of Henderson, CO (just NE of Denver) and P.A.R. out of Kansas City (they have a satellite office in Aurora, CO). For that type of work, there is probably more demand in the energy patch of Wyoming and North Dakota than there is in Colorado.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The two biggest contracting companies that I've seen doing line construction work outside of the utilities themselves in Colorado have been Sturgeon Electric out of Henderson, CO (just NE of Denver) and P.A.R. out of Kansas City (they have a satellite office in Aurora, CO). For that type of work, there is probably more demand in the energy patch of Wyoming and North Dakota than there is in Colorado.
Yes, actually keeping in 'energy (electric transmission) centric' CO, WY, ND, UT, ID should give enough territory for getting through apprenticeship. Distributed generation will be a big thing, as well as upgrades to main transmission. Life is brutal on the plains in the winter... You won't be in a heated building on a man lift running Ethernet cables on crummy days. By All means finish your College AND get into a high paying technical skill that gives you more time outdoors. AND finish all programs BEFORE spouse / kids / house. Plenty of time LATER. Tough to take the necessary time when accountable to others. Don't drag this out... Git-er-done SOON.

Plenty of wind operations in TX and PNW that are running new transmission lines.

Subscribe to EnerG magazine to enjoy seeing where new stuff / alternative energy is being installed. Subscribe, altenerG.com - enerG Magazine, a bi-monthly publication - The leading North American publication on the business of alternative energy

But... get your time in on conventional projects... Alternative Energy gets it's tail whipped by politics and (well meaning ??) US Gov incentives... the sharks come and make a killing till the GOV gets burnt and the pot is dry... then the incentives (subsidies) subside. It is so interesting that many of the sharks that came back, I had last seen in the 1975 oil crisis and following US credits for solar. Scumbags supported by healthy gov dollars unnecessarily raising the price of needed technology until it is not viable.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM

Yeah I plan on continuing my masters degree. It is in environmental management so the field is somewhat related. It is online so I can work on it whenever. I looked into the two construction companies jazzlover mentioned and they both use ibew workers. Still looking into what else is out there but I may apply for the local union in COS when I return in March. Part of my family is/was in the utility business and as my brother put it, "the utilities are not going away any time soon."

I did see that some states will be end part of their subsidization of alternative energy soon so that I will keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado