Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 AM

332 posts, read 287,960 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been following postings here for awhile in an effort to learn where to check out for my move to Colorado. I want to be near/in mountains in an area with lots of greenery (not so interested in desert landscape). I am hoping to find a community of maybe 100K, with quaint areas with coffee shops, bookstores, yoga studios...I'm a single female 54 so would hope I could meet up with like-minded people who like being outside hiking etc...Am not into 'nite-life'. Am not interested in Washington State (re:greenery). It sounds like Boulder is expensive, Colorado Springs is mostly military and kind of ghetto? sorry. Golden looks nice, but would it be too small? Fort Collins? I like the areas west of I-25 and North of I-70 I think. Any ideas on a good itinerary for a Monday-Friday visit in August? I work as an RN and plan to have work lined up before I go. Also, I will be renting to start. I may need to work in Denver. Lot's of questions here. Maybe Denver itself would be an option if I could find a good neighboorhood fit for me? Wheaton, Littleton...? Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 AM

11,840 posts, read 34,480,498 times
There is no Wheaton, you mean Wheat Ridge. Job first, then live local.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,771 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Lyons, Boulder, Golden would be my first stops.

Since you are over age 50... join Evergreen or Affordable travel clubs and stay with local people (CHEAP... $10 / night) the fun, knowledge, safety, and relationships will make your trip 200% more special, and help with your quest.

Follow by stops at Estes Park, Ft Collins and Loveland (Be sure to go visit when you can enjoy this event!!!) again staying with local people (There is a 'profile' of each host so you can find someone to help you with your interests). http://www.artintheparkloveland.com/

Then throw in Woodland Park and Manitou Springs.

You will find your spot. I just don't do Denver, but I'm sure there are liveable places there too.

You might still consider WA or OR. East side of states is dry (but not as brown as Colorado). I would choose Wenatchee in WA, or Bend, OR. a $89 SWA flight is a good use of a weekend. Portland has a zillion RN positions. Most of my Happy Med friends work at Adventist medical center. If you weren't into Yoga... I would recommend Sheridan, WY or Sturgis, SD (VA). INCOME TAX free states allowed me to retire early. Being 1 hr to coast or Mtns is pretty nice (Portland area). You can live and work in Vancouver, WA, and shop in Oregon if you want to avoid taxes. Lpots of RN jobs in Vancouver as well (including a small VA center). I mention VA cuz my Sis gets tremendous perks as a RNA in VA. Retirement is not too shabby ... and she has spent most of her tenure at VA getting free schooling! She didn't start VA till age 50, and just keeping 1 day / month there she gets benefits... That is a GOOD Deal!

Look to AK as well!!! good paying jobs and no state TAX (Sales or income). If single and working... I would be there in a heartbeat! I have a friend running jet Medivac in AK. He works 10 days / month. That is about right! More time to enjoy all the great stuff in AK.

If you can fit in SD to your Colorado trip... Go stay at MainstreetHostel in Lead, SD. The gal there is GREAT for Outdoor activities and fun stuff to do / retirement ideas. She did a "round the world' bike trip AFTER she retired. Nearby trail and community pool is worth living close to!!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-12-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,134,239 times
You will not get everything you want out of this. You will have to prioritize.

Most jobs will be in the Denver area east of Broadway as that is where most hospitals and medical plazas are located. There are only two hospitals in Jefferson County (that is where the mountains start). The main medical facilities in Jeffco are Kaiser offices.

There are no real independent communities in the metro area, the cities merge into each other in one big blob.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
We have four main hospitals in COLO SPGS (Memorial Main, Memorial North, Penrose Main, St Francis)

Only a small area is considered even remotely ghetto.

There are areas here that have the coffee shops and hiking you seek. Don't rule us out. Consider the west side of town, known as Old Colorado City (OCC) or artsy fartsy Manitou Springs, or even up the hill in Woodland Park.

There is hiking WITHIN the city, on the west side, at Garden of the Gods and Red Rocks Open Area, plus much more.

Pix of Red Rocks Open Space

Pix of Garden of the Gods park.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-12-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM

332 posts, read 287,960 times
Thanks for your info. I'm concentrating on Colorado to start. Vancouver is neat, and I've heard good things about Bend too. I have family in MN (where I live now) and access to good flights is a plus. I'll miss the Art Fair unfortunately. I plan to rent a car (proving to be really expensive?!) and just kind of drive around; doesn't sound too efficient. Have enjoyed Estes Park; can't make that part of this visit. AK too remote and WY not much there (just my impressions?). I lived in western MT and really liked it; beautiful, laid back and not too expenseive. It's just that there aren't a lot of job opps and they don't pay very well. Flights expensive. I need to look at my road atlas and plot out stops to Lyon, Woodland Park, Manitou Springs. Have been to Boulder for a brief time and it looks great, but I'm not sure about the higher cost of living and job opps there. I don't like the idea of going to the mountains and living in a big city - Denver. I'm envious of your early retirement StealthRabbbit! I plan to work for 8 more years or so. I want see mountains, but I don't want to have to drive for hours to hike in them. Am I nuts!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,174,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
I want to be near/in mountains in an area with lots of greenery (not so interested in desert landscape).
You really need to visit here and see if you like the landscape. Most of Colorado is considered high desert and it is much dryer than say the mountains in the eastern US or Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,456,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
You really need to visit here and see if you like the landscape. Most of Colorado is considered high desert and it is much dryer than say the mountains in the eastern US or Pacific Northwest.
"Letting go of the green..." - Some Western writer I should remember. Wallace Stegner maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado