Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:41 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
I like this one. It shows the comparisons in more contrast given the overlaid videos and cars especially in that right turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
Great video! That makes the advantages of true winter tires pretty clear. The only thing to keep in mind is that ice on an ice rink is not the same as what most of us are driving in. It's obviously slicker, but it's also free of obstructions, changing terrain and other vehicles. So what may be appropriate for one region (or even one route) may not be appropriate for another. So it's definitely good to buy appropriate tires, but far better to learn how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Nope, can't agree with number 4. Awd - at least the better systems - can make a dramatic difference in everyday driving. Also, awd improves your traction and control in rainy conditions as well as snow. A good awd drive system can detect tire slip and restore traction in a tiny fraction of a second in conditions where a 2wd car will just keep the tire spinning all the way into the ditch.

However, if I had to choose between good snow tires on a 2wd system and all season tires on awd for snow and ice I'd take the snow tires every time; for the improved braking if nothing else. But that is fortunately not the only choice.

Not to high-jack the thread, but is there room here for discussion of experiences with some of the different awd systems and their good and bad points? I will note that I find the Mercedes 4-matic to be little short of amazing.
Not all AWD systems are created equal. Some are far better than others. Would I rather have it than not, of course I would.

In everyday driving they don't make a dramatic difference because at most times power is only going to one or two wheels. 99% of the time you are driving along at a set speed down a road in a relatively straight line.

Where they come into play is in conditions such as climbing a hill, in those cases, depending on the capability of that particular system, they can shift power to other tires with grip.

But still no matter the system, the vehicle dynamic control and other mechanical and technological systems, they are limited by the ability of the tire. If I put mud tires on a Lamborghini, it's not going handle very well at 150 mph. If I put crummy tires on a Subaru, that AWD system will try it's best but again it's the tires that meet the road. If I put Ugg boots on Usain Bolt, he will only be able to run so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado