Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 26,326 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've done a bit of homework. North of Denver is the place to live for me and work it seems (please tell me if I'm wrong). Arvada looks good.

As a former Chicago guy stuck sweating in Fl after leaving the Navy, CO has been my desire for a while now. I'd like to converse with some network professionals (or road bike enthusiasts heh) who might be contacts to meet up with when I visit in March 2007 to do "fact finding" etc. So, details....

My stats:[*]7+ years Enterprise Networking, mostly Cisco designs and implementations. CCNP/CCDP and other certs. Obtaining CCIE R&S shouldn't be too far off.

My desires:

- 30 minutes or less of a commute at peak of rush hour. 45min tops. Most importantly is freely moving traffic.
- An apartment that is new and in the best planned neighborhood. Cost not an issue. Westward Look seems nice, opinions?
- Looking for about $80-85 a year salary (for now). I'm actively looking on Indeed dot com. Any other ideas/websites?
- Mountain views and/or rolling hills

I would appreciate some opinions and maybe some facts if you will please. Maybe I can pick up the tab at your favorite restaurant.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
If you had a good clearance with Uncle Sam, it would be perfect for you in Colorado Springs. With so many people needing background checks now, there is quite a backlog to get one. So if you HAVE one that's still good, or a PRIOR one that's easily verified, such folks get hired quickly, and often for good wages, not just by Uncle but also by a small army of contractors that support all the DoD stuff in town. The higher your former clearance, the easier it will be for you.

Not sure of salary levels, but we sure have mountains right AT your door, tons of cycling, rolling hills, flat plains, high mountains, very affordable too. We have a ton of high tech firms here...same for Denver area. Use the Search this Forum tool on keywords Intel or Lockheed and it'll zero in on the postings that list a ton of tech firms.

Good luck to you bud.
s/Mike

Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 26,326 times
Thanks Mike.

Good point. I've held Uncle Sam's secret clearance up until '98 and I've kept my nose clean since so maybe it cost a lot less to activate it.

I wouldn't mind to work with DoD/ex-mil people since they generally have a good work ethic etc.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,164 times
Hey there-

On a website like military.com you can get postings for jobs that is DOD work. My husband worked for SAIC and they paid for his clearance. Most companies here will pay for your clearance if they like you in the interview and your resume. bashep

Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 AM

198 posts, read 959,817 times
Have you tried dice.com? They have nothing but tech jobs all over the us. Its what I use most of the time......

Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM

54 posts, read 302,174 times
Default Q for Mike from Back East...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you had a good clearance with Uncle Sam, it would be perfect for you in Colorado Springs. With so many people needing background checks now, there is quite a backlog to get one. So if you HAVE one that's still good, or a PRIOR one that's easily verified, such folks get hired quickly, and often for good wages, not just by Uncle but also by a small army of contractors that support all the DoD stuff in town. The higher your former clearance, the easier it will be for you.

Not sure of salary levels, but we sure have mountains right AT your door, tons of cycling, rolling hills, flat plains, high mountains, very affordable too. We have a ton of high tech firms here...same for Denver area. Use the Search this Forum tool on keywords Intel or Lockheed and it'll zero in on the postings that list a ton of tech firms.

Good luck to you bud.
s/Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry, can you explain a little bit more by what you meant by Uncle Sam jobs? My husband and I worked for a military testing installation with mostly government employees/civilians than military. My husband is also a veteran and we both have security clearance. Are there military installations or government jobs in Colorado and if so could you tell us which installations and where they are located at in Colorado? We are both looking to mover there and are just trying to narrow down our search as to what city and start applying for jobs! Thank you so much for any help you can give us! It is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Uncle Sam = anything Federal or contractors working for the Federal Government (includes DoD).

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...light=military

Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 PM

54 posts, read 302,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Uncle Sam = anything Federal or contractors working for the Federal Government (includes DoD).

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...light=military
Okay, thanks a bunch Mike! Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado